Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anyone know the current conditions at sandy? I'm planning to ride early AM saturday and don't want to go if only the lower elevation trails are open.

B42
    mtbr member

PDX area current trail conditons 2014

I'll know tomorrow, but not until 9am or so. I'll post when I know for sure. Im expecting some snow, but mostly ridable. TTM in think will be clear, flow motion, and everything below. No promises.
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I plan to be there by 9am as well. Maybe earlier if I happen to be up.
    Really crossing my fingers that Communication will be snow free so I can loop the upper elevation rock based trails multiple times for mostly dry riding. I will probably skip lower H&S and flow motion all together and ride TNT instead. The lower stuff is just too muddy and usually results in me cleaning a muddy bike when the upper stuff is cherry. I always regret riding lower H&S this time of year.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Anyone been up to Siouxon lately? As in the last week or so?

Kinda curious about snow levels up there.
    Snow is a little low now. I wouldn't drive there to find out how is until some melt occurs. Well, unless you have a fat bike.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

B42
    mtbr member

Communication breakdown has enough snow that I didn't make it past the first turn. RD has a little, but still mostly rides and is fun. Lower H&S was in really good condition. Connector from LL to parking lot has an issue at the corner with running water.

Oh, and it's puffy white clouds and blue sky right now!
    ## Every time I cheat death it reinforces the adolescent belief that I'm invincible. ##

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Did anyone ride Upper H&S, TTM, 338, Flow Motion, or any of the freeride trails on the lower section today? Planning on going tomorrow morning

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was there this morning. H&S is good top to bottom. Flow motion is good but a little soft. 338 had large snow drifts so I didn't even venture out to CB or TTM. Anything that is out in the open has about 3'' of old snow. Follow the leader decent is good but the climb to the top has snow drifts. The last 1/4 mile of the road climb has snow as well. TNT and little monkey should be fine to ride.

B42
    mtbr member

QPF and TTM are totally clear of snow (aside from 1 spot on TTM that you have to avoid).

We're you in the escape Finch? I was the audi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep that was me

Metalheadbikerider
    Scappoose today was in good shape. Some slick spots as expected, but we rode for two hours and I don't have to clean my bike. If you need a fix don't hesitate to head out.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone been out to the Wilson River Trail? Heading west from Jones Creek? I would suspect there are quite a few trees down from the last big blow a week ago or so.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampir View Post
    Anyone been out to the Wilson River Trail? Heading west from Jones Creek? I would suspect there are quite a few trees down from the last big blow a week ago or so.
    Not much blow done, none really, from Jones Creek to Keenig... I did it on Sunday. The trail and dirt are in super good shape! Lots of small slides, though. One area I had to walk. It was a good ride.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

MattSavage
    Elk Cr. to top of Kings Mtn had a little bit of blowdown. 10 trees maybe. I did that on Friday. I didn't drop down to Jones Cr. though.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Elk Cr. to top of Kings Mtn had a little bit of blowdown. 10 trees maybe. I did that on Friday. I didn't drop down to Jones Cr. though.
    Anyone know if the car break-ins have subsided along the Wilson River trail in the past year or so? Great trail to rack some mileage but always nervous about parking, even if at visitors center.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrd View Post
    Anyone know if the car break-ins have subsided along the Wilson River trail in the past year or so? Great trail to rack some mileage but always nervous about parking, even if at visitors center.
    I've never had a problem or seen any evidence of any problems. But I'm always careful to have anything enticing totally out of sight. It could be that no one wants to mess with my beat up old pickup because obviously the owner has nothing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am pretty sure that the "guy" was busted. Not 100% on this, but there have been no recent issues. I always park at Elk Creek... I am not sure if I will ever "feel" totally safe there. There might be a post in regards to the break-in's that included the arrest of the "guy". Apologies in advance for the lack of anything factual.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I am pretty sure that the "guy" was busted. Not 100% on this, but there have been no recent issues. I always park at Elk Creek... I am not sure if I will ever "feel" totally safe there. There might be a post in regards to the break-in's that included the arrest of the "guy". Apologies in advance for the lack of anything factual.
    I'm pretty sure you are correct. There was a pretty rough looking dude busted a year or two ago.

And yeah, I never feel comfortable parking anywhere along the Hwy 6 corridor.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

I got nothin'

That guy was busted!

The guy that was breaking into cars along Highway 6 was caught.

Bay City man arrested on mulitple theft charges - Tillamook Headlight-Herald: News

However, that doesn't mean that it won't happen again. Don't leave anything of value in your car.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

endoguy
    Anyone know the Sandy ridge Trails conditions are? Ride-able or too loose?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by endoguy View Post
    Anyone know the Sandy ridge Trails conditions are? Ride-able or too loose?
    pretty good this morning before the monsoon were getting now. 2 or 3 puddles on the trail. corner were grip and ripable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Can anyone give an update on Sandy ridge? is it snow free? I was hoping to go up there Thursday after work...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It was snow free Sunday afternoon and judging by the forecast should be great and dry up this week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Given the warm and dry weather this week, does anyone have any intel on the Coast Range stuff? Wilson River trail, Browns Camp/Gales Creek systems, etc?

I know that the section of Gales Creek between Rt 6 and the campground will be the usual muddy bog for at least another month....just didn't know how the rest of everything was holding up with the rains in the last few weeks.

Anything else to avoid, other than the section I mentioned?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sandy is in great shape as of Wednesday. An interesting water crossing on FTL and the usual drainage issues on Flow Motion, but it was a super day.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Coast Range conditions:
    Storey Burn - great, barely any wet spots
    Gales Creek - about 1 mile closed about 3/4" of the way towards Bell Camp road

Looks like everything was so dry, it just soaked up the rain we've got over the last month.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast