Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Police, victim on lookout for road rage attacker

For those of you who didn't see it on www.bikeportland.org:

[SIZE="5"]Police, victim on lookout for road rage attacker[/SIZE]
    Posted by Jonathan Maus (Editor) on January 22nd, 2008 at 3:37 pm

[SIZE="3"]“…he jumped out of his truck and ran at me with a baseball bat.”[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]–Man who was attacked while riding his bike[/SIZE]

Yesterday afternoon, while riding their bike in Northwest Portland, a man was threatened with a baseball bat and punched in the face in front of shocked onlookers by an unidentified man driving a royal-blue Hummer H2.

The victim has now posted to Craigslist in an effort to find the attacker and bring him to justice. Here’s a snip from that post:

[SIZE="3"]“Your help is requested in information that helps locate/arrest/prosecute/neuter/vivisect the driver of a new/newer Hummer H2, royal blue, who assaulted a cyclist at 23rd and NW Pettygrove last night.

Yesterday afternoon (4:30ish) a cyclist was run off the street, assaulted, threatened with a softball bat and punched in the face by the driver of a brand-new royal blue Hummer H2. Police were notified by several calls from about a dozen shocked passers by. The driver took off. The truck had no plates.

If you see a new royal blue H2 with no plates and a 5′8″, balding man in his mid-late 30s driving it, that’d be him. Call it in as the driver that assaulted the cyclist at 23rd and Pettygrove last night.”
    [/SIZE]

From an email I received that was forwarded to me from a friend of the victim, the man riding the bike initially passed by the Hummer as it was stopped in the parking lane. “I spit and he thought I spit on his car,” is what the victim wrote. After that, he wrote,

[SIZE="3"]“…he followed me and tried to run me into parked cars… I right turned and evaded him but he caught me on 24th and tried to run me over. I went back down to 23rd where there were people and he jumped out of his truck ran at me with a baseball bat and shoved me over and punched me in the face when I got up. What a fruit loop.”[/SIZE]

If you have information regarding this assault, please contact the Portland police at 503-823-3333. Also, tell the call-taker that the information is related to incident number PP0801211346. That will help the call-taker link your information to the original call.

meatier showers
    Whoa. Can you say "Concealed Handgun License?"

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Known Mountainbiker
    Whoa!

As an everyday commuter, I understand why drivers "think" that we spit and or snot rocket on their cars. In the cold wet months, I have a constant mucoid flow. Since the mucus is there for a reason, i.e. to filter out "pollutents", I'm NOT going to swallow it. I expell it into the street into the "space" that I would hope that drivers are giving me for safety. If a driver is going to pull up next to me and express their dissatifaction with my riding, I must first expell the mouth full of mucus from my pie hole before I can say "What?" Unfortunatly, they are looking for a confrontation and seeing a bicyclist spit only gives them a reason to circle around, chase you down and hit you with a baseball bat.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Apparently, that driver feels like the DMV registration tax and the fuel tax of his obscenely inefficient Hummer single-handedly funds PDOT's roadway projects. I guess he didn't feel like others should be on "his" roads. Who can blame him, eh? <---sarcasm here.

Militant drivers can feel free to swing a baseball bat at me. I simply recommend they don't miss, 'cause I promise I'm not going to be happy about it!

mtbr member

Handgun

Where ya gonna conceal a handgun in Lycra? Not that it's not a good idea, I'm just say'n a 357 don't shrink up in cold weather that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Whoa. Can you say "Concealed Handgun License?"

--Sparty
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    Where ya gonna conceal a handgun in Lycra? Not that it's not a good idea, I'm just say'n a 357 don't shrink up in cold weather that's all.
    Being from the right coast originally, you rarely heard of such incidents

Here in TX it's almost easier to obtain a CCL than it is to get a fishing license. A friend and LBS owner I know here was run off the road twice. The second time the P/U driving toothless inbred fool actually backed up trying to run him over after running him into a ditch, then jumped out of his truck with a bat.

The shop owner now carries one of these in his jersey & at 12oz why not?
    Attached Images Attached Images

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    The shop owner now carries one of these in his jersey & at 12oz why not?
    That's a good gun. Very lightweight (aluminum frame version; also available in steel), no hammer to catch on clothing during concealed carry, 5 round cylinder plus it's actually fun to shoot. The gun I have is smaller and lighter but stings a bit when I fire it (Kel-tec 380).

Don't usually carry mine much when I ride, but then I don't ride much on the road. Good to have a handy weapon in the vehicle/on person when on remote, solo camping trips & such.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Do commuters wear lycra these days?

I think we've just discovered the hip new trend to be unveiled in two weeks at NAHBS. The newest urban bicycle accessory...the handlebar holster. I'm machining a mounting bracket for one of these over the weekend.

Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Making fat cool since '71
    Stupid with a bat or stupid with a gun? Hmmm...a better weapon doesn't make a better person. Just a thought.

Brock...

PS: yes, yes I do get the irony in that post.
    PPS: it can be (very) fun to think about it, but it's not as easy as you might think/hope it is. It's forever.
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Seriously one of my riding buddies has been known to carry his 357 when riding alone in the local woods where cougars are a real threat. I'm sure he'd not hesitate to brandish it in a road rage situation.

I want to point out that not all rednecks are jerks, a jerk is just as likely to drive a BMW as a pickup truck, true rednecks almost never drive Hummers. It all depends I suppose on whether you are in rural Oregon or San Fransico what your jerk will be driving.

That's a good gun. Very lightweight (aluminum frame version; also available in steel), no hammer to catch on clothing during concealed carry, 5 round cylinder plus it's actually fun to shoot. The gun I have is smaller and lighter but stings a bit when I fire it (Kel-tec 380).

Don't usually carry mine much when I ride, but then I don't ride much on the road. Good to have a handy weapon in the vehicle/on person when on remote, solo camping trips & such.

--Sparty
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Making fat cool since '71

Nobody...

Seriously one of my riding buddies has been known to carry his 357 when riding alone in the local woods where cougars are a real threat.
    ...is fast enough to get to their gun and use it before a cougar gets on them, but the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from carrying one is nice I suppose. Cats are stalkers and tend to jump on the backs of prey. They rarely stand in the middle of the trail, at high noon, and meow out some grissle-voiced cool statement about dy'in aint much of a livin'.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member

Chases cougar with bike

This same buddy of mine is riding his MTB down the trail one day and sees a cougar about fifty yards ahead just standing in the trail, so he takes off and chases the cougar down the hill. He musta chased the cougar a couple hundred yard right down the middle of the trail before the cougar dodges in to the bush, I swear he scared the poor cougar to death and we've not seen not seen that cougar since. Who needs a gun when you got Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    ...is fast enough to get to their gun and use it before a cougar gets on them, but the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from carrying one is nice I suppose. Cats are stalkers and tend to jump on the backs of prey. They rarely stand in the middle of the trail, at high noon, and meow out some grissle-voiced cool statement about dy'in aint much of a livin'.

Brock...
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member

Don't forget...

stupid with a bike. I seen some cyclist do stuff that even irritates my mellow minded self.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Stupid with a bat or stupid with a gun? Hmmm...a better weapon doesn't make a better person. Just a thought.

Brock...

PS: yes, yes I do get the irony in that post.
    PPS: it can be (very) fun to think about it, but it's not as easy as you might think/hope it is. It's forever.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    stupid with a bike. I seen some cyclist do stuff that even irritates my mellow minded self.
    True dat.

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    A discussion of handguns on a the singlespeed board speaks volumes about why I seldom ride on the road any more.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    A discussion of handguns on a the singlespeed board speaks volumes about why I seldom ride on the road any more.
    And here I thought this was the Oregon Forum, silly me!

Flaps

Dirt
    shooting snub nose pistols are not fun lol, got alot of kick because of short barrel, and why carry a gun when you ride, just carry a concealed knife, if you have any ability, you can screw them up before they get you.
    The trails are calling...
    http://www.pinkbike.com/

mtbr member

Scandium & Titanium

--Sparty
    His is the Scandium body with the Titanium cylinder. Plus he's got the Crimson Trace Laser Grip. Very impressive and intimidating IMO. Do you have a pic of your .380? How many rounds does it hold?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtMO*SHette
    shooting snub nose pistols are not fun lol, got alot of kick because of short barrel, and why carry a gun when you ride, just carry a concealed knife, if you have any ability, you can screw them up before they get you.
    I think the dude that came at him with the bat really got in his head. Plus this is TX, shoot first ask ?'s later.

Me? I'm a lover not a fighter. My wife on the other hand......

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Too bad the commuter didn't bounce his bike off the side of the H2 as it pulled away...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

It is a revolution

Us cyclist are being victimized by Hummers. When I lived in North Dakota a bodybuilder I knew a guy who got hassled by a couple guys in a truck on a road ride. This rider was a monster on roids Anyway, they stopped at a stop sign and they were hassling him; he got off his bike and said he open hand slapped the guy really hard through his window. He said the guy cried like a baby. He then said, "I have finished an engineering degree, got married, had a kid, and won an upper midwest bodybuilding championship, but I have never in my life had so much satisfaction from something I have done. The guy drove away and didn't say a word. We laughed like a bunch of jackals as he told the story. Anyone who drives a Hummer might have some issues with his manhood if you know what I mean...

Jaybo

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    His is the Scandium body with the Titanium cylinder. Plus he's got the Crimson Trace Laser Grip. Very impressive and intimidating IMO. ...
    You just described my roommate's gun exactly.

Here's my diminutive Kel-Tec .380:

This photo is nearly actual size. Okay I'm exaggerating but the gun is insanely small and light. For this reason it's not much fun to fire -- it stings a bit (recoil is substantial due to its light weight), the grip is too small for my large hand plus there's a long throw to the trigger since the gun has no safety (thankfully fires only in double-action mode). But I purposely chose a gun that was easy to conceal & carry for self-defense over a gun that was a joy to fire. The Kel-Tec is only .77" thick; its magazine holds 6 rounds.

In case you're interested, here's a brief Kel-Tec .380 review.
    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    Can I have one in Chris King ano red?
    Tuff Schist

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    0.77" thick? Yowch. My hand hurts just thinking about it.

Meat - Do you want all red, or a silver/red combo?

Singletrack Addict

Violence Breeds Violence

Quote Originally Posted by DirtMO*SHette
    This thread sure has taken an ominous turn.
    Big difference from self defending and 2nd Ammendment rights to mayhem on the streets over petty squables.

Ever shot someone or seen a gunshot victim? How about a bludgeoning blow from a baseball bat? What about a knife wound? Most people don't have the stomach for it. Those that do, get a taste for it.

meatier showers

True that

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Muesl
    Big difference from self defending and 2nd Ammendment rights to mayhem on the streets over petty squables.
    Hey Snake, got an excuse for not being seen at ACM IV last weekend? In order to be excused, we need a signed note from your mommy.

--Sparty

P.S. No weapons were brandished at The Meat.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast