mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! PUMP Forest Park Trail Party - Feb 9, 2008! We Need YOU!

[size=10]Time for another FP Trail Party![/size]
    [SIZE="2"](and awesome opportunity for PUMP members to rack up more Swag Points for '08!)[/SIZE]
    [size=10]This Saturday, Feb 9th -- 9:00am - 1:00pm[/size]
    Please note change of meeting location!!

[size=1]FL5 Trail Party - Nov '07[/size]

As PUMP's Forest Park Co-Representative, I am pleased to announce the scheduling of our second trail (work) party on Firelane 5. The first one was an amazing success! We would like to thank the folks from Fat Tire Farm, Mtbr, Revolver Bikes, OR Bike, OBRA, Bike Portland.org and the many PUMP members who came out. A huge “Thanks” to Friends of Forest Park who provided us with the trail building expertise and equipment with Jeff Hough. Additionally, thank you Grand Central Bakery for providing all the wonderful breakfast pastries for the crew. Amazing!

We had around 50 – count them: Five-Oh – dedicated bikers show up from all of these groups to do a smashing job improving the trail and adding such features as a serpentine and culvert. We rode FL5 a couple of days ago and I was amazed at how well the areas we’d worked on held up to the loads of rain and riding – Great job!

The turnout and energy of the November work party went along way in demonstrating our desire to be stewards of singletrack in The Park. One of the main concerns revolving around the establishment of more singletrack has been the questioning of whether or not our mtb and cyclocross community would get involved in maintenance and stewardship of new singletrack in this way - and keep coming back. With the November trail party, we showed that we will show up in a big way. Now we need to keep showing up and participating to demonstrate we are committed to sustained stewardship. Everyone who came out in November got us off to an incredible start! Please continue to attend the work parties in Forest Park and draft your biking friends. You will find that it is a flat blast to work shoulder to shoulder with other bikers on trails you ride.

Warning: Advocacy can be addictive!

So come on out and get addicted with us! If we have a good enough turn-out, we will divide and give some attention to FL3 as well. Please RSVP so we can plan the additional work and have enough equipment (and pastries) on hand for everyone!

[size=4]Event: FL5/FL3 Trail Party[/size]

[size=4]Date: Saturday, February 9th, 2008[/size]

[size=4]Time: 9:00 am - 1:00 PM[/size]

[size=4]Directions:[/size]
    The meeting point will be at the top of FL5 at the Saltzman Gate off Syline. Please look at map below!
    [SIZE="3"]Drivers: [/SIZE]From Skyline Blvd, take Saltzman Rd (gravel road) to the gate at the end of the road.
    Coming from NW Thompson: NW of Thompson shortly after the Lightning Ridge Dr. Make a Right onto Saltzman.
    Coming from NW Springville/Germantown: SW of Springville. Make a Left onto Saltzman
    [SIZE="3"]Bike riders: [/SIZE]If you are riding your bike just ride to the top of Fire Lane 5 or Saltzman.

New Driver Map! http://tinyurl.com/3cncfa
    Bike Map: http://tinyurl.com/2yvf7r

[size=4]Bring:[/size]
    Work Gloves, Wet Weather Gear, and Water. Please let me know if you are coming so we can ensure there are enough tools (and pastries) for everyone.

Additional Info/Confirmation:
    Shanti Ware
    mtb_grrl@ msn.com
    PUMP
    Last edited by Mtb_Grrl; 02-08-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: ** CHANGE OF MEETING LOCATION **

meatier showers
    This is good.

Gonna see if I can make it up north to join y'all. I want to head up thataway for the North American Handmade Bicycle Show on Sunday Feb. 10 anyway. So if I find a place to crash, I'll arrive a day early and help all y'all PUMPsters do some trailwork on Saturday. Traiilwork is like, in my blood.

My brother & his wife live in P-town so I can prolly crash at their place on Saturday night.

Will confirm soon. I love pasties.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Thanks, Sparty!
    (love your tag line - wow)

~ Shanti

Metalheadbikerider

Dang!

I'm gonna be out of town, but will do my damndest to get others there in my place...
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

the Dude memorial aviator
    On my calendar! I'll take Sparty's pastry if he doesn't make it.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sound good. I'll be there.

Jordan

The Dude Abides
    I should be there, and possibly my wife!
    This aggression will not stand, man.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Mtb'er SOS For FL5 Trail Party!

Hola, Bikers!

Between Mtbr, PUMP, OBRA, etc., I only have 12 (!) RSVPs for this Saturday's Forest Park Trail Party. We had a whopping 50 in November. Let's keep the momentum going.

Everyone has been complaining about our .5 mile of actual singletrack in FP for years. PUMP is dedicated to being part of the planning process and being a part of getting things in motion. This is no small task. We can put all the balls in motion, but we need each and every rider who wants this to make a concerted effort to come out and show that we will maintain new trail if its built. Maintenance of FP is a major issue as it stands. I can say this definitively:

- All eyes are on what we bikers are doing at this moment in regard to Forest Park.

- We have an opportunity to show that we will show up in numbers with consistency to maintain what is built.

- If we do not show this with what we have, The City has no incentive (or ability) to build more trail and place a further strain on already strained resources.

- We need you!

I was in a FP Planning Meeting this morning at 7:00 am with IMBA Trail Builders Jill and Chris. At every meeting, the issue of sustainability and maintenance is a point of discussion. Come on bikers - Join us in action!

We had planned on doing maintenance to FL5 and doing some construction on FL1. If we only have 12 of us show up, this will not happen.

Please read the main thread and let me know if you are able to make it - draft your other biking buddies and please repost if you don't see it elsewhere.

Thank you all!

Shanti Ware
    PUMP

mtbr member
    Don't take this the wrong way but it is winter and I bet as spring and summer get closer you will get better turn outs. I know I'll be up at the mountain this weekend.

mtbr member
    I encourage people to do what they need to do. When the summer comes, we'll all be out riding. There's always something. If singletrack in FP is important to people, they'll show up and participate. It's like voting ...

mtbr member
    ...but voting isn't seasonal, sking and mt biking are to a lot of people. Myself included.

Metalheadbikerider

The BIG problem....

Quote Originally Posted by Mtb_Grrl
    I encourage people to do what they need to do. When the summer comes, we'll all be out riding. There's always something. If singletrack in FP is important to people, they'll show up and participate. It's like voting ...
    is that this weekend is the NAHBS....and that is going to draw most of the local riders, unfortunately. Maybe that can be used as a footnote on the roll sheet for this weekend's event? I posted it on OBRA. I'd be there if I wasn't headed out of town.
    The other frustration that people have, from what I gather, is that they don't believe that ST will ever exist in FP. If FOP/city threw us a bone (something longer than a 1/4 mile stretch of ST), I would bet that mtb'ers would be out in higher numbers to take care of it. Just my two cents, but I will be there to hopefully help to see that that takes place. Others will follow.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by free-agent
    is that this weekend is the NAHBS....and that is going to draw most of the local riders, unfortunately. Maybe that can be used as a footnote on the roll sheet for this weekend's event? I posted it on OBRA. I'd be there if I wasn't headed out of town.
    The other frustration that people have, from what I gather, is that they don't believe that ST will ever exist in FP. If FOP/city threw us a bone (something longer than a 1/4 mile stretch of ST), I would bet that mtb'ers would be out in higher numbers to take care of it. Just my two cents, but I will be there to hopefully help to see that that takes place. Others will follow.
    Heya. Thanks for reposting it to OBRA. The race will effect our turn-out for this one. You're awesome.

Brian - you've been out to trail parties before and been fab in reposting, so the below comment is not directed at you, but I feel I need to reiderate the points below

RE: FoFP/City
    I hate to say it, but if we are all focused on holding on to the past, the future will never happen. Yes, we currently only have .5 miles of singletrack. As I have expressed several times, we are working hard to change that. The "We" I refer to is FoFP, PUMP, and members of the bike industry (i.e., Mark from Revolver Bikes). Things are changing and we are partnering for the greater good of our park and our community. Please join us in that.

We have created a user group panel which is headed by FoFP to create a white paper with sustainable trail solutions and reduce user conflicts (to include poaching) in the park. These things are not healthy or enjoyable for anyone. The main focus of this group is creating IMBA endorsed singletrack in FP. IMBA is now an (consulting) active part of our planning team.

As I have said before: A primary concern is adding even more trail to a system that does not have enough maintenance funding to sustain the trail that already exists. This is why those who complain about the omnipitus "they" not creating singletrack must come out and help us maintain. Our biking community must show that we will maintain what we have, participate in the building of new trail (voluneer work cuts the cost of trail building by 2/3) to show that we can and will show up in a consistent fashion to build and maintain future trail. This is not a case of "build it and they will come." We have to show up first.

The FP trail parties enable able me to give tangable numbers of people who can and do show up. I am asked how many riders will do that on a regular basis ... "I think" riders will build/maintain doesn't hold much water when looking at this kind of money, effort, and commitment.

"They" will not spend millions of dollars (yes - millions with an "M") if we are not willing to give up a couple of weekends to help maintain and build. Every member of our user board board is giving up hours of our mornings, days, and weekends to help plan, organize, fund raise, and participate in trail parties because we care about the FP singletrack issue. This singletrack that we all want is up to us to make happen. That is through actions and not belly achin'.

This is not a case of getting involved after it's built. If you are not involved NOW, it won't happen. If you are not putting your hands on a shovel, don't complain that nothing is happening.

Sorry for taking out the old ruler, guys, but ... damn.

[SIZE="4"]Speak - Respect - Build - Ride[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Meeting Location Change for Saturday!

Sorry dudes and dudettes. Slight change as some road has been deemed unsafe at our original meeting location.

9:00 AM meeting time for FP Saturday:

[size=4]Directions:[/size]
    The meeting point will be at the top of FL5 at the Saltzman Gate off Syline. Please look at map below!

[SIZE="3"]Drivers: [/SIZE]From Skyline Blvd, take Saltzman Rd (gravel road) to the gate at the end of the road.
    Coming from NW Thompson: NW of Thompson shortly after the Lightning Ridge Dr. Make a Right onto Saltzman.
    Coming from NW Springville/Germantown: SW of Springville. Make a Left onto Saltzman

[SIZE="3"]Bike riders: [/SIZE]If you are riding your bike just ride to the top of Fire Lane 5 or Saltzman.

New Driver Map! http://tinyurl.com/3cncfa
    Bike Map: http://tinyurl.com/2yvf7r

Metalheadbikerider

You're right....

there's always more than meets the eye when it comes to this cr@p! Bureaucracy...
    I plan on living in PDX for a long time so it makes for me to be involved, as we all should if we can. See ya at the next party, and thanks for all of your effort grrrl...you rock.

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtb_Grrl

If singletrack in FP is important to people, they'll show up and participate. It's like voting ...
    Uh, or not. The hectoring is getting a bit old. I suspect that I'm not the only member of the local community who is a bit annoyed by PUMP's self-righteousness and nonplussed by the notion of a Quixotic quest to, in your own words:

"build more trail and place a further strain on already strained resources"

I think it's great that you have a vision, and that you're willing to invest your time in it, but the point at which you start calling people out for not sharing that vision is the point at which effective advocacy goes out the window. Just for the record, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will be the Prime Minister of Israel before new tread is laid down in Forest Park. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because we're taliking about an expensive, high-impact solution to a nonexistent problem. There is already enough trail in the park to easily accommodate the needs of everyone. The $20K spent on the Disneyfication of .5 mile of FL 5 was absurd. If your orgainization wants to be the voice of mountain bikers in Portland, I think that you'd do well to ask yourself why a community with a pretty decent work ethic and a history of activism isn't buying what PUMP is selling and consider adjusting the goals and message accordingly. Or continue to shake your ruler in people's faces. Your choice.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member

(deleted)

(deleted)
    Last edited by Mtb_Grrl; 02-06-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: delete

mtbr member

Whoa, Dude

Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    Uh, or not. The hectoring is getting a bit old. I suspect that I'm not the only member of the local community who is a bit annoyed by PUMP's self-righteousness and nonplussed by the notion of a Quixotic quest to, in your own words:

"build more trail and place a further strain on already strained resources"
    Whoa, dude.

Only callin' people out if they are complaining about it and not showing up. If you are not interested in having more singletrack in FP and are not complaining about it, then I really wouldn't worry about it. Peace be with you and all that - really.

In terms of "it will never happen," I say, "Yes, we can." Sometimes things try to happen before their time and they fail. Sometimes things happen when the moment to strike has past and they fail. In very special times, all the "needs," resources and energy align, the opportunity happens, and great things happen. That time is now and I am seeing it happen. I am trying to make this process as transparent as possible so people with pent-up frustration can be a positive part of what's needed to happen for so long. I would hope our mtb community members would want to be a part of that.

Self-rightous? I think not. Just tired of having fingers pointed saying we're not doing anything when we are.

I am not into having a personal debate with you. I am into helping to make a really great thing happen with our community.

Be well.

mtbr member

Good job! Thanks, Everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone who came out from PUMP, OBRA, Mtbr, Fat Tire Farm, and our beloved bike industry.

We had an amazing trail day with 35+ mountain bikers all coming together on the trail. Wow

I will be posting a report (with pics) in the next couple of days to Mtbr and the PUMP website. I just wanted to express thanks on behalf of PUMP, Friends of Forest Park, and our mtb community to everyone who gave up their Saturday morning to participate. Your time and dedication speaks volumes to decision makes.

As I shared with those who came, IMBA estimates each mile of singletrack costs between $17-25k to build when you factor in required environmental studies, impact studies, build contractors, permitting, and man/woman hours. Volunteer hours cut this figure by Two-Thirds! To cut the trail costs by that much, we need to show a consistent mountain bike workforce. Just saying "we'll show up" isn't enough when you're committing that kind of money.

As far as my estimates figure, we had about 2/3 second timers/returning crew members from November's build day. 1/3 new folks! That's awesome!!

We hope to see you all out at the next build day on Saturday, May 3rd (details on ride calendar at www.pumpclub.org).

Thanks!

Shanti Ware
    Forest Park Co-Liaison
    PUMP
    Portland, Oregon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Great work party...! I wish I coulda been there...

Many years ago I spoke at a city council meeting(including Vera Katz) about singletrack and mtn biking in FP...We also had many meetings with FOFP... Shortly there after I was on the first trail building of FL-5...I think I was the first rider too....I was a very active PUMP member for many years...

If you want singletrack you have to get involved...

FL-3 was an illegal dump site at the top before it got developed...We almost lost access to it...
    I've been riding in FP for about 20years now....

I recall as kid seeing cars/4x4's and motorcycles in FP....It's come along way..since then..

mtbr member
    Thank you. Both for your comment and for the work you've done in Forest Park already. I believe we are being able to move forward with this project because mountain bikers haven't "gone away." People like you, Roger Louton, other PUMPsters, and other folks have been knocking on doors and attending meetings for years. The other members on the FP user groups board and I are just picking up the ball.

Thanks for pointing out just how far we've come in FP! Wow. I did not realize how involved and expensive trail building and maintenance were until I became involved myself. There are a miriad of invisible issues connected to singletrack in Forest Park. Some issues need fine tuning (hence the white paper); some issues are there for good reasons. A lot of education (for all users), outreach, and pulling together are neccessary for us to do great things together. It's pretty exciting that our time is now!

You're the bomb!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I rode FL-5 yesterday...awesome ...you guys did a fantastic job...kudos to you...!