Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

PDX area current trail conditons 2014

Guess I better get the 2014 version up.

Trails include Browns Camp/Gales Creek/WRT, Scappoose, Powell Butte, Sandy Ridge, Mt. Hood, RD 44 Trails, Hood River/Gorge, Southern Washington including Mt. St. Helens. Tread conditions and trail damage reports welcome.

I finally got a ride in today after a number of weeks off the bike. The sun was shining out at Gales Creek and I rode Storyburn counter clockwise. Then Gales from the Gravel pit to the campground. Storyburn was in good shape except for a few downed trees on the steep west side. The couple of miles on Gales was a mix. Most of it was in decent shape and a few sections were really muddy. Not sure if portions of that will dry until summer... I would guess Gales proper should have similar tread conditions as Storyburn...rideable.

Post up and you might save someone a wasted trip. Cheers!
    Last edited by bubba13; 01-16-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Upper Sandy Ridge is in great shape. It was t-shirt weather out there today. I even had a mosquito land on me...now it is a dead mosquito. Lower Hide and Seek is still mucky in the open area near the power lines. I cut it short and rode Little Monkey which was in great shape.

Get out there if you can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Growlers Gulch is in great shape right now as it usually is during the winter. There's spots of muck here and there but for the most part the loam is in great shape and riding well.

I plan on going to Sandy Ridge tomorrow am. Looking forward to good conditions right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sandy Ridge is about as good as it can get right now. Perfect up high and a little muddy with some freeze thaw through the willow section of lower H&S.

Black Rock is even better than Sandy.

Three weeks ago, Surveyors was in great shape but they might have gotten some snow. I've heard that Post is a bit muddy from freeze thaw in spots and they spent most of last week in the inversion fog like PDX. With the wind and clear skies, it might be a lot better by this weekend.

I've heard Larch Mountain (thrillium, lower cold creek, and the lower parts of Tarbell) and Growlers are also in perfect condition.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I rode Browns Camp on Monday, trail conditions were great. Started late morning and the dirt was still frozen in some areas. Seemed to be thawing out as it warmed up, but it was still mostly dry.

Some of the technical root sections were a bit wet and slimy, adding to the fun, but no real mud to worry about.

MattSavage
    Anyone know how Surveyors/Knebal is doing? I suppose lots of blow down, but I can't imagine there's much snow...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

FKA Malibu412
    Matt, I'd imagine you're right: very little-to-no-snow except in shaded spots.

Cold Creek and Tarbell in SWWA are in the best January shape I've seen in years. Trimmed back, firm tread, accessional blow down but not excessive. Too bad we're gonna have drought conditions this coming summer but it makes for amazing winter rides.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Anyone know how Surveyors/Knebal is doing? I suppose lots of blow down, but I can't imagine there's much snow...
    I have no idea on Knebal, but Surveyors was perfect the first weekend in January with only one tree down from the powerlines to the fire road at the top. I'm not sure whether it got snow in the precip event from two weeks ago. If it didn't, it would be in great shape now.

FKA Malibu412
    Surveyors got snow 2 weeks ago but how much remains is the question. Prolly not much if the snow cover at other 4500' elevations the the last couple days is any indication.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Surveyors got snow 2 weeks ago but how much remains is the question. Prolly not much if the snow cover at other 4500' elevations the the last couple days is any indication.
    May depend on the elevation. We have an inversion layer here -- and have for much of the past two weeks. It could be 35 in town and 50 at 5000 feet. I rode Post Canyon Road last weekend on the cross bike. I was completely numb. Road above Post Flats was frozen and the trees were covered in a dusting of snow. At the same time, my kids were skiing at Meadows with no jackets or gloves!! But I am betting Surveyors would be good this weekend. May check it out . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Too bad we're gonna have drought conditions this coming summer but it makes for amazing winter rides.
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. Dry winter typically just means really wet spring. In the +40 years I have lived here, I don't recall ever being in a drought for a given water year. Yes it is unseasonably dry for now (take advantage of it), but we will get our precip sometime between now and Oct for sure.

FWIW, heard Dog River is free of snow top to bottom as of Sunday, but the folks I talked to who rode it said that there was at least 20 downed trees on it.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Browns Camp/Historic trail is riding well. Spent half a day out there working on drainage near the camp. Other trail gnomes have been hard at work cutting downed trees and doing drainage work near the main parking area. Logs have also been cleared on west side of Storyburn. Only two big logs remaining on section of Historic trail before University Falls parking area. Get out there and enjoy it while you can...

BTW. Does anyone know if Syncline still in the freeze/thaw cycle? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How does Browns Camp fair in the rain? Would it be decent this weekend after the rain we've been having?

mtbr member
    Anyone have any info on the conditions at black rock or syncline? Thinking of hitting one of them tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    Anyone have any info on the conditions at black rock or syncline? Thinking of hitting one of them tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks.
    Syncline was great yesterday. The Jeep trail was bone dry between Little Moab and Hidden Valley. No peanut butter at all up at the top.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Black rock is in good shape right now. Rode there yesterday

mtbr member
    Blackrock was tits today (sunday) with exception of bottom half of Bonzai 5 on the way out. The new tables are pretty sweet though. Everything else was pretty close to perfect. Had a great time today riding from 10 to almost 4pm. I couldn't get enough, only left due to brother being fried from all the repeats to top. About 5000ft of gain/loss today and was having so much fun, couldn't really tell how much I actually pedalled. Air time a plenty!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. Went to Blackrock and it was great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I had planned on a trip to Sandy Ridge tomorrow but I'm thinking that's a bad idea right now - does anyone know how snowfall in PDX generally hits the trails there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    BTW. Does anyone know if Syncline still in the freeze/thaw cycle? Thanks.
    Last time we rode there Syncline was in great shape. Parking lot was full.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hello, is there a website or such that lists the local trails around PDX? I am getting back into mountain biking and haven't ridden many trails in the area. Thanks

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Studsted View Post
    Hello, is there a website or such that lists the local trails around PDX? I am getting back into mountain biking and haven't ridden many trails in the area. Thanks
    Check this one out. A friend of mine maintains this page and has done all these rides. Mountain Biking North Western Mountains and Valleys

Not much in the PDX immediate area, though, other than Powell Butte, Forest Park roads, and Lacamas. Oh, and the River View system in the Sellwood area. Have to travel to trails mostly.

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Studsted View Post
    Give the NWTA trail wiki a try:NWTA Wiki
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

MattSavage
    Anyone been up to Siouxon lately? As in the last week or so?

Kinda curious about snow levels up there.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast