Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Post Canyon

OMG!

Post Canyon

Haven't been since summer. But, business brings me back for a few days.

Is it rideable now?

Sorry if this is a dumb common knowledge question, and it's buried under 5 feet of snow, but I really have no idea. Hence, why I ask.

Thanks.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It looks like a huge bomb went off with trees down everywhere. Pure destruction!

OMG!
    Ok is everything blocked? What about fmx? Barn door? Extended play?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    You don't understand! Ice took everything down. It is pure destruction. I was told at Discovery Bike Shop that the owners of the property want to go in and collect the wood.

Too Much Fun

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Post Canyon needs major work party

I haven't been up in a while, but the Jaybo speaks truth. Post Canyon needs major wood clearing attention.

Here's some info: Post Canyon | The Gorge is my Gym
    - -benja- -

OMG!
    Thanks for the tips guys. And, I'll be the third to say the jaybo knows what he's talking about

My thought was I could at least clear a takeoff and landing to SOMETHING. But, ya "looks like a bomb went off" is an accurate description. I couldn't even make it past the apple orchards on reordin hill due to fallen trees on the road.

Did have a gorgeous ride on syncline though. Hit it right as the sun was out.

Happy vday everyone

Too Much Fun

New question here. How's Syncline holding up?

Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie View Post
    Nice! Tell me more. What's Syncline like? Snowy? Mud? I haven't hit it since last Nov and I'm kind of jonesing for a sesh.
    - -benja- -

OMG!
    get up there man! it's riding really good. there's some wet spots, but pretty much dry, and very rideable!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. And, I'll be the third to say the jaybo knows what he's talking about

My thought was I could at least clear a takeoff and landing to SOMETHING. But, ya "looks like a bomb went off" is an accurate description. I couldn't even make it past the apple orchards on reordin hill due to fallen trees on the road.

Happy vday everyone
    my kids wanted to hit family man tomorrow, is the road clear up to there?

troubled economist
    A great place to get regular updates for Post Canyon is the Hood River Area Trail Stewards (HRATS) site.

As of late January, the place was trashed and snow still abundant:
    Hood River Area Trail Stewards: A Bomb Went Off......

Here's the lowdown on Post Canyon trails. Several trail adopters have reported major tree's have either topped themselves or dropped. Hardest hit are the longer XC trails, Extended Play is fully intact, yet The Scooter and Lower GP have some serious 'Storm Recovery' work before us. The 'Family Man' area is intact as well. More news as it comes my way. Snow is holding us out. So be careful if you venture into the area by yourself.

And:

The Jan 21 2012 'Snowmegedon' storm has been dubbed 'The Worst Storm To Ever Slam Post Canyon' according to local elders.
    dig...

mtbr member
    woke up to 2" of snow on the ground so the kids are not too excited to ride in it, so no post canyon for us today. will be riding syncline tomorrow with or without snow so it should be interesting.

troubled economist

Carnage

From the Hood RATS FB:

OK folks. Every 25-35 years this bad news comes to us mountain bikers. As you all know the devastating storm of Jan 21st 2012 will go down as the most destructive ice storm to hit Post Canyon. As of today, our precious trail system that we all adore has some LONGTIME CLOSURES. Signs will be going up as "quickly as they are made" for those that actually make it to a trail head.

CLOSED PENDING A TIMBER SALVAGE/SALE AS OF FEB 28 2012
    Seven Streams (Hardest Hit!)
    Mobius Strip
    Spaggetti Factory
    Frankenstein
    Mitchell Ridge
    Blue Car
    Baby GP
    Charlies Trail
    Lower GP
    Glory Daze
    Blade Runner
    8 Track Basement
    Drop Out
    FMX

Now- Family Man is the staging area for the next two-three weeks for the log salvage operation currently in effect. PLEASE stay out of the area during 7am and 4pm to avoid their skidders, trucks and the roaming sawmen. After 4am the only thing rideable is Middle School- Loop back up to Family Man and the Pumptrack. No word yet if 'The Boot' is open for a XC loop. I'd advise all to be EXTREMELY cautious. Lots of branches are still stuck on other branches and have yet to hit the ground in certain areas. Keep an eye on your loved ones while in the area.

Hospital Hill is also undergoing a TIMBER SALE and SDS Lumber is asking for all users groups to spread the word to stay clear of that trail.

No word on the rebuilt Whoops Trail.
    dig...

mtbr member
    we rode syncline on sunday, a few down trees on the very top with some snow, but after you get out of the trees, no snow and the sun was out, great ride. on our third time down at 5 the wind was picking up and started to firm up the upper trail before little moab.

on saturday we visited discovery cycles and kurt let us ride his indoor pump track, what a blast that was and boy am i out of shape for that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Post canyon ICE images

[https://picasaweb.google.com/1060383...377/March22012

Some pictures of Current POST CANYON conditions..
    a few pictures are worth more than a thousand words. Come out and volunteer some time to clean our trail system up.
    Last edited by brycej; 03-02-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: image sizeing

mtbr member
    holy sh*t

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    A story in this weekend's Hood River News says that lower Seven Streams trail is probably lost forever (it is private land and the landowner has never been excited about the trail). In the future, you will need to ride up Post Canyon Road to the Seven Steams kiosk and pick up the trail from there. Seven Streams proper will probably be clear cut (not that big of a deal, since this area is all a county owner timber farm -- it all gets clear cut at some point). But I don't think most of this will be rideable until well into the summer. It is just destroyed. Plus, it's not just a function of cutting a path through the downed trees; they need to be removed and salvaged.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    A story in this weekend's Hood River News says that lower Seven Streams trail is probably lost forever (it is private land and the landowner has never been excited about the trail).

I agree with the lower first mile of trail... That is not coming back soon. That land owner got out there in a hurry and put signs up Large signs to stop cutting.
    Bryce Jenkinson Photography
    www.studioido.net

mtbr member
    OMFG! That is horrible. How can we help? Have chainsaw will travel.

Also you picasa link is hosed can you fix? I'd love to see more photos

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by puddletown View Post
    OMFG! That is horrible. How can we help? Have chainsaw will travel.

Also you picasa link is hosed can you fix? I'd love to see more photos
    Sorry about the Picasa link the preference was set to me only not public. It should work now thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately Post is in the hurry up and wait. We can't cut anything larger than 5" in diameter. That small diameter cutting won't open any trails The salvage and clear cut operations have to finish their work then we can head in and start rebuilding trails The HRATS site is a great location for work party information Hood River Area Trail Stewards (HRATS) | an IMBA Chapter .
    www.studioido.net

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I was distressed when the logging happened and screwed up the Mitchell Ridge Loop. I hope the lower trails don't go away too. I will be way less attracted to Post Canyon if this happens.

I LOVED Whoop De Doo in the day and was so frustrated when it got logged out. Big loss!

HR is losing some trails but CAMBA is awesome and hopefully will keep what is left open

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brycej View Post
    Sorry about the Picasa link the preference was set to me only not public. It should work now thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately Post is in the hurry up and wait. We can't cut anything larger than 5" in diameter. That small diameter cutting won't open any trails The salvage and clear cut operations have to finish their work then we can head in and start rebuilding trails The HRATS site is a great location for work party information Hood River Area Trail Stewards (HRATS) | an IMBA Chapter .
    Thanks, I'll keep my eyes on HRATS. It's going to be a tough summer

I just wanna ride my bike
    Sorry to see such destruction on the trails. Any updates as to trail status in mid-April?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what trails are actually open/rideable in Post Canyon? HRATS have not updated their trail conditions report in a month but their work party blurbs make it seem like 7 Streams, etc, is rideable. Anybody have updated info?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes seven streams is oPen. From the staging area where mitchel ridge dumps out the lower is still closed. Drop out middle school family man and eight track lower are good. Higher stuff is good too.
    www.studioido.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast