mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Portland / Hood for 4 day visit, help!

Hey all,

I'm coming 4 days early for a business trip because I've never been to Portland before. I've heard its a great city and the biking is top notch. Coming from New Hampshire. I do mostly trail / cross country riding, but haven't gotten in great shape yet this year. Where should I ride? I'd appreciate any local recommendations for food, lodging, guides, rides, and most importantly where I can rent a good bike for a few days. I'll be paying attention to this thread so feel free to ask a question if I'm not being specific enough.

Brills

mtbr member
    Lots of riding in Portland! Some on trails! Great beer and food. Cool bike shops as well.
    Mountain biking, I'd stay/start in Hood River! Awesome brewskis, restaurants, bike shops.
    If you ride in the Gorge, make sure you know what poison oak looks like, and check for ticks after. It's worth it though.
    Check out the Edgefield (you won't believe how cool this place is on the outskirts of Portland) on the way up the gorge! My favorite place to stay in the area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks! I think hood river seems like a great option.

Anyone know a bike shop I can get a nice ride rented for a few days?

mtbr member
    This place is recommended by Fat Tire Farm in Portland. They rent Giant, Yeti, Pivot, Santa Cruz, Juliana, Ibis:
    Rentals + Demos — Hood River Bicycles

Specialized, Trek, Intense, Lapierre:
    Specialized Bikes, Trek, Pivot, Intense Cycles. Bikes for Rent and Bike Demos. - Mountain View Cycles 205 Oak St Hood River OR 97031 541-386-2453

Also this place but doesn't say what models:
    Rentals - Discover Bicycles

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    I'm pretty sure Hood River Bicycles is owned by or affiliated with Fat Tire Farm and they are seasonal only... there is some resentment locally over this since it seems they're poaching business from the year-round shops.

If you want to support the locals (which would be much appreciated, since the trails are built and maintained by the locals and shop-sponsored events) then Dirty Fingers, Mt View, or Discover are good choices.

Disclaimer: I do not work with any bike shops. I just live in HR, volunteer for trail building, and frequent my local shops.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimbers View Post
    I'm pretty sure Hood River Bicycles is owned by or affiliated with Fat Tire Farm and they are seasonal only... there is some resentment locally over this since it seems they're poaching business from the year-round shops.

If you want to support the locals (which would be much appreciated, since the trails are built and maintained by the locals and shop-sponsored events) then Dirty Fingers, Mt View, or Discover are good choices.

Disclaimer: I do not work with any bike shops. I just live in HR, volunteer for trail building, and frequent my local shops.
    Word.

Go with dirty finger. They'll hook you up with good trail beta too.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I don't use them much, but I've always felt Fat Tire Farm had a decent reputation. And Hood River Bicycles does seem to have the best fleet of demo/rental bikes in the area. Can't fault them for going after a market that nobody else has.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    FTF has a very good reputation. However, they aren't a local shop. Hood River Bicycles is part of FTF, and charges top dollar for their rentals (and their name is rather disingenuous, IMO). I was talking with a guy from Discover Bicycles tonight and they do have rentals. So its inaccurate to say that no one else has a part of the market.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks guys for all the bike rental options, looks like that'll work out better than shipping my bike.

I was hoping I could do the 3 day cascade hut to hut tour, but looks like there's still too much snow for that trip. Bummer! Any other ride or lodging recommendations!?

I'll be sure to post a trip report after, thanks for all the help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Is sandy ridge worth checking out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brills View Post
    Is sandy ridge worth checking out?
    Definitely. BLM-managed trail system with a variety of official trails from very basic beginner loops, an intermediate cross-country loop, flow trails, jump lines, and technical/advanced features and rock gardens. I think it's 15 miles of trail. Paved road to the top. There's a huge thread about it elsewhere in these forums. Plus El Burro Loco is an excellent Tex-Mex place along the main road in Brightwood (east of the trail system).

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    perfect, thanks very much TBMaddux. Especially about where to grab the after ride burrito. I'm still wondering if I can ride some of the cascade hut trails, or if any are particularly awesome? And if there's a hot springs/ride location where I can put those two in the same day. No hot springs local to NH, so I'd love to go places that really feel different from home sweet new england.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bagby hot springs are awesome but not close per say. If you want to do hot springs close to riding, you could do McKenzie river trail, Oakridge, or Umpqua. Good bike rentals in Oakridge. All three of them would give you the quintessential Oregon MTB experience. Also hot springs in the gorge if you were to ride something like Fals Creek or Lewis River but not "good" ones. If you hit Sandy my after ride recomendation is Skyway
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brills View Post
    And if there's a hot springs/ride location where I can put those two in the same day.
    Belknap Hot Springs, right on the bottom 1/3rd of the McKenzie River Trail.
    Belknap Hot Spring Pools