mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Possible North Umpqua Trip - Need Info.

I am considering doing a ride this summer from Crater Lake to Roseburg. I've been mountain biking for about 15 years, but I husband is new to mountain biking (beginner) and is a "young" 70 years old. Yes, you read that right!! Now that I have your attention...Riding the entire North Umpqua trail would probably be more than he wants to, or is able to do, so I was looking at a combination of pavement, forest service roads, and trails...probably pavement from Crater Lake to Diamond Lake and out to Lemolo Lake, and then I was looking at Road 3401 from Lemolo Lake to Toketee to avoid the busy highway. Does anyone here have experience riding that road? I'd like to know if there would be much climbing heading from east to west and if the road is paved or dirt. Next I'd like suggestions on the easiest sections of the North Umpqua trail for a beginner to ride. And finally, I'd like to know if there are other forest roads that we could take to avoid the highway on our way to Roseburg. I'm orginally from the area, but some tips from those of you currently in the area would help me figure out if this trip is feasable. It would be mainly a sightseeing trip, and we would take several days and stay in lodges/inns and keep the daily mileage low.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    In case this helps, I believe Road 3401 is also known as Thorn Prairie Road.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by jckid
    It would be mainly a sightseeing trip, and we would take several days and stay in lodges/inns and keep the daily mileage low.
    There are not a whole lot of lodges/inns along the route. If you are trying to keep the daily mileage low you will probably need to try and figure out shuttling between where you end up each day and the closest lodge/inn.

The technically easiest section of the NUT in my opinion is the Mott section. Pack your IvyBlock and be prepared for poison oak.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I am considering doing a ride this summer from Crater Lake to Roseburg. I've been mountain biking for about 15 years, but I husband is new to mountain biking (beginner) and is a "young" 70 years old. Yes, you read that right!! Now that I have your attention...Riding the entire North Umpqua trail would probably be more than he wants to, or is able to do, so I was looking at a combination of pavement, forest service roads, and trails...probably pavement from Crater Lake to Diamond Lake and out to Lemolo Lake, and then I was looking at Road 3401 from Lemolo Lake to Toketee to avoid the busy highway. Does anyone here have experience riding that road? I'd like to know if there would be much climbing heading from east to west and if the road is paved or dirt. Next I'd like suggestions on the easiest sections of the North Umpqua trail for a beginner to ride. And finally, I'd like to know if there are other forest roads that we could take to avoid the highway on our way to Roseburg. I'm orginally from the area, but some tips from those of you currently in the area would help me figure out if this trip is feasable. It would be mainly a sightseeing trip, and we would take several days and stay in lodges/inns and keep the daily mileage low.
    Lemolo to Toketee includes the most difficult sections of the trail. Dread and Terror is not a place for a beginner.

While you are up here continue to Eugene and visit us at Bike Friday.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Lemolo to Toketee includes the most difficult sections of the trail. Dread and Terror is not a place for a beginner.

While you are up here continue to Eugene and visit us at Bike Friday.
    That's why I was looking at riding from Lemolo to Toketee on Thorn Prairie Road, rather than the trail. I read that Tread and Terror is a hard section, so I thought this road might be an easier alternative.

Funny you should mention Bike Friday, because I had you guys build me a Pocket Rocket Pro almost two years ago! I can't say enough about Bike Friday. That bike is so much fun to ride! I tried to find a picture to post, but I'm in all the pics and I don't really like to post pics of myself.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've driven on Thorn Prairie Road past the Hot Springs TH up to Thorn Prairie and I recall it being a gravel road all the way. But thats just 3 or 4 miles up.

The easiest trail up there is the Riverview Trail, it parallels Mott on the north side of the river and follows the old highway. You can do a loop with Mott.

No forest roads down to Roseburg, Swiftwater Park is at the end of the BLM lands. You could ride down North Bank Road out of Glide and then follow back roads to Roseburg. But the shuttles would definitely be your best option.

mtbr member
    The Mott, Panther, Calf and Marsters sections are the shorter segments of the NUT. They range in mileage from around 5 miles (Mott and Panther) to around 3.5 miles (Calf and Marsters). The Calf section just reopened last year after being closed the last 5. The Calf section is temporarily closed again due to blow down and mud slides as a result of the recent winter storm that moved through here. I say those sections are more suitable for a beginner and like Shiggy said, Dread and Terror is probably not for a beginner. I would also add Deer Leap and Tioga segments to that list as well. Be aware that even though the NUT is a river side trail, there is quite a bit of up and down climbing involved.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    And Calf was closed before the last storm that closed the highway for 4 or 5 days due to all of the trees down. I hate to think of the condition of the trails.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    That's why I was looking at riding from Lemolo to Toketee on Thorn Prairie Road, rather than the trail. I read that Tread and Terror is a hard section, so I thought this road might be an easier alternative.

Funny you should mention Bike Friday, because I had you guys build me a Pocket Rocket Pro almost two years ago! I can't say enough about Bike Friday. That bike is so much fun to ride! I tried to find a picture to post, but I'm in all the pics and I don't really like to post pics of myself.
    I cheated and looked at your profile. You have Bike Friday under "bikes owned."
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Gittyup!
    I put together a page w/ info on the NUT a while back. Here it is:

http://gittyup.net/northumpqua

I haven't updated it since last May, but it should point you in the right direction! I've got descriptions of each section on there so you can research it a bit more. If you were interested in spending some extra dough for the peace of mind of having a guide, you might want to check w/ the folks at CogWild (www.cogwild.com) I believe they can do custom trips and and you wouldn't need to worry so much about the details.

Hope that helps! Enjoy... that's one of the most beautiful stretches of trail in the US, if not the world. Amazing place.

Don't worry, be happy!
    is that a correct link?

I put together a page w/ info on the NUT a while back. Here it is:

http://gittyup.net/northumpqua
    page appears to be dead, domain up for grabs?