mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Portland off road cycling survey

Not sure how long this survey has been out but it was posted on NWTA and a few other places the past few days. Add your responses and comments. Someday we can dream that Portland might have some legitimate mountain biking.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/offroadcycling

mtbr member
    So I filled one of those out a couple years ago... are they going to continue doing surveys or are they going to start taking some action like at Riverview, Forest Park or Gateway Green? Serious question.

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    So I filled one of those out a couple years ago... are they going to continue doing surveys or are they going to start taking some action like at Riverview, Forest Park or Gateway Green? Serious question.

Thanks,

G
    They'll need to do a survey to see if further surveys are needed.
    Last edited by the-one1; 08-10-2016 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Done

Metalheadbikerider
    The conclusion they drew from the last survey is that more surveying is needed. Portland, the city of surveys. I do think the results of this survey will be more impactful given it's connection to the Off Road Cycling Plan. Please be sure to include things you would like to see that they might not be thinking about (need for advanced trails, adding technical challenges/alternate lines to already established places like Powell Butte, flow trail at Mt Tabor, etc). There is some low hanging fruit that could easily and quickly improve the riding here that would cost very little and require little future maintenance. Help them to see the possibilities and give them as many ideas as possible to work with.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hikers want mountain bikers off Forest Park trails | KGW.com

So frustrating. Amazing what some people get hysterical about (especially things that don't exist). Think of the children!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Those pathetic chumps can't even drag there sorry, flabby selves to the park without driving. I am personally going to make a point of riding WILDWOOD the rest of the year. Bring it on hiking Nazi. Idiots, every single one of them. And for those of you who think that playing nice will bring mtb to this city...You obviously have not witnessed this b.s. since the eighties. BTW, that survey was an insult. Full face helmet picture associated with "technical" trails??? Public education may rival the parks department in mismanagement, but those folks should wake up and realize what is the right thing to do. RIDE!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    I have not been able to ride this summer, so my wife and I have been hiking more in the Gorge, around Mt Hood and in Forest Park. We're doing 10-15 miles on weekend trips to Forest Park and only seeing 5-10 people on the trails. On the popular trails in the the Gorge and around Mt Hood we're seeing 100's of people on a single trail. It blows me away that they're using conflict as an excuse to exclude bikes from the park, but in my experience, over the weekend there isn't anybody out there to have a conflict with.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Exactly. Kind of like the remote Wilderness trails that are disappearing. And if you go out past Germantown those numbers drop by 90%. I like how they ask her about new trails designed for bikes/multi-use and she just vaguely states that will lead to more conflicts...what?!? Portland politics and extremist "conservationists" are the worst.

However, justified or not, I do think the safety issue should be more directly addressed by trail advocacy groups. This argument carries more weight in swaying the non-extremists and uninformed against bikes, and is a more valid concern than the irrational "we don't like you" or "bikes are incompatible with nature" arguments. More could be done to communicate the many trail design options that can reduce risks of conflict.