mtbr member

Portland area trails in winter

New to the Portland Area. Looking for a fix. Anything worth riding within say a 40 mile radius? Preferably a trail that I wont mess up by riding this time of year? What about scapoose or Molalla river corridor? I do like techy trails so any input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Metalheadbikerider

Best option

Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    New to the Portland Area. Looking for a fix. Anything worth riding within say a 40 mile radius? Preferably a trail that I wont mess up by riding this time of year? What about scapoose or Molalla river corridor? I do like techy trails so any input is welcome. Thanks in advance.
    for techy trail in the winter is Gorge Trail 400, and it is about 38 miles from PDX. Plenty of tech, but make sure to stop once you get to the PCT if you ride it that far. And if you are new to the area, welcome and check out my sig!
    Cheers!
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Take a look at 3 Corner Rock out of Washougal, should still be good. Plus there will be very little mud on this trail.

Molalla is closed to bikes in the winter.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Singletrack Addict

Get Yer Climb On

I ride Three Corner Rock regularly throughout the year. I rode it this past Friday and even after all that rain we got last week, it was in great shape. Encountered a little snow, but except for the most severe winter "events" it stays relatively snow-free along the first half.

The trail itself is nine miles and climbs from around 900 ft el. to over 3000 ft. It's a rare winter that the trail is clear of snow all the way to the top, but the lower half to Stebbins Creek is a quality fix, with a little tech and lots of good climbing.

By parking at Dougan Falls and riding a three mile gravel road warmup/cool down you can get a solid two hours of riding over fifteen miles. The good climbing on the way out translates to a rippin good time going down

mtbr member
    Snake, How's the trail holding up? I didn't get a chance to ride it over last summer.

Several years ago, during the no snow year when the ski areas rarely even opened, I rode from bottom to top the of 3 Corner Rock. The creek crossing was damn cold though.

Darkslide18, you'll either love this trail or hate it...Myself, I love it, but I have friends that don't care for it much.

mtbr member
    Thanx for the replies guys. How do I get to 3 rocks? What town is close by so I can reference it on a map. And by may hate the trail, whats wrong with it?

mtbr member
    Check out Mt Biking Portland, it has a pretty good description of 3 Corner Rock, as riding the road up and trail down.

As for liking it or disliking it...I really like this trail, it's one of my favorites.

My reasons for liking it...Could also be why some don't care for it.

Rarely see anybody on it, especially in the winter
    A fare amount of climbing, also translates into a fare amount of downhill
    A lot of switchbacks
    Rocky trail surface
    Really nice view if you do the final push up to 3 Corner Rock

Over the last few years it has not been getting a lot of love, as far as trail maintenance goes, but it's a pretty solid trail, so it's holding up well. The upper section can get a little brushy in the summer. The crossing of Stebbins Creek about halfway up can be a little tricky mid winter and into the spring.

I like to ride it as an out and back, it seems like you get as much climbing going out as you do coming back.

Singletrack Addict
    Thanx for the replies guys. How do I get to 3 rocks? What town is close by so I can reference it on a map. And by may hate the trail, whats wrong with it?
    It's about 20 miles up the Washougal River from the town of Washougal, WA. From my house in NEPO I can be at Dougan Falls in 50 minutes.

OldHouseMan prettty much summed up the love/hate relationship. You'll definitely earn yer turn.

+1 for the O&B, especially this time of year when you might run into snow going up the road, not to mention it would force the stream crossing. Plus, I would always rather ride singletrack than road anyday.

OHM: Actually the trail is in pretty excellent shape compared to what it was a couple of years ago. The DNR rebuilt a couple of washed out culverts earlier this year and the wreckage of the windstorms from 2 years ago got cleared last fall. There still is some tread damage up above tree line and the brushing you mention.

Later in the spring there will be a couple of casual work parties up there to focus on the brushwork. The DNR is aware of the need for some tread work up high, so hopefully we can work with them, get a corps of volunteers and whip this trail back into shape!

I got nothin'

Wrt

If the snow is not too low, which it will be tomorrow night, then the Wilson River Trail (Tillamook State Forest) is great in the winter. it holds up well in the wet and you can get your fill of climbing if you begin at Elks Creek Campground. If the snow is low, you can start at the Forestry Center on Highway 6 and ride either east or west as far as you care to.

Scappoose does ok in the wet, plan on getting into some mud. There are a few trails to stay off. You will know which ones if you begin to ride them.
    I ride at ludicrous speed