Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Portland trails?

Does anyone know of quality singletrack within the city, or in the immediate outskirts? Either xc stuff or downhill, I love it all

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can locate a thread on this,but the short answer is nothing.I wish that I could offer "something".Sandy Ridge is 40 miles from the east side of Portland.Worth it,but 40 miles to get there.Not to mention the "pleasure" of driving through Gesham and Sandy.

-Cheers!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    You can locate a thread on this,but the short answer is nothing.I wish that I could offer "something".Sandy Ridge is 40 miles from the east side of Portland.Worth it,but 40 miles to get there.Not to mention the "pleasure" of driving through Gesham and Sandy.

-Cheers!
    I use an ultra secret route around these towns that is actually somewhat pleasant to drive.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I use an ultra secret route around these towns that is actually somewhat pleasant to drive.
    I believe that it was Prince who wrote "take me with you".Heal up and guide...I always want to go in the afternoon ,but I can't stomach the thought of that drive from the Hawthorne area.

Metalheadbikerider

Troutdale exit....

off of 84 now that the construction is finished on it isn't that bad. It pops you out on 26 beyond Gresham. It's definitely faster than going through Gresham.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So not much in Mt. Tabor, Forest Park, or other surrounding areas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by applecakes View Post
    this is portland they don't believe in being able to ride your bike off the pavement.
    Voice your support for Timberline Bike Park
    http://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountainbike/

...ride to live
    Sep 2011
    I happened across a little park in Beaverton that is like a dirt version of a skate park. Seemed pretty busy with local BMX'rs. Just in case you want to just sharpen skills.

plug this into google maps: Eichler Park, Beaverton, OR

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    There are some trails at Mt. Tabor. It will probably take you longer to get to Mt. Tabor then it will to ride the single track unless you live within 1 block of Mt. Tabor.

Forest Park has a scant bit of legal single track (I think it's 1/8 of a mile). There are plenty of fire roads to ride on to keep you in shape, but it's not very interesting.

Powell Butte has some single track. Which trails are open to bicycles depends on which map or sign you look at. You can measure the single track in miles, but it still isn't anything to get excited about. It is on the spring water trail, so you can ride your bike there and back.

All in all, a cyclocross bike would be the bike of choice within city limits. It'll get you to and from all these places and would be good enough to ride the dirt as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you just moved here and have an out of state ID, I would ride everything you can in forest park and just play dumb when you get yelled at. Should be good for at least a few decent miles=0

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Forest Park has Trail W which opens up at night with lights Good riding until the rain turns it to a mucky mess...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Forest Park has Trail W which opens up at night with lights Good riding until the rain turns it to a mucky mess...
    A lit night trail sounds awesome!

what the quan?!
    There should be a sticky in this forum about how bad Portland is towards fellow MTB'ers.

A 45-60min drive out side of town in any direction and some of the best trails will available for you to shred on! The drive is definitely worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    is the search this forum button broken?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    is the search this forum button broken?
    Search on this site is a bit funny, I always seem to screw it up the first time. The button is for all the forums, not just this one. I have to remember to go into the advanced search and choose the forum specifically. To add insult to injury, I have to wait 30 seconds between searches.

Since there really isn't any single track in Portland, a search for it should return nothing

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dangdang View Post
    There should be a sticky in this forum about how bad Portland is towards fellow MTB'ers.

A 45-60min drive out side of town in any direction and some of the best trails will available for you to shred on! The drive is definitely worth it.

I think a "There is no single track in Portland" sticky would be a deserved black mark on Portland. If that is a bit too much, a Portland Single track sticky with the scant bits listed would work as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    45 MIN. WEST // TILLAMOOK STATE FOREST HWY 6: browns camp, gales creek, story burn, wilson river, sikter lars trails (also Stubb Stewart state park trails, but haven't been yet)
    30 MIN. EAST // COLUMBIA GORGE: Gorge trail 400, Larch mtn. trails
    20 MIN. NW // town of SCAPPOOSE: Scapoose trail network... which are mostly snoresville.

Also, Powell Butte is worth the drive for singletrack mtb'ing. Forest Park is not worth the drive for MTB'ing, even if you live at 28th and Flanders.

...ride to live
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdombrow View Post

I think a "There is no single track in Portland" sticky would be a deserved black mark on Portland. If that is a bit too much, a Portland Single track sticky with the scant bits listed would work as well.
    We use to single track cow trails on Sauvie Island. Not sure if this is still allowed.

highly visible
    My search for "Portland Singletrack" on this forum returned 176 results. Of which, I'm guessing, probably about 170 bash on this city's lack of singletrack and cultural hatred towards mountain biking.

Bdombrow listed everything I know of. I should add that the trails at Powell Butte are illegal when the tread is wet (i.e., right now).

Unicorns are more common in Portland than real mountain biking. I mean legal mountain biking, Jaybo!

A lit night trail sounds awesome!
    Yes ... yes, it does. But now you're talking about finding a purple-and-yellow striped unicorn. Good luck with that.

What Jaybo is talking about is using your OWN lights to ride the Wildwood trail. Which is not only illegal, but really makes the rest of us look bad if it's rained in the past few weeks, since you WILL leave tire tracks in the puddles. Please don't.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 09-19-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for clarifying this for me... Sounds awfully dreary.. Maybe it's time to sell the bike :'(

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Avoiding Wildwood will not make "us" look any better.Go ahead,play fair and enjoy your miles of nothing.What makes people look bad is not riding and getting fat.Those Skinny jeans and little phones don't make anyone look better either.Portland deserves a big black mark when it comes to cycling.Enjoy the green boxes!

Singletrack Addict
    Thanks for clarifying this for me... Sounds awfully dreary.. Maybe it's time to sell the bike :'(
    Don't do that. There is still world class mountain biking trails within one-two and three hours of driving. If we give up and sell our mountain bikes, we might as well write off those great trails too since the urban-dwelling part-time hiking enthusiasts that want to turn all into wilderness will have won.

what the quan?!

Good job!

It's really not that bad. (unless you don't have a vehicle, but lots of people carpool!)

I grew up riding in so-cal and getting to a decent mtb trail was always a good 30-60 minute drive.

I spent a handfull years in a the midwest... no mountains... just hills. To me, that riding style was rather sub-par no matter how far you drove.

When I moved back out to the west, the PNW looked like a great idea...The thought of single track right out my back yard... well that didn't happen. However, the trails out here definitely blow any of the so-cal stuff away that I used to ride on.

highly visible
    What Snake Muesl said. Yes you will have to drive to the trails, but they are worth it.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dangdang View Post
    However, the trails out here definitely blow any of the so-cal stuff away that I used to ride on.
    Good reminder to me. I also started mountain bike riding in So. Cal. Lots of 30-60 minute drives for the privilege of riding fire roads (single track back in those days was more or less non-existent -- you maybe could find a mile of it in a 20 mile ride). And the fire roads all went pretty much straight up or straight down. So, compared to where I started, Portland isn't so bad. Well, I don't live in Portland anymore and am a 10 minute spin from miles and miles of awesome singletrack and a 30 minute care ride from tons of great riding. But still some good perspective.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast