mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Are rain/waterproof worth it?

I figure they are worth it for commuting but what about on recreational rides?

I was looking the endura overtrousers, anyone have experience with these pants?

I like riding in the mud

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Still have not found the best set up for commuting but this is what I have found so far.

Decide if you want to be wet and warm with a jacket or with out. My commute is about 10 miles. I will sweat. GoreTex or what ever I tend to sweat out. So I plan on getting wet no matter what. Just depends on the outside temp if I wear a jacket or not. Got a new super thin shell to cut the wind I am going to try out with just a thin long sleeve for a little insulation. Yes I will get wet but figure everything will dry out faster.

Singletrack Addict
    Layers + wool. WIth our mild temps, as letsgo alluded, waterproof clothing will not breath *fast enough* to keep up with perspiration and you will become wet from within, especially if you are working for it. If the weather calls for rain (more so if commuting--I tend not to chase a mtb ride if the forecast calls for rain), I plan on getting wet.

Right now, in the shoulder season, we might get wet, but not too cold: no problem. Later in the season, when it is wet and cold, I try to avoid getting saturated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I like to use a softshell vest over some type of long sleeve 1/2 zip with a wool base layer underneath. This is pretty versatile and you can zip or unzip depending upon conditions/effort. I commute in this sort of get-up all throughout this lovely fall/winter/spring wet season.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Mountain Hardwear has a line of products with their new DryQ tech that people claim is more waterproof and breathable than Gore-Tex.

Mountain Hardwear | Innovation - Dry.Q

meatier showers
    Off-road in the rain I'll wear a "waterproof" jacket but don't bother with waterproof pants unless it's extremely cold AND extremely wet. I live in the Willamette Valley so it's rarely both (usually just extremely wet). Instead of waterproof pants, I wear tights & baggy shorts. The tights allow me to peel the mud off at ride's end. Being wet below the waist doesn't bother me as much as being wet above the waist. I do invest in good winter riding boots, tho.

FWIW I've ridden off-road year 'round since '85.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Making fat cool since '71
    I focus on being warm first...dry second, because MTB'ing you're NOT going to stay dry if it's raining, regardless of manufacturer claims of breathability. Snake and sParty nailed it between themselves (not the first time that's been said...but I digress): wool, layering, rain shell top, tights on bottom. I tried riding in Craft and Mt. Hardwear rain pants and it was maddening (commuting was fine actually) due to the amount of snag factor of the pants as you move for/aft on the seat, high wear/tear, etc.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Metalheadbikerider

Showers Pass is great.

As others have mentioned, waterproof means not very breathable. I bought their Pro jacket and it has huge pit sleeves, which helps tremendously. I use it for road riding and mtb'ing in the nastiest of Winter weather. I also bought the matching bib pants and like them too. You will sweat in them (I wear barely anything underneath), but it is much easier to just step out of external clothing that is caked in mud at the end of the ride. That and I prefer warmth over all else.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good to know. So i think it would still be wise to get these pants for commuting at least. And just do what I did last year, which is what most of you did. A wool layer might be in order though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I rock these here in the gorge all winter Superlite Waterproof Shorts and I love them. These with a tall pair of smart wools and my lower body is comfy.

mtbr member
    I have a ton of winter gear. I wear the waterproof pants the least out of all of it. They are next to useless IMO.

A light vest is a great suggestion.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
    I rock these here in the gorge all winter Superlite Waterproof Shorts and I love them. These with a tall pair of smart wools and my lower body is comfy.
    Those look great. I would like to try a pair. Did you get them locally?
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I think I got those at discover bikes here in Hood River

I'm a big fan of Endura gear, it's comfy and seems to hold up better than the "trendy and flashy" stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bought a endura mt500 jacket last season. Great
    Product but will get wet with sweat if temp is above
    50. I have found layering and wool is key to make the
    Valley winters enjoyable.

Finding the right combo is mostly trial n error

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Rain pants are useless here...too hot.I do sport the thermal bib shorts when the temps drop though.I like the Event fabric as long as I am moving.Wool baby!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    I've found it's almost impossible to stay dry. One key to staying warm is to keep air from moving across your skin, so I wear a wind-breaker of some kind and layer under it for warmth. I still get wet but not usually cold. A wind breaker with pit zips allows for regulating air flow. As others have said I wear tights mainly to reduce clean up post ride.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly