mtbr member
    May 2004

Rainy day fixin Fall Creek

Dale and I rode our fixed gear mtn bikes along portions of the Fall Creek trail today.

Dale started riding fixed April 1st, this is his ninth off road fixed ride. He's pretty good for 66 years old. This is my 73rd off road fixed ride in about a year. I'm a youngster at 54, my fixie makes me feel younger and a lot stronger.

You can see we have a lot of braking control at the pedals, Dale keeps his hand away from his frt brake because he does all the braking through the cranks. He likes to see how little he can use his hand brake.

We prefere riding fixed all the time now, Dale has really improved his skills.

Dale is on a new Raleigh 29er XXIX, he runs two to one gearing, 32x18, we find we can easily push taller gears on our fixies.

My bike is an older Cannondale 1FG sans head shock. It's a 69er fixed with a 32x16 gear turning a 26in rear wheel. We both have EBB's and fixie/free quick realese rear surly hubs.

We were wondering who else in Oregon is doing the same thing, we think it's fun and not hard at all. I think more folks might try it if the see old dudes like us riding fixed. You don't have to be super human or the best bike handler to ride fixed.

Dale is never going back to a full time coastie bike. He is a lot better on a fixie than he was on his coastie. He can't stop talking about how fun it is to ride fixed off road.

We enjoy the beauty and challenge of river trails like Fall Creek. Fixed gears are especially well suited for river and lake edge trails. Not much maintanence or things to go wrong with simple bikes like ours.

Most coastie single speeders wont give fixed a serious try, we have done both and can say for certain fixed is funner and easier than people think. We love the the sensation and boast we get from the wheel turning our cranks for us. It makes running a taller gear easier. We feel we have a lot more control of our bikes too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004

Riding the sweet section of the burn area

There are some scary drop offs along the way, we enjoy the burn area. Good views, sunshine ops, and easier sections. We like to ride the top and bottom sections of trail when it's dryer.

After we finished the burn area, we drove up above Puma CG and rode down a few miles from the 1828 rd. Thats another sweet section we like to ride. Rarely do we ride the whole 13 miles. We like to ride the easy sections, in the summer we swim and pick berries.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lef-t; 05-03-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Making fat cool since '71
    Nice work. Now when you find a fixy with 6" of travel and gears let me know.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Have you tried fixed? You might like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Nice work. Now when you find a fixy with 6" of travel and gears let me know.

Brock...
    When I stand up that's low gear, when I sit down that's high gear. When I bend my arms and legs I have 20 inches of travel. Neat huh? I have two air shocks that I can overhaul in a few minutes. If I blow a seal I can fix it right on the trail. I like using squishy tires for shocks. We run very low preasure in our wheel shocks. I like 18 to 20 in my frt and 25-30 in back. Each shock internals only cost $4. 29ers have excellent control and traction.

I just want to ride my bike and not worry about pushing buttons or sqeezing levers. When I want to slow down I pedals slower. Riding fixed is very simple and easy. We are having a lot of fun. We think more folks would like it too if they learned how.

I really love my simple machine. Nothing breaks, nothing needs constant tweeking. It's cheap to ride, silent and efficient. No bike I have ever riden off road has been as fun for me as my fixie. My fixed friend agrees, he's nutty about being fixed. It's made him a better rider, he's pushing a taller gear and cleaning more techy stuff. Slimmy slick trails are more fun fixed, so are a lot of other things like techy climbs and switchbacks.

mtbr member

What's with the pads on the top bar?

Were you guys at the last ACM? I've been tempted to turn one of my bikes into a fixy, is there a cheap way to do it, I mean without buying a new hub? I hate to commit to buying a new hub only to find out I'm not into it.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

I've ridden fixed. I own a singlespeed. I made a joke. I like humor. I like bikes. I own lots of bikes. I like them all. I like singlespeeding. I like humor. I really like chocolate chip cookies. I like diversity. I like jumping. I like falling. I like getting back up. I like Coca-Cola. I like enjoying myself. I like watching other folks enjoy themselves. I like having a sense of humor.

Brock...

PS: You will notice fixxxie isn't in the list of things I like(d).
    PPS: Yes Jolly they were at ACM 2008.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Bolt on a tomi cog.

Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Were you guys at the last ACM? I've been tempted to turn one of my bikes into a fixy, is there a cheap way to do it, I mean without buying a new hub? I hate to commit to buying a new hub only to find out I'm not into it.
    If you already own a disc hub bolt on a cog on the disc side. A cleaver man could drill six holes in a cheap DX cog, the steal if hard on bits though.

We were at the ACM with our ridgerest pads. We like to sit on them, and they protect our stones. We practice sitting around on every ride. We aren't in a hurry.

I committed an older mtn bike to fixed and found out I rarely ride the rest of my fleet. I'm glad I've found someone to ride with that likes it too.

love my Simonds 519
    Mar 2007
    Now when you find a fixy with 6" of travel and gears let me know.
    2x2 on a Klein Mantra. What, you want 6" in front TOO?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Single speeds and fixies are totally different animals

I've ridden fixed. I own a singlespeed. I made a joke. I like humor. I like bikes. I own lots of bikes. I like them all. I like singlespeeding. I like humor. I really like chocolate chip cookies. I like diversity. I like jumping. I like falling. I like getting back up. I like Coca-Cola. I like enjoying myself. I like watching other folks enjoy themselves. I like having a sense of humor.

Brock...

PS: You will notice fixxxie isn't in the list of things I like(d).
    PPS: Yes Jolly they were at ACM 2008.
    Tell me about your off road fixed riding. I jumped once, I fell, I got rash, pain. I don't jump but I like watching others do it. I try hard not to fall, I don't like any kind of pain or discomfort. My first experience jumping was bad, I could have stuck with it but I just gave up.

Getting folks to warm up to fixed riding reminds me of how frustrating it was to explain single speeding to gearies.

Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    Tell me about your off road fixed riding. I jumped once, I fell, I got rash, pain. I don't jump but I like watching others do it. I try hard not to fall, I don't like any kind of pain or discomfort. My first experience jumping was bad, I could have stuck with it but I just gave up.

Getting folks to warm up to fixed riding reminds me of how frustrating it was to explain single speeding to gearies.
    Not much to tell. I've ridden Brice Creek and WhipeAss on a fixxxie (26 miles?). It didn't suit how I ride to enjoy myself. I firmly believe folks need to ride what/how allows them to enjoy themselves (understanding responsible use of public lands considered...). It's unimportant to me what kind of bike someone rides. It's inconsequential to me if they ride bikes like mine or not anything like mine. It's only important to me that they enjoy themselves.

I like riding with folks that enjoy the experience. If it's possible for you to enjoy fixed more than gears and other bits of technology can it not be possible that others like the gears (or whatever) more? If there were one answer to every question...boring. Whatever though. Recall my first statement in my first reply: Nice job. I like the spirit of folks riding fixed. I've done it, didn't care for it. Kind of like bell peppers. I don't like them so I don't eat them but I don't try to convince others they shouldn't eat them.

Brock...

PS: don't eat bell peppers.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Wow, you have tried it.

Not much to tell. I've ridden Brice Creek and WhipeAss on a fixxxie (26 miles?). It didn't suit how I ride to enjoy myself. I firmly believe folks need to ride what/how allows them to enjoy themselves (understanding responsible use of public lands considered...). It's unimportant to me what kind of bike someone rides. It's inconsequential to me if they ride bikes like mine or not anything like mine. It's only important to me that they enjoy themselves.

I like riding with folks that enjoy the experience. If it's possible for you to enjoy fixed more than gears and other bits of technology can it not be possible that others like the gears (or whatever) more? If there were one answer to every question...boring. Whatever though. Recall my first statement in my first reply: Nice job. I like the spirit of folks riding fixed. I've done it, didn't care for it. Kind of like bell peppers. I don't like them so I don't eat them but I don't try to convince others they shouldn't eat them.

Brock...

PS: don't eat bell peppers.
    You are one of the few who have really riden off road fixed. Thanks for playing. Good point about not caring what others ride. At least you tried it.

I notice a lot of fixed riders in Eugene, it's getting very common on the road. I feel unique, a pioneer in a new sport. Most folks follow trends. I don't think fixies will take over off road like single speeders.

I don't like lima beans, I don't try to get people to hate them.

Maybe my next post will just be here's me and Dale riding our bicycles on a trail.

We are heading to a near by lake to ride our bicycles and get jolley. I'm gonna burn some scotch broom in my hobo stove. I'm gonna eat a can of soup and wait for an eagle to fly by. I'll try to be more generic and vage about our experience.

Public lands and all lands have gone down the drain. The Indians that used to live here would be pissed we screwed things up so bad. Where's all the salmon this year? Our greedy culture has ruined the planet. We can do little now to save what's left.

I rather enjoy(ed) your ride reports and photos. Keep 'em coming! The rest? It's all what gets a person out and enjoying the best state in the union.

Enjoy your ride at the lake. Come on out and ride with us DOD crazies more often. We may be ugly, but we know how to enjoy ourselves, I think.

Brock...

PS: I kinda like lima beans.
    PPS: I know, I'm a contrarian.
    PPPS: every third college student that buys a bike at the shop gets a fixxxie it seems like these days. You called it...fad...I hope.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Sorry to be so anoying about fixxed

[QUOTE=ImaKlyde]I rather enjoy(ed) your ride reports and photos. Keep 'em coming! The rest? It's all what gets a person out and enjoying the best state in the union.

Enjoy your ride at the lake. Come on out and ride with us DOD crazies more often. We may be ugly, but we know how to enjoy ourselves, I think.

Brock...

PS: I kinda like lima beans.
    PPS: I know, I'm a contrarian.
    PPPS: every third college student that buys a bike at the shop gets a fixxxie it seems like these days. You called it...fad...I hope.[/QUOTE

I know I'm always welcome with the DOD crazies. I love you all. Thanks for all the trail work too. We are fellow cyclists and you and I share the same profession.

Dale and I are looking forward to the next ACM, meanwhile we are always on the trail every tue and thur, my days off.

We enjoyed the lake very much today, I got to cook soup with the help of scotch broom. Saw a hawk, a duck and a buzzard. Got a little pink in the sun.

I had mixed vegatables tonight with all the lima beans picked out....

Peace, Tom

Members who have read this thread: 0