mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ride Report - Crater Lake Rim Ride

Here I go again, posting another report of a road bike ride on a MTB forum... Well, this ride is just too damn good not to share and convince you to go do it yourself! Unfortunately, if you want to do it without automobile traffic (East Rim Drive), you'll have to wait until next season to do so.

Wheels & Water: Ride Report - Crater Lake, OR (6.22.13)

-Nate

COTA member
    Great report. I rode it that same day between 9 AM and 11 AM. One of the best rides I ever had. Next year I think I will make it a 50 miler and just stay on the section closed to motorized vehicles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Great post... I must see that lake. The lodge is on my list of things to do as well. BTW, as far as the "road" post goes, I believe that two wheels good about covers it. I always appreciate your adventures.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for sharing. My wife and I spent a few days down there a couple years ago and I was kicking myself for not bringing the road bike. I did get a chance to take a swim in the lake, and damn, it is cold.

I've also wanted to do the trip around the lake during the winter months on skis.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Do they intend to partially open the road to bikes every year? I got the impression from the news about it that it was a one-time thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    Do they intend to partially open the road to bikes every year? I got the impression from the news about it that it was a one-time thing.
    I heard that they were hoping to make it a yearly thing, but have not seen any official statement to validate that - let's hope they make it so!

Even if they don't, you can still catch it before they open it to autos, but it may require walking a couple snowdrifts and around some debris, since it technically wouldn't be cleared.

-Nate