Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    It's a love/ hate thing

Portland Indoor Bike Park

Is it feasible? Or do mountain bikers just turn into snowboarders and skiers in the winter in Oregon? Am I and a few others the only ones thinking about it?

Thinking of a park similar to the Ray's model; year round operation would unlikely be feasible economically, unless it was publicly owned and funded.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Drop me a PM, this is not a new idea

-Berg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'd buy a season pass in an instant if we had some covered jumps that were close to the city center. Doesn't need to be fully enclosed, just dry, and easy access. Under a bridge would be ok too.

Cannonball!
    I would love to see a Portland version of Ray's! It would take some huge $ to get that off the ground though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Question: Would anyone be willing to drive to Salem to access a park?
    Last edited by mcoatney; 11-19-2009 at 09:09 AM.

troubled economist
    A covered place to ride would be great. Something like Ray's or a bike version of the Skatechurch facility (but with bikes and no "church") would rock. Or, just a covered area like the Burnside skate park or Seattle's Colonade would be better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoatney
    Question: Would anyone be willing to drive to Salem to access a park?
    Depends... I already make the trip to Black Rock several times a year, and this would be closer, so I could see it happening. Especially if it was built with the equivalent quality of BR (and having the same good vibe as BR wouldn't hurt, either, I've met the coolest people there, don't know what it is about that place, it just rocks...).

However, I really think that this is possible in Portland. We need the space, first... if that was acquired, I think the rest could fall into place. But then I believe that we'll be able to ride decent trail in FP at some point in the near future, so take that with a grain of salt....

***Edit***

A year-round covered area would be something to think about including in the Gateway Green project...
    Last edited by toowacky; 11-19-2009 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Old Freightliner plant in Portland would be a great facility to repurpose! Anyone in a position to cover the lease?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What do lease rates look like in Portland? In Salem we're looking at $13,000 all the way up to $93,000/month for warehouse space.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swift
    Old Freightliner plant in Portland would be a great facility to repurpose! Anyone in a position to cover the lease?
    But they are still building trucks there, I believe they will keep it open for the military line.

And I would not drive to Salem to ride a park that even resembled Colonade in Seattle, although I had a blast the last time I was at Colonade, in my opinion, it's only worth a couple hours of fun at most. Feel free to build one in Salem if you guys so desire.

A park in Portland would be ideal. I am really looking forward to the Gateway Green project and have very positive thoughts for it. I feel this is where most of the energy should be spent, rather than a new covered bike park project, plus it sounds like Gateway Green is moving along nicely.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

It's a love/ hate thing
    Not sure if the Salem Fairgrounds are up and running again, I've heard the set up BRMBA had last year is still up. I'd likely head down there once a month or possibly more if it is the only spot to ride. (Used to make regular trips to the Salem & Silverton park for the 20" sessions years ago when I lived here) We rode it once last season on our way through.
    http://www.ihatebikes.net/wordpress/...orjumps-salem/

A city like Portland with its reputation for riding really needs it's own facility though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    As far as I know the jumps were taken down for the state fair and have not been replaced. We're looking at a Ray's-type facility, but with skill clinics, summer camps for kids, and maybe some sort of partnership with BRMBA. We'll see....

It's a love/ hate thing
    according to a thread on the BRMBA site, they are planning to have them rebuilt by early December. I am not seeing any press releases about a build day at the moment.

As far as driving down to ride it, not everyone will, but I think there are plenty of people that are willing to travel to have a dry place to ride, assuming the area is built well enough to keep people challenged. We've been talking about a day trip to Seattle to ride the Colonnade as well. Admittedly, while its construction is a great achievement by Evergreen, it could be more challenging.

One does get tired of cold and wet trail rides. Variety is a good thing.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Well, just to let all of you know! We are opening an indoor bike park in Bend Oregon; and hope to be open late January!!!!!
    We have a huge foam pit and resi-ramp, not to mention the 30,000sq. ft. of warehouse that will be filled with the perfect dirt for jumps. We plan on having a large doubles line for competitions, but it will also have some smaller doubles for warming up and less skilled riders to progress. There will be 3-4 freeride lines with real log and rock features, something for everyone, from begginer to hucker. We also plan to have an XC/AllMtn/ begginer loop, that will have optional begginer features for those of you who are new to that type of riding. There will be a full service bike shop, and in the near future, a cafe/retaurant lounge, so you have a place to hang and watch your buddies while you enjoy some tasty food and cold beverage. Our website is www.gravitylabsbikepark@bendbroadband.com Or I can be reached at 1-877-264-7281 Hope to see you all shredding our park this winter!
    Last edited by NastyNick; 11-21-2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Welcome to the world of GRAVITY LABS

troubled economist

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick
    We have a huge foam pit and resi-ramp, not to mention the 30,000sq. ft. of warehouse that will be filled with the perfect dirt for jumps. We plan on having a large doubles line for competitions, but it will also have some smaller doubles for warming up and less skilled riders to progress. There will be 3-4 freeride lines with real log and rock features, something for everyone, from begginer to hucker. We also plan to have an XC/AllMtn/ begginer loop, that will have optional begginer features for those of you who are new to that type of riding.
    You guys are killing it down there. Nice work! I'm jealous... and inspired at the same time.

VP/ Terrain Designer

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I want something I can hit in the evening for 90 minutes or a quick weekend session. If you work out, think of it like a gym, let's say the worlds most awesome gym was built in Salem and you live in PDX, would you ever drive there? No. We are talking about indoor riding and the competition for that drive time is outdoor experience with big terrain, no crowds, and fresh air. I can't see people regularly making a long drive to ride their bike indoors.

How about that indoor MX track out in Hillsboro, is that still running? It's pretty big, not sure if any of you saw the dirt jump event (wham bam) they had maybe two years ago but it was sick and only used 1/4 of the space. But even that would be a pain in the ass for me to get to more than once in a while since I live in the city and that is like 40 minutes of driving.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    People travel from all over our country and world to go ride at Rays indoor park. Granted our building is not 110,000sq. ft.; but for those of us that eat, sleep, and breath biking; it will be an incredible place to hone our skills and learn new ones.

It's a love/ hate thing
    Bend is a bit of a drive for us, but when you have your grand opening, I'm planning to be there. Looking forward to hearing more.

JVH

It's a love/ hate thing
    An update on the Salem Covered area:

still not complete, or technically open, but kids are all over the moto track, skate park, and there were bmx bikes everywhere. The jumps are still gated, but some of the kids were using the landing of the first hit to ride the next three.

The wood kicker to the bark chip jump is ridable though, and way too fun for big kids like ourselves:
    http://www.ihatebikes.net/wordpress/...mp-spot-check/

Healing nations.
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNick
    Welcome to the world of GRAVITY LABS
    I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by pbr
    An update on the Salem Covered area:
    I can't wait!

BIG thanks to everyone helping the progression of our sport here in the off-season!

mtbr member
    I'm moving back to P-Town this weekend. I will be picking up a BM Riot in January, so I'll be making a trip to Bend to ride the Gravity Labs Bike Park as soon as it's open. Woo Hoo!
    Ignoranus: (N) A person who is both stupid and an a**hole.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    sweet, we'll be seeing you there!

troubled economist

Here's another, in Ontario...

Don't know if you've seen it:

Joyride 150

If youíre the type that canít imagine going a whole winter without riding your bike, then itís time to rejoice. Joyride 150 is here. Inspired by Rayís MTB Indoor Park in Cleveland, Joyride is ready to quell any jones local riders will be suffering from this winter.

With over 90,000 square feet of entertainment for two wheels, the owners are not messing around. Theyíve got terrain to appease just about every level of rider.
    Sweet...

VP/ Terrain Designer
    This is great, because its a place to ride when the weather is bad, but why must people keep building sterile skate park-esque facilities. Last time I checked my wheels were bigger than a couple inches. I understand the need for terrain like this, but why would you fill a majority of your space with that.Don't get me wrong here, I know there are lots of park/street riders that dig that environment; but lets switch it up a little, and think outside the particle board box jumps! Sweet sweet manicured dirt, packed to perfection with just the perfect amount of moisture... Logs with freshely split cedar and Giant boulders to appeal to the freerider in all of us. An indoor bike park should be more than the average cookie cutter skate-esque style park. As stated before, the revolution is coming winter 2010. www.gravitylabsbikepark.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast