TrinityRiverKerplunk

Ride Report: Wallowas, Blue Mtns., and SE Oregon, part 2

After doing Mt. Fanny, we headed to Anthony Lakes the next day to ride the Elkhorn Crest Trail. At first I led us on the a wrong turn, and we ended up hitting a dead end trail at one of the small lakes there. After returning to the main trail, we ran into a gentlemen named John from Hood River, very pleasant guy.

The Elkhorn Crest trail is rocky and reminds more of the Sierra Nevadas than anywhere else in the west I've rode at. Absolutely beautiful there, I look forward to returning. Great place to get my technical skills in short order.

Finally we ended up on Steens Mtn in the south eastern part of the state. Plans to ride halfway up were abruptly cut short as we saw the mountain was enveloped in a storm, or so it appeared. So we drove all the way up and parked the car. Rode the remaining portion of the gated road, and its one hell of a drop-off. Next year our plans will include three days here, the loop road is approximately 40 miles or so for the dirt aspect of the road.

Next year we're also considering adding the Mt. Strawberry area to our list of rides. Driving by I was very impressed by that set of rocks, anyone have some suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Report: Wallowas, Blue Mtns., and SE Oregon, part 2-elkhorncrest1.jpg  

Ride Report: Wallowas, Blue Mtns., and SE Oregon, part 2-elkhorncrest2.jpg  

Ride Report: Wallowas, Blue Mtns., and SE Oregon, part 2-elkhorncrest3.jpg  

Ride Report: Wallowas, Blue Mtns., and SE Oregon, part 2-elkhorncrest4.jpg  

Ride Report: Wallowas, Blue Mtns., and SE Oregon, part 2-elkhorncrest5.jpg  

Ride Report: Wallowas, Blue Mtns., and SE Oregon, part 2-steens1.jpg  

Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Strawberry mtn is in a wilderness area if I remember right. Seems like there ought to be some riding outside the wilderness though...

To the S of Steens mtn there used to be rough doubletracks all of over the place. I was deer hunting there in the 80s and want to get back there on my mtn bike.