mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Quick work trip to Portland

So I have a quick work trip to Portland (Fly in Monday evening, out wed morn). I think my day Tuesday will be pretty full. Are there any better options for getting some pedaling in (Mon/Tues eve) than the exercise bike in the hotel gym?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Have you checked the weather report? I'd take a rain check on this week. Riding in snow is one thing but freezing rain is another thing all together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I have to go out on the 23rd, work the 24, and fly home the 25th..
    The work stuff is time sensitive. I was just informed I was going today...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Where are you staying? The Mountain Shop does MTB rentals, from there you can go to Forest Park and hit some singletrack or gravel/dirt roads.

mtbr member
    With your schedule, I would skip trying to ride outdoors. It's going to be wet/cold/muddy and there isn't a lot of daylight to work with. That means you'd be trying to find and navigate Portland's few trail options at night,if your work schedule is busy during the day. Assuming you are wanting to rent a bike as well, your schedule doesn't leave much time to pick up and drop off a bike. Add to that cleaning the bike after a muddy ride, and trying to get it into out of a rental car. And there aren't any "must do" rides in Portland.

More hassle than it is worth.

I would however, suggest going to the Lumberyard.

Home - Lumberyard Indoor Bike Park

Not a huge place, but infinitely better than sitting on a hotel exercise bike. Will set you back $20 + another $16 for a rental bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I saw that on-line. I have been to Rays indoor mtb park in Milwaukee several times (work trips) and enjoyed it, but the Lumberyard looked MUCH smaller. I'm staying next to the airport, so the Lumberyard looks to be only a few minutes away. I'll check it out. My schedule has now changed, so I'll be getting into town earlier than I initially expected (mid day). I have a meet & greet that afternoon, but should have a few hours free. I'll likely be pretty spent though as I'm catching a 5am flight on the east coast to get there. Thanks for the recommendation.