mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ride Report - Mt Saint Helens (Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham)

A ride report from our recent trip up to Mt. Saint Helens (WA) for a tour of Ape Canyon and The Plains --such an amazing place! If you live in the area and haven't done it, it's a must do!

Wheels & Water: Mt. Saint Helens, WA - Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham (7.20.13)

-Nate

Old & slow
    Great photos & write up, Nate. I always enjoy your trip reports. I have not had any problems with flies on my ride on St. Helens so it must be an occasional thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That is great. This has been on my list forever. We're looking at doing it in September. When you have a bunch of guys with demanding jobs and young kids (and their activities) (not to mention demanding wives and their activities), it can literally take years to find a good weekend when enough of us are available to have critical mass.

mtbr member
    For a while there the road to the trail was closed/washed out so you had to bike, like, 8 miles or so to get to the trailhead I was told. Is it still that way? I'm not so into that so I never went back. It is a great ride!

Cheers,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjim View Post
    Great photos & write up, Nate. I always enjoy your trip reports.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjim View Post
    I have not had any problems with flies on my ride on St. Helens so it must be an occasional thing.
    I was up there the week after Nate, doing trailwork, and the flies were pretty thick in the trees. Trim branch. Swat flies. Repeat....

Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    For a while there the road to the trail was closed/washed out so you had to bike, like, 8 miles or so to get to the trailhead I was told. Is it still that way? I'm not so into that so I never went back. It is a great ride!
    Nope. Road's been fixed for a couple years now

mtbr member

Cheers,G
    The year the road was washed out was the best, no hikers and you could just rip the Ape Canyon Trail with a little less worry.

As for the flies, they seem to come and go, some rides they are no problem other rides they are terrible. Just keeps you motivated to keep moving.

And thanks for the TR Nate. I've wondered why people on the Oregon Forum don't contribute more TR's (I'm definitely guilty). The other outdoorsy sites that I frequent,Turns-All-Year and Portland Hikers both have places to share trips. I do have to say, the Portland Hikers TR's are a bit boring, but I thoroughly enjoy the TR's on TAY.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Cheers,

G
    It's about 5 miles from Marble Mtn. snow park. I'm nuts... I still park there. It is a great road and hitting the ST after riding a bit is a plus for me. It is a nice spin after climbing out of Smith too. Nate submits a great ride report everytime! Thanks Nate.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Another take on this ride that I have only done twice (when I am feeling a bit masochistic), is park at June Lake trailhead, ride the road to Ape Canyon. Up Ape and across the Plains and back, turning off at the Loowit Trail on the return. Ride and HAB Loowit trail to June Lake trail and down June Lake trail back to truck. Probably smarter and more fun to do that route in the opposite direction, but whoever said I was smart?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    The year the road was washed out was the best, no hikers and you could just rip the Ape Canyon Trail with a little less worry.
    Amen to that. Seems it actually took quite a while for people to make it back out there. But the last 2-3 years & especially last year...well they found it. Don't mind the trail users per say but miss dearly when I had camping at Smith Creek all to my self.

Only ever ridden part of the June Lake trail. Seems rugged man! Lot of hike a bike? Personally my fave way to do St Helens is counter clockwise from Smith Creek. Mega hike a bike up all the scree but you get the "full ride" loop with the fun downhill.

Be up there backpacking this weekend. Hope to god the biting flies are GONE! Rode Falls Creek last weekend and the big gnarly aggressive yellow flies were out something fierce.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ride Report - Mt Saint Helens (Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham)

Nate - thanks for that great report. Inspired me to go out today and do the ride - too bad did not get the blue sky that you guys had. Was great though - should have done this a long time ago.

One question - what camera are you using - love those pictures.

Juergen

Tribe member
    Wow! I've added this to my list of PNW rides to do (ever growing since moving out here a couple months ago).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by juergenor View Post
    Nate - thanks for that great report. Inspired me to go out today and do the ride - too bad did not get the blue sky that you guys had. Was great though - should have done this a long time ago.

One question - what camera are you using - love those pictures.

Juergen
    Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you were able to bag the ride!

As for the camera setup, I was using my Sony NEX-6, with both the 18-200mm and 10-18mm.

Hope this helps,
    Nate

Singletrack Addict
    Nice write up, great photos.

Love that area but I have not been out to ride it yet this year. I am always conflicted because I love the Smith Creek Loop, but as you point out, the Ape Canyon descent is a blast (pun intended).

A great way to get a great descent with less traffic is to do it as a night ride!