mtbr member

Revenge Of The Siskyous

I did the Revenge of the Siskyous way back in 1988 (fully rigid, of course) and I was wondering if it was still happening? I looked for info and it all seems to be out of date. That was a sick ride. 12miles up, like 20 down, 4 up and another 2 or so down I believe. I think everyone walked Revenge Hill, even Paul Thomasburg. Anyhow, if you have info on it I would be into hearing it.

meatier showers

"Revenge" is legendary

Mudflap oughta be along soon and if so he'll no doubt reminisce with you. He did Revenge at least a couple of times and to this day occasionally babbles about the experience. But to answer your question, no, sadly Revenge is no more. I wish it was. Having never done it myself, but having heard many tall tales, I wish I could take a crack at it.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by Huckler
    ...wondering if it was still happening?...
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

High Speed Botanist

hmmm

This does bring to mind an epic yet maybe not as epic ride known as the Sawtooth Struggle. Was one of the best adventure days of riding I've had. Long ride, great adventure and views, long time off but lookin' forward. Think photomatt got some good stills, and I scored some great video.

-L

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Mudflap oughta be along soon and if so he'll no doubt reminisce with you. He did Revenge at least a couple of times and to this day occasionally babbles about the experience. But to answer your question, no, sadly Revenge is no more. I wish it was. Having never done it myself, but having heard many tall tales, I wish I could take a crack at it.

--Sparty
    Just how tall do you want the tales to be? The Revenge was legendary in these parts, but hasn't happened since ???? I did ride it a few times as Sparty mentioned. After a few times of going too hard on the descent before Revenge Hill, I had one year that I decided to go that section easy as I wanted badly to be able to ride all of Revenge Hill, like the big boyz. (I don't think Paul T did walk it, but he was so far ahead of me that I wouldn't really know). That was indeed the key, to have a little reserve in the legs. I was able to ride the whole thing that time. It was still no record setting pace, but I had achieved my personal objective, so I was happy with it.
    There is some racing in the Ashland area now, but I haven't gone to those types of races in a few years so I don't keep track.

Cheers, Flaps

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The Revenge has not happened for a long time.

The Pro/Expert course was 47-49 miles: ~12 miles up to ski area and the Sport start, a few more miles of climbing before the long descent to Revenge Hill (which the pros did ride) and 6 miles to the finish.

Spring Thaw is the big event in Ashland now.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

More Revenge tidbits

The race was actually two days. Day one was 25 miles for everybody in Jacksonville. Rough, tough and lots of steep long climbs. Day two was 47-49 mile for the pro/experts and went from the plaza in downtown Ashland, up to the Mt. Ashland Ski area, halfway down and back up and then back to the plaza. The sports and beginners were bused up to the lodge and took off for the remaining 32 miles. Lotsa fire road. Come on down and ride it in the summer time. The amount of racers and the excellent job by the promoter made the race.
    [SIZE=2]I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.[/SIZE]

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Was it always 2 days? My first (and only) revenge was the last one held. 1995 I believe. I was a beginner, and it was a long course, though there was so much road that it went by really quick. It was actually a fun course, in spite of having almost no singletrack. I thought the course and format had changed over the years though, and that previous courses had used more trail?

I need to get back down there for some riding....

mtbr member

memories of revenge

Quote Originally Posted by Huckler
    I did the Revenge of the Siskyous way back in 1988 (fully rigid, of course) and I was wondering if it was still happening? I looked for info and it all seems to be out of date. That was a sick ride. 12miles up, like 20 down, 4 up and another 2 or so down I believe. I think everyone walked Revenge Hill, even Paul Thomasburg. Anyhow, if you have info on it I would be into hearing it.
    I rode Revenge of the Siskyous for several years, starting in about 1986 or 1987, never very fast, and usually walking most of Revenge Hill. I had some buddies from KFalls that always did the race and they got me started doing it too. The first 3-4 Revenge(s) I rode were on my Trek Antelope 500 rigid frame with borrowed gloves and no toe clips. Those were the days.

A few years later, after I met my wife (then girlfriend) I got her into mountain biking more and racing a little. She raced Revenge a few times and even made an appearance (3rd) on the Beginner Women's podium one year. I crashed that year on the final descent in the fine gravel and got some pretty good road rash, but no serious injury. I still have a frame pack I won as schwag the first or second time I rode it, plus some t-shirts and water bottles.