mtbr member
    May 2008

Race Categories for Oregon MTB races???

I am going to do a couple of the races (for fun) this summer. I am planning on doing the Cream Puff and the High Cascades 100. On the site, I found that there are different levels or categories (expert, 1, 2, beginner, etc.) that people are grouped into. I could not find any information on the site about what those levels are?

I'm not sure where to look for this information, but was curious. Anybody know?

Any experience with the races??? (The weather is so cold all I can do is look for answers to questions like this.)

Thanks.

jim

Metalheadbikerider

Categories

Cat 3 = Beginner
    Cat 2 = Sport
    I'm assuming you aren't higher than that. Whether you do Cat 3 or Cat 2 is your judgment call.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Known Mountainbiker
    -Roadies that kick ass on the fireroad climbs and have mediocre mtb skills but enough to win.
    -Fast mtbers that drink sh!tty recovery beers.
    -Stoners that show up to an event to "ride" and have fun but not race.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

Obviously Single

What kind of racing?

Quote Originally Posted by twelve34
    I am going to do a couple of the races (for fun) this summer. I am planning on doing the Cream Puff and the High Cascades 100. On the site, I found that there are different levels or categories (expert, 1, 2, beginner, etc.) that people are grouped into. I could not find any information on the site about what those levels are?

I'm not sure where to look for this information, but was curious. Anybody know?

Any experience with the races??? (The weather is so cold all I can do is look for answers to questions like this.)

Thanks.

jim
    It depends on what kind of racing you want to do. If you're into CX, then PDX is the place to be. But if you're into Cross Country, you might have to move south. There are maybe 2 or 3 CC races here in the spring, then the series moves farther south. Not sure why that is, but I was very surprised when I moved back here that there was no local CC race series.

I like Horning's Hustle and the Mud Slinger, but both are (not surprisingly) very muddy races.

Also, if you decide to race a Single Speed be warned that they do not seem to have multiple SS classes here, so if you race SS you race with the experts. ;-)

Check out OBRA's web site for lots more details ...
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    It depends on what kind of racing you want to do. If you're into CX, then PDX is the place to be. But if you're into Cross Country, you might have to move south. There are maybe 2 or 3 CC races here in the spring, then the series moves farther south. Not sure why that is, but I was very surprised when I moved back here that there was no local CC race series.

I like Horning's Hustle and the Mud Slinger, but both are (not surprisingly) very muddy races.

Also, if you decide to race a Single Speed be warned that they do not seem to have multiple SS classes here, so if you race SS you race with the experts. ;-)

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but almost every race, crosscountry and cyclocross, has a SS catagory.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Not sure where you're getting your info from, but almost every race, crosscountry and cyclocross, has a SS catagory.
    I think what he means is the singlespeed category is often just that: the singlespeed category. There is typically no beginner SS, sport SS, expert SS. You could be a beginner in the SS class but you are racing against experts as well.

Metalheadbikerider

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan

His second sentence tells you what kind of racing he wants to do. The categories are the same for all mtb disciplines. There used to be more racing near PDX, but low turnouts ended those races. And you forgot to mention the best race near PDX-Bear Springs Trap. If you enjoy Hornung's and Slinger, you will love Bear Spring's Trap.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flow_vs_speed
    I think what he means is the singlespeed category is often just that: the singlespeed category. There is typically no beginner SS, sport SS, expert SS. You could be a beginner in the SS class but you are racing against experts as well.
    Yep, reread the post and I'm a dumb a$$.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Obviously Single

Dude, I've read your posts ...

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    Yep, reread the post and I'm a dumb a$$.
    I have read many of your posts, and you are *not* a dumb-a$$.
    The Lee-Man

Tree Hugger
    CreamPuff typically has age categories and single speed. No expert vs beginner.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Obviously Single

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    CreamPuff typically has age categories and single speed. No expert vs beginner.
    I don't think you need an SS beginner category for the Puff! If any SS beginner signs up you can just smash their knees and call them done.
    The Lee-Man

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    -Roadies that kick ass on the fireroad climbs and have mediocre mtb skills but enough to win.
    -Fast mtbers that drink sh!tty recovery beers.
    -Stoners that show up to an event to "ride" and have fun but not race.

Caz
    You forgot:

-World class MTB racers. (Craig, Decker, Trebon)

I got nothin'
    I might wrong here, my wife usually says so, but can't you ride a SS in any category? I thought I looked that up once and there was no restriction on the bike that you ride. Or am I getting that mixed up with CX racing.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

Metalheadbikerider

That's true

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    I might wrong here, my wife usually says so, but can't you ride a SS in any category? I thought I looked that up once and there was no restriction on the bike that you ride. Or am I getting that mixed up with CX racing.
    You can ride a SS in any category, or the SS specific category. A few years back I remember Adam Craig killing it in the Pro class at the 'slinger on a SS. I can't imagine doing that stairstep climb a 2nd time on a SS!

Obviously Single

"Can" ...

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek
    Just because you can doesn't mean it's sane.

I already finish in the back of any group I ride in on my SS.

I was just comparing OR MTB racing to CO MTB racing. In CO MTB racing there is no beginner vs. advanced SS group, but there is a regular and a pro group. And the regular group usually does about the same distance/time as the Sport class (Cat 2 here?).

The few races I've done since I moved back here have all been on the SS, since that's what I normally ride. And it's a good hard race when I get to race with the pros, which usually translates into one or more extra laps, depending on the course. I _wish_ I was in that kind of shape, but the races remind me I'm not.
    The Lee-Man

Leave it all on the trail
    Twelve 34, I highly recommend doing all the races down in Ashland Oregon. I don't race that much, but I try to make it to all the races they host down south. The double header weekend "Spring Thaw" is rad. Saturday is the XC race and Sunday is the downhill race which is not a true downhill race, but a fun gravity fed race that most people run 6" bikes on and like to pedal a little bit. Lastly, the Super D down Mt Ashland is an absolute blast and last year they did a chainless race the day before so there is plenty to do down there. Good food, good people, good trail, and grass roots racing! Look up Mt Ashland Adventures to get you to the top for practice with a rockin shuttle service.
    Ride. Dig. Party.

MattSavage
    I'm looking forward to the Echo Red to Red race... I've never ridden out there. Anyone done it? ...Fun race?
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    I'm looking forward to the Echo Red to Red race... I've never ridden out there. Anyone done it? ...Fun race?
    Yup, it's a blast. Swoopy and bumpy and up and downy, loads of painful fun on a singlespeed. It's my favorite race on the OBRA calendar.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Mudslinger and classes

Hey

You can race Singlespeed in any category, including Singlespeed. I do think with the right gear a SS will do very well in the Mudslinger. The Stairstep climb is back for 2010 for Pro/Cat 1 and Cat2 and Singlespeed. Cat 3's will do the 12 miles and 1500 ft and call it a day. Clydesdales over 210+ are back as a category as well.

Maybe I can convince the Pros to go at it again on a SS. I do think Decker did that last year also and dominated.....but thats Decker

Have fun