mtbr member

Phil’s Trailhead Trail Closures Update

The current trail closure in the Phil’s Trail area will be continuing until October, although hopefully ending sooner if possible. This is due to restoration work, including thinning and mowing. As work is completed and areas are safe to enter the closure will be reduced in size.

Trail closures will be Monday through Friday 4am to 5pm. Trails will be open on Saturday and Sunday only.

Click for interactive map of closure area: West Bend Public Information Map.

Trail closures include: COD between trail marker 21 and 20 and Grand Slam between trail market 27 and 15. Within the closed area, roads are off-limits to vehicles 7 days a week and open to bikes Saturday and Sunday only.

Please respect the closure - The risk of injury is high due to operators using large equipment cutting and moving trees. Mastication, or chewing up of debris can be hurled over 500 feet from the equipment. Machines are loud and operators do not hear when bike riders are nearby.

**The Deschutes National Forest will be increasing their patrols in the closed area and will be enforcing the closure by ticketing individuals.**

Where to ride.
    Most locations can be found on the Bend trail maps. We recommend talking to a local bike shop or Cog Wild Bicycle Tours/Shuttles for more details on individual trails.

Early Season (Now-May 15th)
    **Ride East of Bend! Still riding good after May 15th
    Horse Butte**
    Horse Ridge**
    Cline Butte**
    Maston**
    Peterson Ridge in Sisters
    Radlands in Redmond
    Lower 66 in Prineville
    Grey Butte/Scull Hollow in Smith Rock

Mid-Season (May 15-August 15)
    Wanoga area trails
    Swampy area trails
    Skyliner area trails
    Mt Bachelor Bike Park - not yet open
    Cog Wild trailhead shuttle (cogwild.com) – ride from Wanoga or Swampy shuttle back to town on open trails
    Mrazek Trail through Tumalo Falls and/or Shevlin Park
    Newberry Crater and Swamp Wells Trails (late June opening)
    Ochocos area trails (late June opening)

Late Season (August 15-snow season)
    Everything listed in Mid-Season plus:
    Flagline to Swampy area
    High Lakes area

Why are the trails closed?
    A combination of factors— A history of unsustainable forest management practices including over-logging and fire suppression has created unnatural forest conditions: overly dense forests, full of young trees...fewer of the older, larger fire-tolerant species…overgrown, shrubby understory.

In its current condition, this area also presents a serious wildfire threat to the City of Bend.

Restoration of 26,000 acres of our forest directly west of Bend is happening now. This includes the Phil’s Trail system, parts of the Deschutes River Trail system, the Virginia Meissner ski area, and more.

Learn more at The West Bend Project | Forest Restoration in Bend Oregon Deschutes Collaborative Forest Project.
    Last edited by DCFP; 06-07-2016 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Changing trail closures as the FS opens more trail!
    Deschutes Collaborative Forest Project (DCFP)
    Experts working to restore our forest.
    http://deschutescollaborativeforest.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    What happened to the 4 AM - 5 PM, Monday - Friday closure that has been previously posted? The above posting states the trails are closed midnight - midnight. This is different from all previous information and postings. The inconsistency is confusing to all users, especially those trying to respect the closure and follow the "law."

mtbr member
    TominBend- Thanks for the post - Good Question!

Yes, the time above is different. It was changed in agreement with the local forest service, COTA and the DCFP. Crews have been working as early as 3am and working until sunset to try to get the thinning done so trails can be reopened as soon as possible. For the safety of riders the closure was changed.
    Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Considering this is a safety issue, will there be more signs to indicate closed areas? The closed signs are obvious at main trail access points but not so much in other areas, e.g. junction of Voodoo and Phil's, Y at Phil's and Kent's. It's even worse at other places like where you catch COD near Tetharow--last time I was there all I saw was a couple strips of orange tape in the dirt without a sign. And to my knowledge the tape has been on the ground since November.

Let's get serious about this and post more signs. It'd be awful for someone to get injured (or worse) because they accidentally rode into a work site.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tominbend View Post
    What happened to the 4 AM - 5 PM, Monday - Friday closure that has been previously posted? The above posting states the trails are closed midnight - midnight. This is different from all previous information and postings. The inconsistency is confusing to all users, especially those trying to respect the closure and follow the "law."
    Hi there! Got everything fixed!
    Yes, the times have changed and we are just starting to spread the word, hence this post.
    The 4am-5pm worked during the winter, but now that the days are longer the thinning crews are working longer days to try and get the work done as soon as possible so trails can be opened as soon as possible. Hope this makes sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    Considering this is a safety issue, will there be more signs to indicate closed areas? The closed signs are obvious at main trail access points but not so much in other areas, e.g. junction of Voodoo and Phil's, Y at Phil's and Kent's. It's even worse at other places like where you catch COD near Tetharow--last time I was there all I saw was a couple strips of orange tape in the dirt without a sign. And to my knowledge the tape has been on the ground since November.

Let's get serious about this and post more signs. It'd be awful for someone to get injured (or worse) because they accidentally rode into a work site.
    Yep, more signs will be happening. We are hoping to get them up as soon as possible. They will be at every entrance to the closed area. We are also hoping to reach riders prior to them getting to Phil's with posts like this and more education through bike shops, etc. It would be great if now educated folks like yourself posted this info on your facebook page - help spread the word!

mtbr member
    The existing post on Bendtrails.org was edited.

http://bendtrails.org/phils-area-trail-closure/

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Regarding the interactive map, are the trails that border the red area closed as well? Kent's, for example.

mtbr member
    How much of Phil's is included in this closure? If your'e coming down from whoops, you'd need to hit some of Phils to get on to Kents correct? Or will Bens go back to 2-way for the duration of the work?

What about from rd 300 crossing up to helipad?

Sorry if this is posted someplace else, I may have missed it.
    Why do you talk to me this way. When you know that I will kill you for this?

mtbr member
    If you go to the link in the original post there is a nice interactive map that shows exactly what is closed. Trails highlighted in red and shaded areas in red are closed. Look closely and you can see Phil's is closed below the junction with Kent's, above that it is open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josefek View Post
    Regarding the interactive map, are the trails that border the red area closed as well? Kent's, for example.
    Josefek,
    Kent's and Ben's Trail are open - these are the only trails you can access from Phil's Trailhead during the closure. Ben's is still one way until 300 rd. Storm King on the west end of the closure is/will be open as well.

Since almost everything is closed from the Phil's Trailhead, this is why we came up with the list of other riding areas to check out this summer. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
    How much of Phil's is included in this closure? If your'e coming down from whoops, you'd need to hit some of Phils to get on to Kents correct? Or will Bens go back to 2-way for the duration of the work?

What about from rd 300 crossing up to helipad?

Sorry if this is posted someplace else, I may have missed it.
    Ryebread,
    Phil's Trail west of 300 rd is open. Which means Helipad is open too. Good question since Kent's changes names once is crosses 300 rd to the west to Phil's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I totally "get" that they are trying to get the work done ASAP, but really... if they are taking the weekends off can't we at least have Friday evening? Those of us that live in Bend, would love to be able to enjoy our trails on one weeknight without the weekend crowds of Saturday and Sunday. After 5pm seemed like a reasonable option....
    Sad I must put my bike on a car to ride =(

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Map is down. Closure area is not shown. FYI.

Edit: Back up!
    Last edited by Nskinner; 04-15-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Freeride Recumbent
    Now for some good news: Starting today (Friday 4/15) at 5:00, Marvin’s Garden (and the Lair) will be open for the summer. http://bendtrails.org/trail/marvins-gardens/

Mountain Biking in Central Oregon » BendTrails.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

updates

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Haole View Post
    Now for some good news: Starting today (Friday 4/15) at 5:00, Marvin’s Garden (and the Lair) will be open for the summer. http://bendtrails.org/trail/marvins-gardens/
    Any idea when the interactive map will be updated to reflect this? Also, am I losing my mind or did the map used to have the trail names on it and now they're gone?

Freeride Recumbent
    Quote Originally Posted by josefek View Post
    Any idea when the interactive map will be updated to reflect this? Also, am I losing my mind or did the map used to have the trail names on it and now they're gone?
    Not sure about the interactive map. It's always been hard to use with no trail names. Here's the most recent static map of the closure: http://bendtrails.org/phils-area-trail-closure/

Mountain Biking in Central Oregon » BendTrails.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    based on the map ODP is now open? kinda strange

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    $#^$%&$%^*!!!! What percentage of the Phils system is this? I am coming to Bend in middle June for a week with the family to relax and to mountain bike and we are staying near the Skyliner SnoPark. Should have gone to Tahoe, we were worried about El Nino.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
    $#^$%&$%^*!!!! What percentage of the Phils system is this? I am coming to Bend in middle June for a week with the family to relax and to mountain bike and we are staying near the Skyliner SnoPark. Should have gone to Tahoe, we were worried about El Nino.
    It's a very small percentage that's closed. In fact, if you'll be here in June there will be plenty of other riding options open at higher elevations so you can easily plan around the weekday closures.

mtbr member
    Tahoe? Yeah that would have been better.

That said - in June expect that some medium high elevation trails to be open. If staying near skyliners - you MIGHT be able to head up north fork and down farewell. might be early for that one.

Or up tumalo ridge and down Southfork. I've done that in early june.

bens, skyliner mrazek loop? Done that early june as well.

Tunalo, sector 16, skyliners loop.

All will depend on how fast trails are cleared of deadfall.

You can ride down skyliners to whoops/stormking/helipad/upper whoops.

You can head to wanoga and that should all be open as well.

easily a week worth of good riding.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Don't worry, the area that's closed is not the best riding in June anyway (think hot, dusty). From Skyliner SnoPark you can access a LOT of trail that's nicer than the lower triangle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the responses. I was looking forward to riding from the door. We're there June 15-23. I'll need to do more research on the trails before I get there.

Nat
    mtbr member
    You will be able to ride from your door. By mid-June I'll often drive up to Skyliner TH to start my ride, bypassing all that hot, dusty, boring, flat stuff within the closure.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone. Just wanted to let you know that we are updating the original post with updated information when we get if from the Forest Service. Stoked that the original closure has gotten much smaller!
    Has anyone ridden out in the thinned areas? Can't wait for a year or so when it looks beautiful once all cleaned up. Being able to see the contours of the land and see farther than a wall of trees is pretty awesome!

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    It appears that there is work taking place outside of the "officially closed" area. We were riding today and heard work in the area West of ELV/North of Grand Slam/South of Phil's. No closure signs, so I'm guessing the work isn't close enough to the open trails?

Personally, I don't care for the new 'open' look. IMO they took down far too many trees. Shade in those areas is now sparse, so hot days feel even hotter. The only plus in my books (besides less fuel for forest fires) is being able to see other riders approaching. Makes two-way trails safer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
    No closure signs, so I'm guessing the work isn't close enough to the open trails?

Personally, I don't care for the new 'open' look.
    I dont work for the FS, but I believe the ongoing work in the Phil's triangle no longer involves tree falling or chipping. For the most part it seems like they are putting together slash piles and stacking logs for transport (none of these activites are dangerous to cyclists assuming you look both ways while crossing FS roads).

As far as the new look. I recommend riding the stretch of KGB that had a controlled burn go through several years ago. About a mile back towards the chicken from the steep punchy section. This area was mowed then burned. Today? It looks fantastic. The chips mixed with the soil and the grasses/ shrubs are thriving. In fact, tons of wild flowers are blooming now. I'd imagine the rest of the Phils area will look this great in a year or two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
    Personally, I don't care for the new 'open' look. IMO they took down far too many trees. Shade in those areas is now sparse, so hot days feel even hotter. The only plus in my books (besides less fuel for forest fires) is being able to see other riders approaching. Makes two-way trails safer.
    The area that I really dislike is along lower GS, in the rocks. Looks like they clearcut some of that area. Also, I do wonder if the work will make for even more sandy and loose trails, especially COD.

But, for the most part, I think the thinning will be good for the forest.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Swampy closes just as Flagline opens? ...because that'd be excellent.

Deschutes National Forest - News & Events

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Swampy closes just as Flagline opens? ...because that'd be excellent.

Deschutes National Forest - News & Events
    it's only the bottom of the swampy loops, so just don't go out at swampy and you will be good. Also bottom of swampy dutchman is closed.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Okay, good. I often start at Swampy but I can begin elsewhere for a few weeks.

mtbr member
    here's an image of closure.

-swampy.jpg