mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Portland to Moab

I live in the Portland metro area and I'm starting to consider a road trip to Moab in April or May. I've never been to Moab and figured it might be a great way to celebrate my upcoming 40th Bday. Any Portlanders out there who have made the long drive to ride the slickrock? How is the drive? Was it worth it? Any hints, suggestions, etc.

Tree Hugger
    We drove it from Eugene in approx 16 hours. It was a long, boring drive. Beware, there's long distances between gas stations in SE Oregon, NW Nevada. We almost ran out of gas between Klamath Falls andI-80.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Singletrack Addict
    Done it a few times, you should definitely go. Check out the Utah forum on these boards, they have a sticky with a lot of great info.
    I am leaving on Feb 9th for a road trip to Tucson for the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo and if weather serves we will spend a few days in Moab on the way down.

16 hours is about right, although I made it home to Portland once in 14 hours

mtbr member
    Some friends and I did it early last Summer. We split the drive up with some riding. We drove the first day to SLC, UT in about 12hrs. Slept about 5hrs, woke up and rode the BST, overlooking SLC. Went and got breakfast in SLC and hit the road again for about another 5hrs. to Moab. ...Totally worth it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

www.utahmountainbiking.com

Moonrise,

check out this website. Bruce has put together an amazing collection of trail info and you can print trailguides. If you go in Apr or May, depending on the weather, you should be able to hit some great riding in the immediate SLC area on your way down.
    Also, if you're in Moab, do yourself a favor and visit Fruita. (www.otesports.com) It's only about 1-1.5 hours East on I-70. Have a great time!

AW_
    locked - time out
    Do it!!!!! It's an easy drive except for the duration. Well worth it though. There really are a lot of good rides down there. If you end up going to Fruita too, consider Grand Junction as well. I think I liked it better than Fruita. Definitely under hyped. Hook up a shuttle to the top of Ribbon and ride back down into the city (in GJ). Porc Rim in Moab is an awesome shuttle too. Of course you can pedal up if that is what you are into. Man there is a ton of good stuff down there. Slickrock is basically a giant skatepark for mountain bikes. So much fun. Make sure you figure out when the big off road Jeep festival thing is in Moab and avoid it! It's sometime in the spring for a week or so. Oh yeah one last thing. If you like beer, make sure you bring some from home.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    The drive is painfully long but the destination is worth it. Eastern Oregon is the worst. Brush...brush...hey look! More brush!

What day are we riding?

It's worth it

Takes me about 14 hours from Bend.

Depending on time you have, you could also look at picking up some rides in Fruita/Grand Junction area.

Good Utah trail links at http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/