Singletrack Addict
    May 2009

People shooting near Phil's trail?

I had an interesting experience riding Phil's last Friday. My 9 year old son and I were riding up Phil's. We were a mile or so past the fire chicken and starting hearing gunfire that sounded really close by. As we kept going, it appeared the gunshots where coming from just over the ridge to our right. They sounded REALLY close and at one point we thought we heard a bullet cracking off some branches. Now, that may just have been a hyper squirrel but it was spooky enough that ducked behind trees. I hollered "Hey!" to try and get the shooters' attention but the firing continued so we turned around and rode back down.

So, the question is, is it common to have folks firing guns in the middle of the Phil's network? Has anyone else experienced this?

-Jim

mtbr member
    "firing guns" ........ probably more like target practicing

Singletrack Addict
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cascaderider9
    "firing guns" ........ probably more like target practicing
    Fair enough... I assumed they weren't actually firing at us. Still, it was unsettling. I wondered if they knew they were in such a crowded area

Keep Singletrack Single
    I have heard this before as well. I also heard it on the fireroad up to Mrazek (coming up from Skyliner Road)... Very unsettling indeed...

Is this legal???
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A couple of years ago, I was out on a Saturday morning. I had climbed up through the canyon and as I crossed the road at the top, I looked over to see a dude in camo carrying a rifle of some sort. He just kinda gave me a head nod, and I gave him a slow nod back like....wtf are you doing?

I hear gun shots out there on Sat and Sun morning this time of year almost every year. Had always wondered the same thing....

Keep Singletrack Single
    Is hunting allowed in the areas near the trails???

mtbr member
    I've seen people out there sighting their guns and firing near where Ben's crosses the first road. I asked them, "You do know you're shooting really close to a bike trail, don't you?" Clueless. We've also seen people shooting on the road between lower Whoops and Phil's.

Keep Singletrack Single
    They should post signs at the entrance of every forest road. "NO SHOOTING!!" It is only a matter of time before an accident occurs. NOT GOOD!!

VP/ Terrain Designer
    This needs to stop before someone gets shot. Its way to crowded out there for that kind of activity.
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

Nat
    Solo contendre
    There's a pit out at the end of the dirt road where shooters have gone for years. Nothing new to me. I've only been hit once...

mtbr member
    "Nothing new to me. I've only been hit once..."

Was it a head shot, if so that explains a lot.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by jollybeggar
    "Nothing new to me. I've only been hit once..."

Was it a head shot, if so that explains a lot.
    That wasn't very nice.

mtbr member
    Just kidding?
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Muy Borracho

Shooting at Phils

I can't say wether or not it's legal but I have seen people road hunting in the late fall as well as target shooting. I saw a whole pack of dudes shooting just below Lower Whoops in April or May. It was a bit sketchy for sure especially since they were all powering some beers and not real thrilled by the sight of a dude on a bike wearing lycra....

My guess is that it's national forest and last I checked it's not illegal to shoot on FS land. Target shooting shouldn't be a big deal if done safely/properly. The hunters sketch me out a bit. I've thought about wearing an orange vest especially during hunting season which I think is in early November.

Mal Ad Osteo
    Firearms: Firing a gun is not allowed: a) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area b) Across or on a road or body of water c) In any circumstance whereby a person may be injured or property damaged.
    I don't know the trail well enough, but if it is FS land, then its probably legal. Someone mentioned a pit, ie a backstop into which they are firing, if that's true then I wouldn't worry too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3
    Is hunting allowed in the areas near the trails???
    Yes it is. Not that I agree with it, but is allowed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Wink

If its BLM or USFS than it is legal. While it is disconcerting It probably sounded closer than it was in reality.

I grew up in the Central Oregon area and going out and shooting the guns was a favorite activity for a lot of my friends....guess some things don't change.