mtbr member
    Dec 2008

relocation to central OR

Hi my name is Erik and I am moving to sisters OR over labor day. I MTB race and do quite a bit of road riding and i was just wondering of any pointers about this area.

I am currently in VA I am used to tight wooded rooted single track full of switchbacks. the climbs aren't to long i know that will change with my relocation.

does anybody night ride in this area? I night ride once a week or so and I really enjoy it. I know there are MTN lions which prowl for food at night so is it even safe to be out night riding?

Afric Pepperbird
    The trails around Bend have tight switchbacks with some roots. Mainly, though, lava rocks are more of a technical challenge here than roots. And yes, there are some long climbs (I just did Lava-Edison out and back yesterday. Ouch!)

Mountain lions are everywhere west of the 100th meridian. Don't let such a silly, foolish thought scare you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    so people still suit up in the dark and hit the trails? the shop I work at now does firday night rides and I enjoy night riding so much

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    also from sisters/bend will I be able to find long trail rides and technical trail rides or is most of the stuff in this area fire road like? I really like techy trail and I also like going out for hours.

it means 'no problem'
    check this out for an answer:

http://www.cotamtb.com/trails/

Scroll down to the Google map thingy. I think we're missing a few trails and trailheads but you'll get the idea.

I rode at night in Sisters once, it was a hoot. Nobody really is concerned about cougars or bears but they do live around here, rarely seen.

If you're interested in a non-race mtb event you might want to check this out as well:

http://bendsbigfattour.com/

Lot's of single track riding over three days.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I love everything biking. I race I ride i ride road I ride MTN. I ride fast I ride slow. I love to get other people interested in riding and I ope to work at a bike shop in bend or the one in sisters if i can. Id love to help with trail maintenance and go on easy tour rides but i also like being competitive and racing.

is thre a good racing scene out there?

mtbr member
    http://app.obra.org/

Best racing anywhere! MTB racing season is winding down, Elite / U23 National Road championships next week, Cross season starts in September.
    I'm insane

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by emj5590
    I love everything biking. I race I ride i ride road I ride MTN. I ride fast I ride slow. I love to get other people interested in riding and I ope to work at a bike shop in bend or the one in sisters if i can. Id love to help with trail maintenance and go on easy tour rides but i also like being competitive and racing.

is thre a good racing scene out there?
    Adam Craig, Carl Decker, Ryan Trebon, and Chris Sheppard all live in Bend.

Oh, and the man himself, Chris Horner also resides in Bend for half the year.

Think about that.

Metalheadbikerider

I saw Chris Horner....

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Adam Craig, Carl Decker, Ryan Trebon, and Chris Sheppard all live in Bend.

Oh, and the man himself, Chris Horner also resides in Bend for half the year.

Think about that.
    at the PDX airport last week. I was bummed he didn't make the Astana squad. He must have been on his way to a race. I wanted to say hello, but he was on the phone.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    at the PDX airport last week. I was bummed he didn't make the Astana squad. He must have been on his way to a race. I wanted to say hello, but he was on the phone.
    He was on his way to Chicago for the Chicago Crit and Elk Grove. They (SRAM and possibly others) paid him, Cascade didn't.

He bridged up to me while I was bridging to a break at Chicago last year. He didn't even latch on; he just went straight around me. I've seen some strong dudes, but never seen a motor like that before or since. I've ridden with/raced against a couple of the guys I mentioned above, and it's not even close. Truly another level.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I do not own a cross bike I have a road bike a mtn bike and a steel road frame. Can I race cross on a road bike?

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I do not own a cross bike I have a road bike a mtn bike and a steel road frame. Can I race cross on a road bike?
    I wouldn't. But I've done lots of cross races on a hardtail mtn bike with rigid fork and the skinniest knobs I could find.

I've been in Seattle since '01, and still miss the OBRA cross and mtn bike races. Way better then WA races.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    what about an old steal road frame can I build that up?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Wouldn't a road frame require road caliper brakes? Cross bikes use cantilevers. Road calipers might build up too much mud.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Just use your mtb and see if you like 'cross first. You will see what bikes others are riding, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Just use your mtb and see if you like 'cross first. You will see what bikes others are riding, too.
    I'm just throwing a rigid fork and cross tires on my 29er for cross this year.

I don't even know what the cross categories are (A/B/C or Pro/1/2/3/4..?) , but I figure I'll be a step down from where I am on the road. Whatever.