mtbr member

Pivot Dealers in Oregon

I am looking to picking up a Pivot bike, but not familiar with any of the listed dealers/shops from the Pivot site.

If you know of any of these, your suggestions and impressions are greatly appreciated.

CyclePath in Portland
    Discover Bicycles in Hood River
    Sagebrush Cycles in Bend

Universal cycles was also listed, but I did not see Pivot on their site.

Much obliged folks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Cyclepath guys were cool to work with when I bought my sons Titus frame there a few years ago. They gave a pretty good discount on some of the parts to build it up with too (fork, crankset, tires, etc).

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Lots of people love Cyclepath and swear by them. I found them to be condescending and not very helpful. I paid more for my bike rather than buy it from them. Worst bike shop experience I have had in 25 years of riding.

I like Discover. Good shop and nice folks.

mtbr member
    So far, many thanks for responses!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Cyclepath will have the most in stock. It's a slightly polarizing shop. If you have a good experience, it will probably be so good that you'll be a lifetime customer. If not, it will probably be bad enough to make you buy a different brand. Personally, I like the guys. Disco and universal ard great shops, but won't have much stock for pivots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have had pretty good luck with Universal. Not sure of their stock, but they can probably order something for you if you need it.

I personally don't shop at Discover if I can help it. I tried to get them to order a bike for me last year (not much work, easy cash in their pocket) and the owner (Kurt) was a total dick to me. The people that work there are cool, just the owner is condescending and not very helpful.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I test rode a couple of Pivots from Sagebrush this year, nice folks, seemed very knowledgable give em a call, as they have a sign out front stating they are selling off their demo fleet right now, don't know if that includes the Pivots but I would guess it does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For the past 2 years, I have been biking in Oregon for about 2 weeks during the summer months. Both years I have had problems with my bike so I have gone to Cyclepath. I told them I was from out of town so they fixed my bike right away and they were very cool about it. If I lived in Portland I would go to Cyclepath.

mtbr member
    Again thanks for all the impressions of shops selling Pivot.

Since the inception of my thread/question, I have gone full circle; choosing a different brand and in the end of purchase, receipt, still no functional bike, (tho I received the bike 3 months ago) and may still do a charge-back. Ugly, sloppy affair. This did not involve an Oregon shop.

Now I am back in the market for a carbon 5.7 frame +/- full kit.

Again I appreciate greatly all of you that have info re shop/source now the carbon has crested.
    Universalcycles doesn't have in stock, but will see if they can still order.

My initial kit/bike source from previous lemon purchase is trying to stick me w all components. But they have depreciated quite a bit, and my choices can change regarding budget.

Again, thanks very much for your time. GS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post

Since the inception of my thread/question, I have gone full circle; choosing a different brand and in the end of purchase, receipt, still no functional bike, (tho I received the bike 3 months ago) and may still do a charge-back. Ugly, sloppy affair. This did not involve an Oregon shop.

Again I appreciate greatly all of you that have info re shop/source now the carbon has crested.

My initial kit/bike source from previous lemon purchase is trying to stick me w all components. But they have depreciated quite a bit, and my choices can change regarding budget.

Universal doesn't carry Pivot anymore. As for the Portland shops, Fat Tire Farm (Fat Tire Farm, Portland, Oregon. The bike shop with the Northwest’s best selection of mountain bikes) is now carrying Pivots. That's who I'm working with for my 5.7 Carbon and I couldn't be happier with the experience. Great owner, great employees, lot's of knowledge without the pretension.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm a fan of fat tire. They know mountain bikes and seem to be up to date on the latest. I just received a custom high end wheel set and was blown away that they got every little detail correct.

Great shop!

mtbr member
    Just the kind of news I need to hear- thank you!!

JMW503- tried to give you pos rep, but forum says I can't give it to you twice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalmon View Post

FWIW, If I lived in PDX/NW region, I would buy my Pivot from Cyclepath as they have most Pivots in stock, including Mach 5.7 carbon that looks and feels pretty darn sweet in person and in your hands and is nice cause you can really check out the frame for yourself and they may have a build for you ready to ride/test out for general sizing and feel as well. I have found the guys at CP to be pretty awesome in that they've got the goods in shop to check out, don't sweat ya much while your browsing, but are very helpful when needed and will go the extra mile to get you the build your after and dial it in for you. I had a fantastic experience when I bought my last frame (Yeti) from them a few months ago that I raved about on here as well

If living in Bend/Central OR region, would buy from Sagebrush since I had a great experience with them too, when I bought a complete bike from them a couple years back. Even drove down from Portland for a particular bike they had on closeout and they took good care of me on the spot with part swapout (fork, stem, bars, guard) before heading back home.

If I were you, I would go with the shop that is closest to you as has the particular frame/size in shop that you are after so you can check it out in person. If not in stock, then go with the shop that can get it the soonest and go from there.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Fat Tire and Cyclepath are two very different shops. Cyclepath carries road, cycle cross, fixies, and MTB's. Fat Tire is MTB only (though, a number of the shop guys race cycle cross). The vibe in each shop is different, so you really need to got to both and figure out which works for you. Personally, I like both shops and am happy to do business at either.

As for 5.7C stock, Cyclepath had two 5.7C frames as of 4 weeks ago, but one was being built for someone, so I don't know what they currently have. Fat Tire got my frame in zippy quick and has another Large on order. I don't know Cyclepath's plan for the amount of stock they'll carry moving forward or if they're gonna do completes. Fat Tire, though, is planning on selling completes as well as frames for custom builds (I went the custom route). Pivot is trying to catch up on their order backlog, so it may be tough for you to find any shop in Oregon that has a complete for you to throw a leg over.

Regarding Sagebrush, I've had so-so experiences there. IMO Cyclepath and Fat Tire are *much* more customer friendly and are just much more fun to hang out at. Not trying to dis Sagebrush, just saying the shop doesn't work for me.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Bill and the guys at Cyclepath are great and give good information. I have bought a bike there and it was a good experience. It isn't like you are going to a heart doctor or something. Biking isn't all that complex. No graduate degree in biking needed Go see them and see what you think...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I got a couple bikes at Cyclepath. They are good but I see what people mean about the attitude and weird vibe in the shop. It is hit or miss there all the time. I now prefer to just buy the damn frame direct from the company and build the bike myself with the parts I want. It is good to learn how to do it anyway so you can save later on service/upkeep.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    +1 for Cyclepath.

I'm a long-time lurker here and this thread inspired me to make my first post.

I bought a demo Pivot Mach 4 from them a couple seasons ago, and they've provided excellent service so far. I had problems with the rear shock and had sent it in to Fox, but since it was out of warranty, Fox wouldn't give me the time of day. I brought it in to Cody at Cyclepath a month ago, and a couple weeks later got the "your bike is ready call". For the price of shipping, I had a new 2012 shock installed on my bike!! This is one in a series of many good experieces with the shop, which continues to improve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I like both shops, but have to give my +1 to FFF. Park was very helpful and open with pricing and negotiating with me. I didn't end up buying from them this last time, but did buy my previous bike from them.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    I've been giving rep (when allowed) & thanks for the recommendations of shops. Often it is the little things that a business does that shows where their heart is. A mere sales transaction- yes, but it is also a relationship from beginning and hopefully a good one in extension.

In acquiring a frame, it is a no-loss in letting them know your kit. That's an equal sized chunk of business for them to also consider, whether they wrench it or not. At this possible, combined amount you become a potentially bigger, and lucrative customer. I normally have or buy parts separately, and lace my own wheels (which I have in this case, for one set). The remainder consists a lot of 2012 spec- purely a treat for me (though some nice performing components are to be had this year in particular). It's a science in only the economical v supporting small business + feasibility. Part of the process is what I am doing here: utilizing the forum as a source of information and review, that's simple.

Appreciation is thick when people are willing to lend their time in recommendation, experience and source. Hat's off to all of you!

mtbr member
    I have to give props to FFF. They have always treated me well and have never talked down to me. I took my old Turner into FFF after a ride one day with a shifting issues and they threw it right up on a stand and found a hairline crack in my derailleur hanger. They could have made me wait or book a time and come back but instead they hoisted it right up. 10 minutes of work by the mechanic at no cost to me. That time adds up to real money but in the end I will go back and am now recommending them. Customer service goes a long way.

mtbr member
    by Hangtime - "Customer service goes a long way. "

A big AMEN to that. These anecdotes are so tale telling. When it really comes down to it, they say much about the integrity, inner ethics, spirit of a shop.

mtbr member
    Hey Grandsalmon - I hear you were on the phone at Fat Tire when I was picking up my 5.7c. Send me a private message if you want details on my experience with Fat Tire (it was fantastic) and/or if you want to check out my final build. Way easier to make decisions when you can see the actual bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks, will do...

My email, for some reason, started drifting MTBR replies over to me spam folder; where I found yours, today.

I am glad to hear of your experience, and Barry took a couple of photos of that very special bike, sent them to me- congratulations on treating yourself right! Yea, I'll PM you later on cuz that is a great config you have going on. Thanks for the invite!