Metalheadbikerider

PDX Rally for Equality....

In response to last month's tragedies, we've seen a lot of amazing work
    done by Sam Adam's office, bicycling leaders, and the community.

And we have also been shocked by the inability of our police to
    appropriately respond to situations involving bicyclists. But this is not just
    about the police. This is a political problem, and a cultural problem,
    and its roots go deep. And it's not just about bicyclists. We are
    *all* vulnerable road users every time we leave our homes.

We have all been itching to turn our indignation into action, and it
    turns out that a variety of groups and individuals, from Shift to OBRA,
    to Joe Kurmaskie (aka The Metal Cowboy), to various others, have
    separately begun working out plans for a major demonstration to bring home the
    importance of equality and justice for bicyclists and all road users.

Let's all work together.

Two events are planned for next weekend: a press conference on Friday
    and a major demonstration on Saturday, which will be the focus of the
    weekend.

Friday, November 16th: Press Conference
    12:00 noon: gather at the Justice Center (1120 SW 3rd)
    12:15: the assembly will proceed to City Hall (1221 SW 4th)
    12:30: Press conference and peaceful demonstration

Saturday, November 17th: Rally in Waterfront Park
    12:00 Gather by Salmon Street Springs fountain to speak out about our
    concerns and demonstrate our commitment to justice, equality, and
    respect for all on the roads.

Friday's event will be a chance for us to state our concerns to the
    press and to our city's leaders, and make an appeal for change.

At Saturday's event we will bring that message home and rally the
    entire community around the transportation issues that affect the safety,
    health, and quality of life of us all.

Each event will be a peaceful, legal, and highly visible statement that
    we all belong equally in our roads and public spaces and that we are
    all committed to working together to create a culture of respect.

If you have some time to spare to make this happen, please RSVP to
    meet, plan, and make signs: Saturday the 10th at 5pm. We have some amazing
    talents coming together already to carefully shape our message and
    distribute it effectively. But for this movement to succeed, this event has
    to become a real community effort -- bicyclists of all stripes, and
    people who don't ride bikes too. It's safe to say that *everyone* has a
    stake in transportation equality.

Thanks,
    Elly

Elly Blue
    eleanor(dot)blue(at)gmail(dot)com
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Most excellent! I will be there Friday. Incredibly important for a *peaceful* massive turnout. I agree with you 100% - we need riders of all walks of life and proffesion (and non-riders who love and care about us). We need to wash away some of the stereotypes. We are everyone. Both riders could have been any one of us on any given day.

Thank you for posting this Brian.

~ Shanti

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Trying to wrap my mind around this!

The issue is political. Huh! How? We have great bike lanes in this city. We have a great chu chu train for the gang bangers. We have the tram. Well, I guess you do . I thought PDX was rated the number one place for riding bikes in the USA.

Jaybo

PS Sam Adams on the job. Oh, gawd, save us bikers.

mtbr member

It's an awareness / connectivity issue

Anyone who was part of either memorial ride felt the angst on behalf of drivers. This is an awareness issue. It only becomes political (to me) when you look at how the police deal with downed bikers and our rules of the road. Police are city employees. They answer to our political system. That is where the "policial issue" comes in. Other than that, it is perception, education, and outreach.

It is very easy to lose oneself in the isolation and disconnectivity of being in a metal box. You look out and see other metal boxes in what you percieve as "your space." This disconnectivity contribute to road rage. There are so many drivers who don't even connect with us as "other vehicles." "What is that biker doing in my way?!?" Get it?

"We" are someone else they don't relate to. "We" are not "Them." We need to help break down that thought pattern. We are everyone.

Awareness and respect on both sides is key.
    The problem is we don't have 6,200 lbs of protection around us.

~ Shanti

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Okay, I hear ya

Quote Originally Posted by Mtb_Grrl
    Anyone who was part of either memorial ride felt the angst on behalf of drivers. This is an awareness issue. It only becomes political (to me) when you look at how the police deal with downed bikers and our rules of the road. Police are city employees. They answer to our political system. That is where the "policial issue" comes in. Other than that, it is perception, education, and outreach.

It is very easy to lose oneself in the isolation and disconnectivity of being in a metal box. You look out and see other metal boxes in what you percieve as "your space." This disconnectivity contribute to road rage. There are so many drivers who don't even connect with us as "other vehicles." "What is that biker doing in my way?!?" Get it?

"We" are someone else they don't relate to. "We" are not "Them." We need to help break down that thought pattern. We are everyone.

Awareness and respect on both sides is key.
    The problem is we don't have 6,200 lbs of protection around us.

~ Shanti
    I would hate to be cop in PDX! Every time they end up having to shoot someone, who typically is holding a weapon, they get called racist IF the person isn't lilly white. They end dealing with yahoo's who feel they need to protest like fools citing their constitutional rights or so called equal rights. They stop traffic and generally act like idiots! Most of these morons don't even have a clue about the issues they are protesting against. A few rubber bullets and tear gas would end this nonsense.

I do agree that awareness is a good thing though but take it easy on the cops. Remember! Bikers sometimes ride their bikes like idiots! I have seen bikers run stop lights & signs and not wear lights at night among other stupid things. We get hit sometimes because we make an error or disregard a traffic law. In the case of the last couple victims, my heart goes out to their families...heck, my heart goes out to everyone involved whenever any biker gets killed regardless of who's fault it is....

Jaybo

Tree Hugger
    Hey Jaybo, STFU!

Some people around here aren't sad, close minded asses. Let them attend their rally, while you stay home, crying about the damned liberals, and the miserable weather, and the horrible government that pays your salary.

Sometimes your absurd views are humorous, here they are just plain stupid and inappropriate!
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Making fat cool since '71
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtb_Grrl
    Police are city employees. They answer to our political system. That is where the "policial issue" comes in. Other than that, it is perception, education, and outreach.

~ Shanti
    Cops are officers of the court. Their job is to enforce the laws on the books. Good laws, bad laws, confusing laws. Good cops, bad cops, confused cops. The political part comes into play with the dumb/confusing laws. The education part comes into play with the good/confused cops (but mostly with non-riders I would offer). I would imagine/hope those organinzing this "get" that the changes which need to happen from a law-enforcement standpoint are going to come way (waaaaaaay) up high and not at the patrol officer level although much of the consternation "we" display is targeted towards them...and they are the ones we interact with. It's always been a frustrating paradigm.

There is some education or outreach which would, hopefully, be useful within "us" (riders) as well. "We" have to be smart when riding...and being activists.

Many (most?) of "us" are also often "them" quite often.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

You liberals are such victims!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Hey Jaybo, STFU!

Some people around here aren't sad, close minded asses. Let them attend their rally, while you stay home, crying about the damned liberals, and the miserable weather, and the horrible government that pays your salary.

Sometimes your absurd views are humorous, here they are just plain stupid and inappropriate!
    How old are you? Just wondering. The stuff and all....middle age crisis? Should I have written that we bikers are victims of cars? Would that make you happy? It is incredibly sad that people are dying on PDX roads. THe unfortunate thing is the lack of reasonable thought. Just emotional crying all the time....and your typical anger.

Jaybo
    Last edited by Jaybo; 11-10-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Making fat cool since '71

Dewd...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    You are as close minded as they get! Oregon doesn't pay my salary. Go to the rally and cry about how unfair life is....Oh, the cars are picking on us. We must meet and cry about about unfair it is. Disciple of dirt of Disciples of d*ck. Hmm? I'm starting to wonder.

Jaybo
    ...name calling? Come on folks. I gave you more credit than that man. It's not funny, it's lame (by both of you).

Brock...

PS: you didn't edit quick enough...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

True

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    ...name calling? Come on folks. I gave you more credit than that man. It's not funny, it's lame (by both of you).

Brock...

PS: you didn't edit quick enough...
    I change my post. Sasquatch and I need to put the gloves on and settle it. Got a place. You want to be the referee? A fund raise for DOD?

Jaybo

Tree Hugger
    I change my post. Sasquatch and I need to put the gloves on and settle it. Got a place. You want to be the referee? A fund raise for DOD?

Jaybo
    I have no desire to punch you Jaybo.
    More importantly, I have no desire to get punched by you.

I just get sick of you inserting your negative views about everyone in PDX all the time. If you don't think the rally will effectively help the issues, stay home, but don't tell folks they are wasting their time, and don't bring up specious arguments about cops shooting people. What does that have to do with the issue of bikes getting run over by cars?

No one said that every bike/car colission if the fault of the driver. There are plenty of bikers who ride dangerously. The fact is that the recent deaths have not been the bikers faults, and people are trying to find a way to prevent this from occurring with so frequently.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I don't know what to say but can't keep myself from posting.

Jaybo, what the hell?

Ugh.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    I don't know what to say but can't keep myself from posting.

Jaybo, what the hell?

Ugh.
    No foolin'. That's one angry pelican right there.
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

meatier showers

Whoa

Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    No foolin'. That's one angry pelican right there.
    Somebody needs their nap.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

highly visible
    Jaybo, you're right that PDX is one of the most bike friendly cities in America. Unfortunately that's not saying much. We have a very long way to go before we get to the level of safety where your average Joe would think about hopping on his bike to ride to the Starbucks 10 blocks away instead of driving there. And it is possible. I recommend that anyone who has the means try to make a visit to either Copenhagen or Amsterdam at least once in your life. I've visited both, and I can assure you that as a cyclist you will never see traffic or cycling the same way again. Put it this way: Over 25% of Copenhageners commute to work by bicycle, year round average. This is in a city that gets snow and stays below freezing all winter, folks. Our average is 4%, and we're the #1 bike commuting city in America. I want to make things better not so much because I'm angry about the status quo, but because I have seen how much more is possible.

At an absolute minimum, this is a political issue because neither of the truck drivers responsible for the recent deaths even got a ticket. Even though they committed homicides while in clear violation of traffic laws -- something even the police agree with, but excuse saying they "couldn't have helped it". That's odd, because I have known people who got into car crashes that they couldn't have avoided, yet got tickets for being in the intersection on a yellow, for failing to yield to the driver on the right, or for violating the basic speed law. But you kill someone -- and nothing? When I took drivers ed, I was warned I could be charged with manslaughter if I accidentally killed someone. Now not even a ticket? WTF?!

The thing is, in one sense getting change should be easy. As Brock pointed out, the change has to be directed from the top. Of course that is ultimately the citizenry, but when it comes to Portland's city government itself, the Police Bureau is one of the city agencies that reports directly to the mayor. The weird thing is that our mayor is a cyclist. A recumbent rider, no less. Tom Potter has the cyclist's perspective AND the authority to crack the whip and order the PPB to recognize cyclists as equals. Unfortunately he's not terribly self-motivated sometimes, so it just looks to me like he needs a little public pressure to get off his butt and do something about this.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 11-11-2007 at 11:54 PM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

highly visible

OT, but when you start talking about tear gas and rubber bullets...

Jaybo, I usually just take the poke-the-bear-with-a-stick approach towards your negative outlook. Sometimes I can't resist prodding you. But this time it's different. If you think protestors "generally act like idiots", then you are the idiot. Have you ever even been to a protest? I've been to a number of protests in downtown PDX, every one of which has been 99.9% peaceful. I've walked among thousands of cheerful demonstrators with my baby in my arms and felt perfectly safe. Let a dozen people out of 20,000 cause trouble, though, and the idiot media focus only on that, and then idiots like you start flooding the newspaper with letters bashing priotestors.

And by the way, the right to peaceably assemble is one of our most sacred rights, even if it does block traffic. Degrading the few who actually have the passion to exercise that right and petition their government publicly -- instead of simply whining about the government on public forums all the time, like you do -- is a threat to my rights and downright unpatriotic. Especially when you start talking about tear gas and rubber bullets, which you may have meant in jest but I take as seriously as joking about bombs at the airport.

If you don't see the value in the right to assemble peaceably, then I take that to mean you are renouncing your US citizenship in addition to your former PDX-area residency. Please feel free to relocate to one of the many countries that doesn't recognize the right to peacably assemble. I hope that you were kidding in your comments above. Because I am not.
    Last edited by GlowBoy; 11-12-2007 at 12:03 AM.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

highly visible

Rotflmao

You liberals are such victims! ... Just emotional crying all the time....and your typical anger.
    Ha! I was busy replying to your other posts, and just caught this now. YOU complaining about victimhood, emotional crying and "typical anger" is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

meatier showers
    How did the rally go?

Did any fights break out?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by chick n da woods
    Thanks.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

meatier showers
    So how's life up north these days? Is anybody startin' to get it? You know, the notion of showing respect for fellow highway users, regardless of number of wheels under them?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    So how's life up north these days? Is anybody startin' to get it? You know, the notion of showing respect for fellow highway users, regardless of number of wheels under them?

--Sparty
    I don't think so. There are always dummies out there on both sides. Mrs. S. and I were driving home the other night from her roller derby awards ceremony in the 10PM hour and a smartypants on a pimped out Rivendell Bleriot was riding up Hawthorne...stylishly sporting fancy wool cap and knickers, but with no helmet, flashy lights or reflectors to be seen. In light of the recent tragedies, I was frustrated to say the least. He happened to stop at the very same 7-eleven Mrs. S. and I stopped in to top her off (her blood alcohol content must have been getting low) and I wasn't able to compose any kind of constructive statement so I uncharacteristically kept my mouth shut. We're still in need of some personal responsibility on both sides of the issue.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Tree Hugger
    Sounds like the rally went well. It's great to here that the police chief understands the point of view of cyclists, and was willing to attend. I'm sure that Tracey's aunt's speech hit home, and hopefully Chief Sizer will work to educate her force to the concerns raised. I saw alot of good press on the event, and I'm sure that the people of Portland did as well. Hopefully, it'll help some some lives!

Congrats, and keep up the hard work.