meatier showers

Relive Bunchgrass

Relive Bunchgrass 7/14/17.

Trail is in great shape, our group of ten hit it last Friday (first day of MBO). There are a few trees down on the Little Bunchgrass section, no cause for concern.

Hydration warning: if the forecast calls for a hot day, do yourself a favor and bring a LOT of water. I'd gone through 3 liters before we reached the Heckletooth section and my experience was typical among our group. Fortunately one in our group thought ahead and stashed water at the Heckletooth road crossing. We needed it. Despite being wheels down at the High Divide trailhead before 9am, we'd all run out by the time we reached Heckletooth several hours later. Forecast high on the day we rode it was only 86F. There's lots of sun-exposed ridgetop riding plus even the benched trail under the forest canopy throughout the Little Bunchgrass section is south facing and can be wiltingly hot.

Mosquitoes were off the hook. Bring repellent.

Despite the challenges -- or perhaps because of them -- Bunchgrass is an awesome experience. As much an ordeal as it is a ride. Frustrating in some places, dangerous in others and often stunningly scenic, Bunchgrass is a 5-star "Earn Yer Brew" ride. After this one, all other rides seem easy.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    thanks for the report!

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the report S'party. I assume you were on gear bike? Anyhow I am heading there Thursday, that trail on Saturday I think. Saturday is final ride there, and it will be 1st time on Bunchgrass. Heads up on water drop is appreciated. 86 does not sound hot, so thanks for warning. How to fight off mosquitos? Long sleeves/repellant plus leggins?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    How to fight off mosquitos?
    DEET. And keep moving. I guess you could treat clothing with permethrin but I didn't find it necessary, across the way on the Middle Fork trail, except when I stopped, so I tried not to stop.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    ... How to fight off mosquitos? Long sleeves/repellant plus leggins?
    Last year I switched from DEET to Picaridin simply because DEET melts nylon and Picaridin does not. IME Picaridin works as well as DEET except for one thing: it has to be reapplied more frequently because repellent manufacturers are limited to using only 20% active ingredient whereas active ingredient can be as much as 100% with DEET.

I've destroyed cycling clothes by applying DEET to them so I'll go ahead with the Picaridin and reapply as needed. The bugs will bite you through your jersey, gloves, etc. if untreated so you might want to treat them with Permethrin in advance or you can simply spray your clothing with Picaridin without worry about damaging them.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Thank you for taking the time to post that! Picaridin it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Damn! That is solid information. Thanks a "Bunch"!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Metalheadbikerider
    Great post. I rode that trail. Once.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent View Post
    Great post. I rode that trail. Once.
    I've ridden Bunchgrass a few times. This was by far the hardest (click). Also participated in several trailwork events on Bunchgrass. While Bunchgrass def needs some trailwork love in specific spots, what it needs now more than anything is traffic.
    =sParty
    aka Davey Sprockett, King of the Wild Front Tire
    disciplesofdirt.org

Metalheadbikerider
    That is a tough day. I loved the tech riding, but the time we spent hiking around the namesake got a little rough on my psyche. I could def see it being improved with more traffic. Been a while. I gotta get down there soon.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Last year I switched from DEET to Picaridin simply because DEET melts nylon and Picaridin does not. IME Picaridin works as well as DEET except for one thing: it has to be reapplied more frequently because repellent manufacturers are limited to using only 20% active ingredient whereas active ingredient can be as much as 100% with DEET.

I've destroyed cycling clothes by applying DEET to them so I'll go ahead with the Picaridin and reapply as needed. The bugs will bite you through your jersey, gloves, etc. if untreated so you might want to treat them with Permethrin in advance or you can simply spray your clothing with Picaridin without worry about damaging them.
    =sParty
    Now that I'm a Minnesotan and have to deal with some fierce mosquitoes whenever I head to the woods, I can echo Sparty's endorsement of Jean-Luc Picaridin. DEET alternatives used to be wimpy (i.e., citronella), but no more. With Picaridin, mosquitoes are more likely to find any spots you missed, but if you apply it thorougly it does the job just about as well. And with way less liver damage. Two (unbitten) thumbs up.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, six more wheels had a great time on Friday. Thanks for the post. What an amazing experience. That is why I ride. We wanted to do it Saturday too. The bugs were not bad at all...phew.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    8 wheels rode it out on Thursday. Mosquitos were horrendous. Wildflowers were some of the best I have ever seen. Some steep steep's and outstanding big forest trail. I especially like when the trail cuts back into the mountain and you can look back across and see your buddies riding up. The best/biggest one I've ever experienced was here. Just old growth on a steep hillside, clover with no underbrush and a brown ribbon of trail made for some great visuals. Mosquitos where horrendous.

We also rode a bunch up on the Timpanogas. Mosquitos were horrendous. Gorgeous country.

Got in Ollalie/O'Learly/Kings from the horse camp and camped up there. MRT, Box canyon, ATCA, Middle Fork dead mtn, and Larison for good measure. This has become my favorite part of the country. Oakridge is definitely changing and saw lots of CA plates. Planning on trying to move somewhere between Eugene and Oakridge. Preferably Oakridge but a little hesitant on squeaking out a living.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    8 wheels rode it out on Thursday. Mosquitos were horrendous. Wildflowers were some of the best I have ever seen. Some steep steep's and outstanding big forest trail. I especially like when the trail cuts back into the mountain and you can look back across and see your buddies riding up. The best/biggest one I've ever experienced was here. Just old growth on a steep hillside, clover with no underbrush and a brown ribbon of trail made for some great visuals. Mosquitos where horrendous.

We also rode a bunch up on the Timpanogas. Mosquitos were horrendous. Gorgeous country.

Got in Ollalie/O'Learly/Kings from the horse camp and camped up there. MRT, Box canyon, ATCA, Middle Fork dead mtn, and Larison for good measure. This has become my favorite part of the country. Oakridge is definitely changing and saw lots of CA plates. Planning on trying to move somewhere between Eugene and Oakridge. Preferably Oakridge but a little hesitant on squeaking out a living.
    Wow, you've been riding a lot lately! Big rides, too! Way to go.

Yeah, living between Eugene & Oakridge is nice. I live on a horse ranch between Goshen & Pleasant Hill. Feels like living in the country. Hardesty trailhead is 20 minutes away, the red covered bridge in Westfir about 35.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Singletrack Addict

Bountiful Harvest

The views are amazing all around.
    Don't forget to look down.
    Relive Bunchgrass-dscf3771.jpgRelive Bunchgrass-dscf3772.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yummy, are you going to back me up on our bug assessment?

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Yummy, are you going to back me up on our bug assessment?
    ^^^Agreed.

The worst part was when I stopped here to pick the strawberries.

mtbr member
    So.. two votes for "not bad at all", one vote for "horrendous", and one vote for "off the hook" with respect to bugs. Hm.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    So.. two votes for "not bad at all", one vote for "horrendous", and one vote for "off the hook" with respect to bugs. Hm.
    Hold on now. I rode Bunchgrass over two weeks ago. Since then it's been hot & dry. Evidently the bug situation can change quickly. Friends rode around Waldo on Sat. 7/29 and said the mosquitoes weren't bad at all. What? Mosquitoes not bad at Waldo Lake in July? No way! I didn't believe them at first. Thought they were pulling my leg. Nope.

Meanwhile one in their group had a cast on his hand and couldn't ride so he hiked up Twins. Said the bugs were awful up there. But also he encountered snow.

So evidently the bugs are bad where there's moisture and not bad wherever moisture isn't.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Rode waldo a week ago. It was awesome and I personally don't think the bugs were bad. One in my party always rides with no shirt too, and he had no spray on the entire way around. I was without spray up to the rocky view point and then applied a little so I could eat lunch in relative peace.

Don at sunnyside I think rode close to the same day and say buds were as bad as he's ever seen em.

Don't know what to make of all that.