Afric Pepperbird

R.I.P Bend Bike n Sport

Wow, I just saw this pop up on my RSS feeds (I check Craigslist bike feeds)...

Bend Bike n Sport closing for good.

I never actually bought from them, but they had excellent quality products. And their wrenches were very skilled and knowledgeable.

The Bend community will miss them.

ronbo613
    Never been a tougher time for small businesses in America. Sad to see.

Gittyup!
    Sad indeed. I helped the original owners move into that place and even pitched in turning wrenches from time to time in the early days. Beverly and Allen (owners) are salt of the earth folks.

I was in today picking up a few things. They still have some decent stuff in there going for smokin' deals, so if you need something, swing on by. Every little bit helps, and you'll get a great deal. They have a Felt 29'r w/ an XT build (not sure if it's medium or large) either at or below cost. Would make someone a nice ride.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer

I never actually bought from them, but they had excellent quality products. And their wrenches were very skilled and knowledgeable.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

"...Last three years..."? Was the shop sold about then? It has been around much longer IIRC.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Gittyup!
    3 years ago is when ownership changed. I believe the original opening was May of '06. Before that it was 'On the Way' bike/ski shop.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    "...Last three years..."? Was the shop sold about then? It has been around much longer IIRC.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Supply and demand

Probably too many bike shops in Bend along with a crappy local economy ate them up.

banned
    Feb 2010

well maybe you should have bought from them! sounds like no one did...but then again Bend/Redmond/Sunriver is so over saturated with bike and ski shops, should be some more going down soon.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitist-Scum
    well maybe you should have bought from them! sounds like no one did...but then again Bend/Redmond/Sunriver is so over saturated with bike and ski shops, should be some more going down soon.
    I almost pulled the trigger on a Yeti 575 here... but that just seemed too much bike for Bend. They mainly had an awesome road biking selection, however. Wow, did they have some spendy roadies!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just went down there and picked up a couple odds and ends. They have some clothing and accessories. Some tires, tools, lots of seatposts, some shifters and drivetrain components (may be all roadie stuff, not sure) brake pads, tubes, etc.

Talked to the owner briefly, he said he may be operating again in some capacity out of another location after things are all wrapped up with his current place.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Did you guys know that another shop just opened a couple of months ago? It's in a weird location though, behind Wendy's on 3rd St.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No kidding? They must really be something special or different to open up right now in this town. Do they sell new bikes or just parts/service?

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600
    No kidding? They must really be something special or different to open up right now in this town. Do they sell new bikes or just parts/service?
    The owner said their plan was to fill the urban commuter niche, but they also carry the Bionicon line. I haven't stopped in there yet.

Gittyup!
    Yup... Bend Velo: http://www.bendvelo.com/

Should have been there for the opening Nat! Keg of beer and Velo Sprints - 2 stationary track bikes on rollers hooked up to a computer/big screen that tracks sprint progress in real time for all to see. It's an all out 1 on 1 15 second sprint to determine a winner till there's only one left. I was skeptical, but it was damn fun, especially w/ a rowdy crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Did you guys know that another shop just opened a couple of months ago? It's in a weird location though, behind Wendy's on 3rd St.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by SLinBend
    Yup... Bend Velo: http://www.bendvelo.com/

Should have been there for the opening Nat! Keg of beer and Velo Sprints - 2 stationary track bikes on rollers hooked up to a computer/big screen that tracks sprint progress in real time for all to see. It's an all out 1 on 1 15 second sprint to determine a winner till there's only one left. I was skeptical, but it was damn fun, especially w/ a rowdy crowd.
    I'm sorry I missed it! Sounds like it was fun.

Afric Pepperbird
    Wow, I was under the impression this new bike shop was the, ahem, bike shop in the Gear Peddler.

I'll have to check this place out!