mtbr member

Rat Pac - Cle Elum, Washington

Just thought I'd throw this out there for the Oregon folks that travel north.

Over the last couple years my wife and I have been spending a long weekend in the Cle Elum area with her family. I usually sneak away to get a ride or two in on Rat Pac.

I'm not sure what we have in Oregon that really compares, it's pretty much nontechnical, mostly buff but very, very tight and twisty with plenty of steep rollers. There are a few places with ladders with easy go-a-round options. It's not a super fast trail but very playfull which keeps you on your toes for most of the ride. I park at the bike shop on the west end of town and ride a combination of paved road, old double track and gravel roads to the top. I'm guessing the climb is 3-4 miles with a couple steep sections on the old double track. I'd venture to guess that the downhill is a little more with all the twists and turns. The trail finishes in a dirt jump area.

For $3 the bike shop has a map that will get you to the top. The down is fairly straight forward.

If you're passing through on I-90, Rat Pac is a super fun trail well worth stopping to check out. It also looks like there is plenty of riding in the area for a really long weekend too.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I will concur that there is some great riding in the Cle Elum area. We stumbled upon it a few years ago after riding up in the Leavenworth and Wenatchee areas. Miller Peak and Esmerelda had great climbs and descents along with incredible views. We were only there for a few days, but it looked like there was enough trails to ride for a week at least.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

mtbr member
    Miller Peak, Esmeralda, Teanaway and the Taneum trails do look amazing, but with family, Rat Pac is so damn convenient. Hopefully next year I'll be able to sneak away a bit longer and check these out.

It's not much of a thrill, but there is also the John Wayne Pioneer Trail over Snoqualmie Pass. Other than the scenery, the highlight is a 2.2 mile tunnel and trestles over 200' high.

And if the Kachess Trails are melted out, these look like a kick too.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.