mtbr member

A.p.b. Stolen Bike In Portland Area!

I am writing this post for a friend who just had his bike stolen off of 35th and Morrison(SE Portland)

Bike Description:
    -Black Transition Vagrant
    -Green Rock Shox Domain
    -Avid BB5's or BB7's
    -May have had BRMBA (Black Rock Mountain Bike Assc.) stickers attached somewhere on frame

Perpetrators Description:
    -6' white male
    -regular build
    -dirty brown hair
    -clean shaven, pants, and black coat
    -kinda of baby face
    -early 20's
    -talked about just sold his road bike

At this time this is all the information I have. Police have been notified. Apparently a phone number has been found, but unknown if it current or belongs to the perpetrator. Anyone in the Portland area, please keep your eye out for this bike!
    Last edited by BRMBA MONKEY!; 12-12-2009 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BRMBA MONKEY!
    I am writing this post for a friend who just had his bike stolen off of 35th and Morrison(SE Portland)

Bike Description:
    -Black Transition Vagrant
    -Green Rock Shox Domain
    -Avid BB5's or BB7's
    -May have had BRMBA (Black Rock Mountain Bike Assc.) stickers attached somewhere on frame

Perpetrators Description:
    -6' white male
    -regular build
    -dirty brown hair
    -clean shaven, pants, and black coat
    -kinda of baby face
    -early 20's
    -talked about just sold his road bike

At this time this is all the information I have. Police have been notified. Apparently a phone number has been found, but unknown if it current or belongs to the perpetrator. Anyone in the Portland area, please keep your eye out for this bike!
    Did you let him take it for a test ride or something and he never brought it back?

mtbr member
    From what I have heard is yes. The bike is/was for sale and the person was allowed to pedal around with the bike. First he went up the street, then came back past the house and just kept going.

highly visible
    If you haven't already done so, please also make sure to report this on BikePortland.org's Bike Theft Central.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Thanks much, making a post there now!

meatier showers
    He was wearing pants, you say?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Obviously Single
    Not that your friend did anything wrong ... he was not the thief ... but I hope you read him the riot act.

1. Do not trust folks. Get a license (with his picture on it, his address, etc)

2. If you are still uncomfortable, ask for $100 deposit. ;-)

3. Don't trust anybody that doesn't have their own car! (LOL)

4. Have a recent picture of the bike, for gosh shakes.

(If he in fact does have a recent picture, please post that.)
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    He's feeling pretty bad right now, and I'm pretty sure that he's already been told by other friends on what he did wrong.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Not that your friend did anything wrong ... he was not the thief ... but I hope you read him the riot act.

1. Do not trust folks. Get a license (with his picture on it, his address, etc)

2. If you are still uncomfortable, ask for $100 deposit. ;-)

3. Don't trust anybody that doesn't have their own car! (LOL)

4. Have a recent picture of the bike, for gosh shakes.

(If he in fact does have a recent picture, please post that.)
    Believe it or not, what happened is not technically called "theft," and the guy who lost his bike may not be able to recover under his homeowner's insurance (assuming he has any).

I spent 10 years in the insurance business a long time ago. While in that business, I learned the meaning of the terms for losses that are covered by insurance.

Robbery is when somebody threatens you and steals something from you.
    Burglary is when someone breaks into your property and steals something from you.
    Theft is when someone steals something from you without threatening you or breaking in.
    But none of these are what happened in this case.

In this case what happened is known as "conversion." Conversion is when you entrust something of yours to someone else and they don't return it. Technically it's not theft and your insurance will not cover it because you willfully gave it to them. You're not supposed to give stuff to people you don't trust.

Sorry if this comes off like a lesson... that's not really how it's meant. I'm just offering it so that perhaps somebody else might not make the same mistake. I hope the guy who lost his bike gets it back.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

highly visible
    Sparty, you may well be right that insurance won't cover this because it doesn't meet their definition of theft. But I suspect the insurance industry may use a different definition than the criminal justice system does. Insurance does, after all, have an interest in defining these crimes more narrowly than the legal system does.

From my criminal justice work I know this is true of burglary. Under Oregon law (as well as most states) burglary is NOT the act of taking property. Contrary to most people's understanding, burglary is the act of entering property with the intent to commit a crime. If someone breaks into your house and steals a TV, they committed burglary when they entered the house. When they walked off with the TV, that was theft - not burglary.

I think a similar disconnect may also be true for theft. Based on my non-lawyer's reading of ORS 164.015, it sounds like Oregon law would still consider this theft. Part 1 of the statute declares it a crime when someone "... [t]akes, appropriates, obtains or withholds such property from an owner thereof". The statute appears to apply more broadly than just cases where the initial acquisition of the item was without the owner's consent.

Another more extreme example: if someone steals your car because you left the keys in the ignition, your insurance probably won't cover you. But it's still auto theft.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    On the bright side it's not like someone stole his favorite bike ever. He just got rid of a bike for a lot less than he was planning on.

Known Mountainbiker
    Why would anybody want to buy a bike with a BRMBA sticker on it? That's like buying a car with Demolition Derby style numbers spray painted on the doors.

"Yeah, I'm done beating the sh!t out of this bike; time to sell it"

Caz

P.S. Bike thieves suck. I hope you....er...your friend gets his bike back.
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Why would anybody want to buy a bike with a BRMBA sticker on it? That's like buying a car with Demolition Derby style numbers spray painted on the doors.

"Yeah, I'm done beating the sh!t out of this bike; time to sell it"

Caz
    you're reading my mind

Leave it all on the trail
    Man some of you guys are unvbelieveable........ seriously. I suspect he/she is finding out all these things that you are pointing out the hard way so save it!

Transition Vagrant, Green domain.. CHECK! I will keep my eyes out.
    Ride. Dig. Party.

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback78
    Man some of you guys are unvbelieveable........ seriously. I suspect he/she is finding out all these things that you are pointing out the hard way so save it!.

An ounce of Prevention.......
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    An ounce of Prevention.......
    I'm usually wary of anyone who wants to test ride my bike from a CL ad. I've personally never had a problem but have heard horror stories.
    Edit: was it a craigslister?

mtbr member
    Yes, the bike was in a craigslist ad and the person who came by a.k.a. the thief also had a craigslist ad, for what I don't know.