mtbr member

Planning a Summer road trip.... little help?

Im getting a little sick of the dirty south so im planning a month and a half long west coast mtb road trip for this spring\summer. I'll be heading down I40 with New Mexico first on the list. I lived there for 6 years so I have it and Colorado pretty nailed down. After that is where I need your help. My girl and I want to make it to (give or take) Utah, Cali, Oregon (her home state), Washington, Idaho and Wyoming. The rough idea is that we will spend 5ish days in each state. Of course plans will change and areas will be skipped, but if I/we could get the must hits, I would be sooooo thrilled. I just checked out Colorado's thread on MTBR and someone posted a top 10 for the state. If I could get your top 5 or just your favorite ride it would get me going in the right direction. Both Meesh and I race and are accustomed to the nasty technical trails of Western North Carolina, Eastern Tenn and North Georgia so don't hold back when recommending trails. I dont know what she's has in mind, but for me Ive always drooled over red wood rides in Cali and sun drenched sandy singletrack around orange hoodoos in Utah and dense mossy climbs that go on for hours in Oregon and ridgeline-pinetreed singletrack in Washington State and high altitude long hauls in Wyoming....... if you know where these are please let me know. I will also be reading the reviews posted on this site and others like it and any books I can get my hands on but if you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Peace
    Jordan Rice

Jordanrice2@aol.com

If you do end up posting........ Thank you!

mtbr member
    Nope, nothing in Oregon that's any fun. Move along now.

Seriously though, check into threads by Sasquatch for some dynamite photo representations.

Some of my favorite rides are;
    Early season; Tire Mtn, Middle Fork, Hardesty/Lawler/Lost Cr/Sawtooth, Crawfish.
    Late season. after the mosquitoes have died off: Maiden Peak, Waldo Lake, Fuji Mtn, the Twins, Olallie

There are too many to make a true top ten list, it changes depending on what I haven't ridden yet in a given year.

Flaps

What day are we riding?
    I'll add the NUT and MRT. Surveyors Ridge - Knebal Springs area. Round/Lookout Mountains. There are more...

Singletrack Addict
    Most of above mentioned would be on my top ten. Here's a few others, more outta Portland, so includes some SW Washington:
    The other Lookout Mountain and 15-Mile Creek (consider part of Knebal-Surveyors area), Falls Creek, Ape Canyon-Plains of Abraham-Smith Creek.

Of course snow pack levels could prohibit access depending on time of year. This year's snow pack is shaping up to be a good one, at least from the standpoint of winter recreation, drought prospects and fire danger, if not alpine cycling.

mtbr member
    Thanks Flaps... whats "early \ late" season

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudflaps
    Nope, nothing in Oregon that's any fun. Move along now.

Seriously though, check into threads by Sasquatch for some dynamite photo representations.

Some of my favorite rides are;
    Early season; Tire Mtn, Middle Fork, Hardesty/Lawler/Lost Cr/Sawtooth, Crawfish.
    Late season. after the mosquitoes have died off: Maiden Peak, Waldo Lake, Fuji Mtn, the Twins, Olallie

There are too many to make a true top ten list, it changes depending on what I haven't ridden yet in a given year.

Flaps
    You forgot Bunchgrass. King Castle/Castle Rock, Cowhorn/Sawtooth mtn Loop, Alpine...etc etc

Best riding is late season (late Aug-Sept) and then throw on a light and catch a sunset on top of a mountain and you'll know why we say we have the best backyard. Mmmm, how I can't wait for some high mountain riding and clean lake dipping. It's hard to pick a top ten when there's literally hundreds and hundreds of miles of singletrack. Really.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    I'm originally from the south also and then lived in NorCal. Believe me, this area has got to be the best in the US.
    Surveyor's Ridge
    Wilson River Trail
    Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham
    Phil's Trail System (Bend)
    3 Corner Rock
    Larch Mountain
    ETC, ETC, ETC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    You forgot Bunchgrass. King Castle/Castle Rock, Cowhorn/Sawtooth mtn Loop, Alpine...etc etc

Best riding is late season (late Aug-Sept) and then throw on a light and catch a sunset on top of a mountain and you'll know why we say we have the best backyard. Mmmm, how I can't wait for some high mountain riding and clean lake dipping. It's hard to pick a top ten when there's literally hundreds and hundreds of miles of singletrack. Really.

Caz
    I didn't forget them, just don't want to overdose the fella.
    M'mmmm, singletrack!

Flaps

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by spreadlight
    Thanks Flaps... whats "early \ late" season
    Mid-late August is the usual split.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Metalheadbikerider

I'd simply add...

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen
    I'm originally from the south also and then lived in NorCal. Believe me, this area has got to be the best in the US.
    Surveyor's Ridge
    Wilson River Trail
    Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham
    Phil's Trail System (Bend)
    3 Corner Rock
    Larch Mountain
    ETC, ETC, ETC
    Gales Creek to Brown's Camp Loop, one of my faves near Portland....
    Surveyor's Ridge epic is a great, must do loop.
    Last edited by free-agent; 01-19-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: mistake
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org