Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    shut up legs
    Siouxon is in great condition from the top lot to Chinook Falls...the creek is a bit deep to cross yet without hip waders...plus a fatbike is heavy to hoist
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa Fargo | Surly Krampus
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTSHANK View Post
    Siouxon is in great condition from the top lot to Chinook Falls...the creek is a bit deep to cross yet without hip waders...plus a fatbike is heavy to hoist
    Nice, thanks! But, after riding Siouxan/Huffman combo, it's tough to just ride Siouxan by itself for me now. Wonder how the trail (Siouxan) is further past Chinook turn-off.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I hear you loud and clear about Huffman. That first 3 miles from the top lot is still worth it. Plus I can ride the sspd when I don't head up Chinook. Thanks for the info on Siouxson!!! Sandy had a few inches of wet, slippery snow on Monday. I could not see most of the rocks on Hide & Seek. I would imagine that Syncline is good... Anybody know?
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Don't know about Syncline, it's been a few weeks since I was out there. There was a lot of damage to the jeep trail from water run off. All of the singletrack is holding up well though except for the trench on lower Moab. That thing gets deeper and deeper. It's like riding a luge track.

Post Canyon was fantastic this past Sunday. I rode all sides of the hills and there was no muddy clay. Just enough moisture for the tires to really grab. That's my pick for this weekend if the rain stays away.

I tried Falls Creek two weekends ago and their was a bad mix of ice, snow, and water at around 2300ft. It started right after the torturous climb was over. I turned around and rode the lower trail out to the waterfall. It's a beautiful trail. It's like getting to ride on an Oregon-side gorge hike.

zep
    mtbr member

Hagg--mud is plentiful

Hagg Lake: entire trail circling the lake is passable, but plentiful mud, as of several days ago. Very muddy/wet and slick, in a # of areas, with the trail chewed up by hikers/equestrians. I don't plan to ride it again until dries up.

Big thanks to NTA volunteers, for their work on this trail...it will be great, once the mud recedes.
    Last edited by zep; 03-28-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Obviously Single

WRT Good to Go!

I rode the Wilson River Trail Saturday, and it is excellent shape. There are a few fresh walk-arounds in the west-most section, but all in all 20 miles of nice single track.

Note that the flatter middle sections will soon have lots of hikers on the weekends, so watch out in that area.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Sandy Ridge was... best. dirt. ever. yesterday! Looks like rain for a while now tho. This winter has been terrible for my winter sports but the riding has been exceptionally good.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PDX area current trail conditons 2014-1958430_10152275218268774_2063582567_n.jpg  

"There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Can't wait to get back home with the bike this summer. Looks like some great things have happened over the years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Sandy Ridge was... best. dirt. ever. yesterday! Looks like rain for a while now tho. This winter has been terrible for my winter sports but the riding has been exceptionally good.

I'm looking at being near Sandy Ridge at the end of April - should I expect any snow still there or lots of swampy mud?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    I'm looking at being near Sandy Ridge at the end of April - should I expect any snow still there or lots of swampy mud?
    It's pretty dynamic. It will depend on whatever the weather will have been the day or two before you get there. I don't expect snow unless there is a snow shower. It doesn't stay around very long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Excuse my ignorance, but is PDX Portland, OR? I assumed it was as that is the airport code. But I'm confused. I've been doing searches on Portland, OR mountain biking and I'm seeing conflicting statements. On one hand I'm reading that there is hardly any mountain biking in Portland but this thread reads like there is a lot of it.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but is PDX Portland, OR? I assumed it was as that is the airport code. But I'm confused. I've been doing searches on Portland, OR mountain biking and I'm seeing conflicting statements. On one hand I'm reading that there is hardly any mountain biking in Portland but this thread reads like there is a lot of it.
    Well, the thread is titled "PDX area..." Area being anywhere within a 2-3 hour drive, since we who live here are accustomed to having to drive to mtb. There is no mtb'ing of significance within Portlands city limits.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    scappoose? i'm guessing its good to go but is it very muddy right now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Well, the thread is titled "PDX area..." Area being anywhere within a 2-3 hour drive, since we who live here are accustomed to having to drive to mtb. There is no mtb'ing of significance within Portlands city limits.
    Yup, that was exactly my intention when I titled the thread. I would only add most of the rides covered in this thread are more like 1-2 hour drives. 3 hours will get you all the way to Bend or Oakridge!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I rode out at Scappoose yesterday. Looped and looped on almost all of the "close-in" trails, but didn't make it out to the "back 40" that are a ways down that one main fire road.

Overall a bit slippery, with some bigger mud puddles, but drying out. Just a couple trees down. This week's warm, dry weather should have the trails in great shape soon.

I hadn't been out there in awhile. There's some fresh, deep pea gravel at the gate and the first bit of the road. All the newer gravel on the road must be railroad ballast grade?

Good to see a packed down track developing along the edge of the road in spots.

Take Chances
    Me and a buddy hit Cold Creek trail yesterday. Went up the gravel road, then followed the trail to the top of Larch Mtn. The way down is full of jumps, drops, rock gardens and berms. The trail is amazing right now. No dust and very little mud. What a gem.

mtbr member
    Any update on Road 44 area trails? Can one get into 8 Mile campground?
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by yoterryh View Post
    From the horse's mouth: 44 Trails Association | Keep Single Track Single

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropped68 View Post
    Thanks. I was not aware of that organization but will remember it for future reference.
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    hit scappoose this morning, trails were awesome, just a few small mud patches but pretty minimal.

couple questions for those in the know - how far back does the main fire road go?

also, i've noticed in my road-bike adventures that there is another gate on the north side of rocky point road up closer to skyline. are there rideable trails there as well?

Obviously Single

Smile Hagg Lake update

Just rode Hagg Lake, and it's still just a bit muddy. It's also a bit overgrown in a few places, including one or two that will slice you up a bit. The Scotch Broom is also in bloom, for those that are allergic (like me).

Give it until the end of the Labor Day Weekend (monday). And if you want to help clear out the trail, PM me, as we are planning a work day.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoterryh View Post
    Knebal is actually all clear (one small log on top of counter clockwise climb before hub decent. Needs to get ridden before horses hammer this thing, sad what just one horse has already done. Super Connector has 1-2 logs on in as well.

Not sure about 8 mile climb (as of a week ago it still had a plethora of trees), and hopefully 15 crossover and 15 mile will get cleared soon.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Latest 44 Trails conditions update is now avail at 44 Trails Association | Keep Single Track Single. As per the Ranger, Knebal, 8-Mile, Bottle Prairie, Super Connector, 15-Mile and Cedar Creek are open to USFS spec!

Trail Conditions Update 5/23 | 44 Trails Association

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Whoopdee and Hospital Hill both (both Hood River Area) close for the season on Saturday. So, get 'em now or wait until the fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The rain made it to the East side of Hood. It is perfect out there right now. If you want to take advantage of the rain go East young man! I have never had a July day like today(in this vicinity). Great temperature, amazing trail conditions, blue skies and little to zero bugs.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast