mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Powell Butte(PB) and Forest PArk(FP) Tire Recommendations.

I need to get some new tires for off-raod as the tires I got with my used MTB are not suitable for riding PB and FP, even at lower psi I still get slippage, specially the front tire. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on 2 tires, but I do want something good. Lets say I don't want to spend more than $40 a tire.

I've been looking at the CST Heathen in a 26" x 2.25", Panaracer Fire XC Pro in a 26" x 2.2"a the Continental Trail King in a 26x2.2. What would be your recommendations?
    Last edited by pdxmark; 09-03-2013 at 10:06 PM.
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The panaracer is a pretty good all around tire. I'm using the heathen in back right now and i really like it, especially the price. Ive run it for the last 3 months in mostly dry conditions. I will switch to a highroller once the rain starts in earnest. I have used panaracers off and on for 5 years and although I generally want a burlier tire these days, if FP & PB are where you ride, they should be great. I would use the panaracers in back, but if the trail kings have beefier side knobs, use one of those in front.
    2009 Specialized Stumpy Expert. Bike with brains.
    1997 Homegrown Factory 23-24lbs & afraid to ride it. I'm 200.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fastboy143 View Post
    I would use the panaracers in back, but if the trail kings have beefier side knobs, use one of those in front.
    Interesting, I was thinking along this line. I kind of have an idea from motoX, were the front wheel is directional knobs @ 2.1" and the back is a wider non-directional, @ 2.2"/2.3". Only because I have this idea in my head the wider tires react slower as front wheels, but I'm not so sure, because I've not been riding for over a year and while I was looking for a bike I was not paying attention to innovation and ride concepts. I was going to try this with my commencal XS, til that was taken from me.

Thanks for the replay, shoot any more advice you have at me!
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Wider in front seems to be a general preference, and I'm in agreement. IMO, if youre in a hard corner & the rear gives up traction but the front still tracks, it is much easier to retain control than if the front goes out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I should correct that. It's my experience as well as opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the reply. FP & PB are just the places I can get to on short notice, when I have that itch for a descent or an outdoor ride. These tires would also be used for get'n some Sandy Ridge and Scappoose park trails. I can fit up to 2.45" wide on my Revel and still have a bit of room for natural rim flex; rain season is here, so I'll look for rain tires in a 2.25"/2.3" and find something with beefy side nobs for up front(which I was not thinking of)... Thanks a bunch!

Such wider tires at 48psi should act like their own suspension!

Edit: I've been descending on Kendas @ 45psi, that are 2.125" wide and look like...
    Powell Butte(PB) and Forest PArk(FP) Tire Recommendations.-8637.jpg

I've not hit the ground yet, but am afraid I will once I have the BB7's on and can go a little faster and brake a little harder, with more confidence.
    Observe, report.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Higher than typical pressure. If you find yourself spinning out when applying torque over roots/rocks, try letting out some of that pressure. I'm 200lbs and run my pressure at 28r/30f, 5psi less if tubeless. I do lots of climbing over technical terrain.