mtbr member

To the people that ignored the CLOSED sign and rode the Phil's slalom track...

I hope karma kicks you in the balls and steals your bike.
    Why do you talk to me this way. When you know that I will kill you for this?

mtbr member
    well put.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryebread View Post
    I hope karma kicks you in the balls and steals your bike.
    As trail stewards we have very high standards for our trails. As the steward for Phil's Trail from the trailhead to Kent's, I get very upset when I see ruts and other trail damage. Even worse is when folks undo my trail work by removing obstacles and other features.

There will always be folks who flaunt the rules or guidelines. I agree with your sentiment, but would recommend caution in your choice of language. We need to set a high standard and remain above the fray. The best course of action is for us to educate trail users. We do that through posts on this forum, trail work days, and posts on social sites like Facebook and Twitter.

Let's all continue to remind folks about the unique conditions we have in Central Oregon with our soil and freeze/thaw cycles.

Cheers!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, the same shithead or some close relatives have been doing the same to Post Canyon & Whoopdee over the past several weeks.

I understand the desire to ride a great trail but it doesn't take much effort to get off your bike & walk around the short stretches that are too wet to ride at this point in the season.

So f#*ing start doing it! Everybody! Now!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post
    I understand the desire to ride a great trail but it doesn't take much effort to get off your bike & walk around the short stretches that are too wet to ride at this point in the season.
    IMO this seems worse than just riding through the wet spot. Wouldn't walking around it make a big wide spot in the trail? I have seen this on Siouxon Creek Trail which has some spots where the trail is 8 feet wide around the puddles.

mtbr member
    I personally don't think walking around mud for the short time of the season when mud is present causes lasting wide areas in the trail. Riding around does however. You might be seeing wider areas from people who ride around the mud.

ronbo613
    IMO this seems worse than just riding through the wet spot.
    We already know your view on this and you're not alone

Attachment 784800

When some people come to ride, especially if they've driven an hour or so to get here, they are going to ride, no matter what any sign says or what condition the trail is in.

Keep Singletrack Single

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    We already know your view on this and you're not alone

Attachment 784800

When some people come to ride, especially if they've driven an hour or so to get here, they are going to ride, no matter what any sign says or what condition the trail is in.
    Well said. Walking or riding around is not the answer. Turning around is!! Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    I personally don't think walking around mud for the short time of the season when mud is present causes lasting wide areas in the trail. Riding around does however. You might be seeing wider areas from people who ride around the mud.
    I simply do not agree. Feet with a two hundred lb. plus body are every bit as damaging as wheels.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Please take this as a friendly suggestion rather than a rant or any suggestion that you shouldn't be upset about ignoring trail signs.

Not that everyone reads this website, but it would be helpful if the locals posted more frequently on what is good/bad at the moment. It is not lost on me that the "trail conditions" threads are most heavily posted by us Portlanders who have to read the internet tea leaves to try to best figure out where to ride on our off days while the complaining threads about trail damage are most heavily posted by the locals. It certainly won't fix all issues, but some more active posting on the conditions threads by the locals would be most appreciated by us city dwellers.

Keep Singletrack Single

Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Please take this as a friendly suggestion rather than a rant or any suggestion that you shouldn't be upset about ignoring trail signs.

Not that everyone reads this website, but it would be helpful if the locals posted more frequently on what is good/bad at the moment. It is not lost on me that the "trail conditions" threads are most heavily posted by us Portlanders who have to read the internet tea leaves to try to best figure out where to ride on our off days while the complaining threads about trail damage are most heavily posted by the locals. It certainly won't fix all issues, but some more active posting on the conditions threads by the locals would be most appreciated by us city dwellers.
    Good one. Agreed 100%. Will post on Phil's conditions. Cheers

Keep Singletrack Single

Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I simply do not agree. Feet with a two hundred lb. plus body are every bit as damaging as wheels.
    Right on. +1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It seems to me that a lot of people don't understand what the actual affects are of riding in muddy conditions, and therefore don't think it's important to avoid the muddy trails. Especially people over in the valley regarding trails on the east side. Maybe better communication of why it's a problem and what the results are will help.

I'm often guilty of not abiding by a rule or norm unless i understand and approve of its intent.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgedon View Post
    For what it's worth, the same shithead or some close relatives have been doing the same to Post Canyon & Whoopdee over the past several weeks.

So f#*ing start doing it! Everybody! Now!
    I think some folks see mud as just a fun trail feature. I've gone on runs up at Post Canyon and ended up getting off the trails and hitting the road because the trails were too muddy even for sneakers. Didn't stop rider after rider from chewing the hell out of soaking wet trails. I was amazed.

Anwyay, hope it is dry up there today -- going for a little lunch time ride (Seven Streams/8 Track/The Boot/Twin Peaks).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ketchum, Idaho. Most responsible community of trail users anywhere. When it's wet/muddy, word gets around, and you just don't see ANYONE riding.

Not sure exactly how they pull this off.................
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Ketchum, Idaho. Most responsible community of trail users anywhere. When it's wet/muddy, word gets around, and you just don't see ANYONE riding.

Not sure exactly how they pull this off.................
    They don't have a poulation center of 2 million people.

MTBers are like any other user group, you always have a minority that think they can do whatever they wish. The key to the remainder of riders with a conscience is education.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Yes, you are probably right that walking around causes problems, as most people probably walk just on the edge of the mud. The key to walking around is to go WELL off trail, walk past the mud section and then back on trail. Carry your bike.

You have to use some judgement when you ride. Not EVERY case of a little mud requires a turn around.

Case in point - That section of mud on horse butte loop is at the very end of a 10 mile ride, so I rode through it the first time, and took a detour the next time (once i found the detour). I posted the detour on this forum. Other's I know walked around it.

Should I have turned around? I think that's unreasonable. But some of you may say yes.

I do trail work consistently for COTA, and was just repairing ruts last weekend and will be doing more tomorrow, so believe me I know the effects of riding in mud.

Have many of us made a rut every now and then? Probably yes. Do i repair more ruts than I create? Absolutely.

Use good judgement. Be reasonable.

Joe

200 pounder

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post

I think we all try to keep people up to date, but I also don't want to overload an OREGON forum with every bend trail report...

COTAMTB.com has a list of all trails and their status, but I don't know how often it is updated. It's definitely not something that is going to help you on a specific day.

I find twitter to be the most helpful. Or facebook groups. In bend we use the hashtag #bendtrails to report how trails are looking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchbook View Post
    Yes, you are probably right that walking around causes problems, as most people probably walk just on the edge of the mud. The key to walking around is to go WELL off trail, walk past the mud section and then back on trail. Carry your bike.

You have to use some judgement when you ride. Not EVERY case of a little mud requires a turn around.

Case in point - That section of mud on horse butte loop is at the very end of a 10 mile ride, so I rode through it the first time, and took a detour the next time (once i found the detour). I posted the detour on this forum. Other's I know walked around it.

Should I have turned around? I think that's unreasonable. But some of you may say yes.

I do trail work consistently for COTA, and was just repairing ruts last weekend and will be doing more tomorrow, so believe me I know the effects of riding in mud.

Have many of us made a rut every now and then? Probably yes. Do i repair more ruts than I create? Absolutely.

Use good judgement. Be reasonable.

Joe

200 pounder
    I was guessing about the weight. Do I win a new bike?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Caught at least a few of the perps red handed.....if you see some dudes caseing every jump on the little jump line on way too plush freeride rigs theyre all yours. I saw one guy put a huge gouge in a berm and threw up in my mouth a little bit.

What day are we riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    They don't have a poulation center of 2 million people.
    Wow, I need to get out more. Seems like just yesterday Bend was about 80,000 people.

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    Wow, I need to get out more. Seems like just yesterday Bend was about 80,000 people.
    HA HA! Whoops! I was refering to the Portland Metro area.
    I ride at ludicrous speed