mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ride Report - Old Mac Hwy (*warning, roadie content*)

Hopefully I donít get flamed too much for posting roadie content on a MTB forum Ė If it helps, I much prefer dirt singletrack myself.

The reason Iím posting it is because most of my MTB buddies love this ride and look forward to it each season, and it really shouldnít be missed no matter what type of biking you do. My understanding is that itís going to remain closed to vehicle traffic for a bit longer, so get it while itís good!

Hereís my ride report:
    Wheels & Water: Ride Report - Old Mckenzie Hwy (5.5.13)

-Nate

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well done -- thanks for that!!

We did the ride up from the Sisters side on Saturday (I rode from Tumalo State Park, taking the dirt backroads; the wife met me in Sisters).

F#$king horrible! It was not your experience. About 42 degrees and raining sideways when we hit Windy Point. Which was well named -- the wind was scary-strong. I am looking forward to trying it again next year, hopefully on a warmer day!

Quite a contrast to my ride the prior weekend in The Dalles -- 70 miles in 90+ heat, pretty much worrying about whether my water supply (huge camelbak and two large bottles) was going to run out before I got to the next place to get water (it did -- twice). Think I prefer the heat!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the tip. Used to ride up Minarets road out of N fork Ca in Mays past to see how far I could get before blocked by snow. This looks so much better with other cyclists and no cars. First big ride when I get back home to Or next May.