mtbr member
    Aug 2009

portland area singletrack?

hi, i'm a n00b around here and to mountain biking in general, been a fairly dedicated roadie (100+ miles per week) for a while now but was recently converted to 'the dark side' by a friend who took me off-road into the deserts of southern california.

so now i'm wondering, where are the fun places to go off-road in the portland area? and where do i find maps and info about routes?

cheers!

thumb

Singletrack Addict
    Welcome to the dark side, thumbprinter. With a handle like that, I'll just assume you're a narc and proceed with caution. For instance, I don't know anything about "strange lights" in Forest Park.

When you say "Portland Area" are you assuming off raod trails that can be easily ridden to from the city? Or mountain biking?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks snake, you should definitely proceed with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl

When you say "Portland Area" are you assuming off raod trails that can be easily ridden to from the city? Or mountain biking?
    all of the above?

Tube bender
    Aug 2008
    Just sent you a PM.

I am ridding Hagg lake late this afternoon, 5PM. Killer singel track around the lake. Its about 45 min outside of Portland by car but worth it. Call (# sent in PM) if you want to come out.

I have been training for Cycle Oregon on my road bike all summer (not nearly enough!, not 100 miles a week) and need to get a ride in on the MTB. Trail should be dam near perfict after Fridays rain and sitting for two days.

Mark

mtbr member
    When I originally moved to Portland this is what I picked up...

The Singletrack Anthology Hood River - Not sure if this is still in print - There also was a Bend addition

Mountain Biking Portland - I'm pretty sure this is still in print

50 Choice Singletracks - This one is not in print anymore

Hood River Oregon Mountain Biking Map by Adventure Press - Still in print

These are a really good start for somebody new to the area or new to Mt Biking. I still go back to these occasionally and haven't ridden every ride in the books.

Any bike shop in town should have them and Powell's Books will also. For the out of print books, look at Powell's, I see them occasionally.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think if you got the Hood River area and the NW Oregon/ Portland area maps from Adventure Press (the water and tear resistant glossy green ones) that would be about all you need. Should have them at just about any bike shop.

In general...lotta off road riding but not really singletrack right in town in Forest Park. Still fun, great for getting in shape (ie hilly), and scenic and quiet for right next to downtown.

Lots of great singletrack 45 mins to 1:30 drive from town. Lots more around the state for longer weekend trips (Bend, Oakridge, etc.)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It is tough

I'm sitting her in Troutdale for the weekend and want to ride. I just don't want to drive to ride because I drive so much during the week in Klickitat County. If I was in Hood River now I would be near a trail in 5 minutes. Nonetheless the area has some decent riding. The Scappoose trails are not bad and Forest Park is a good workout but a fairly boring ride.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks for all the help, especially the book titles!!

i'm looking forward to tearing it up........

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Kissing The Trail: North and Central Oregon by John Zilly http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781881583127-0 is the most up to date guidebook for the area (includes a writeup of the Scappoose trails and some newer stuff in Bend) and I prefer his style to the Falcon Guide writers. The Adventure Maps are useful and frequently updated so check the edition before buying.
    The only real legal singletrack in Portland is Fire Lane 5 in Forest Park and Powell Butte in deepest SE Portland. Hagg Lake is a mixed bag, some really nice sections and some horrible rutted blackberry infested sections, so you may be better off driving further down Hwy 6 to the Tillamook State Forest trails. I have not been there in a few years but the Annie's Cabin area near Molalla also has some good rides.
    I mostly end up riding in Forest Park to stay in shape and doing my heavy trail riding when I visit my in-laws in Bend.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.