mtbr member

Out and back on the MRT

I'm hoping to drive over and do an out and back on the McKenzie River trail in a day or two. Hoping to hit the upper part around Clear Lake.

Where is a good put in point down below? 8-15 miles would be a butt kicker for me, but I don't remember how steep the upper part is. I rode it about 8 years ago. Tamolitch? Carmen Reservoir?

Thanks!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I'm hoping to drive over and do an out and back on the McKenzie River trail in a day or two. Hoping to hit the upper part around Clear Lake.

Where is a good put in point down below? 8-15 miles would be a butt kicker for me, but I don't remember how steep the upper part is. I rode it about 8 years ago. Tamolitch? Carmen Reservoir?

Thanks!
    Oh how I wish there was an ODOT road cam in McKenzie Bridge... or better yet at Sahalie Falls... but there ain't.

I don't know where the snow level is right now, but I'll be surprised if you can ride the upper part of the trail and personally I wouldn't head up there to even try the lower section unless someone told they're sure it isn't under snow right now.

That said, best o' luck to ya.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    I know, I was wondering the same thing. With an elevation of 3k feet (I thought it was lower) it looks like I might be screwed.

mtbr member
    Looking at the road cam on Hwy 20 at Tombstone there's no way the upper section isn't under at least some snow.

What day are we riding?
    You are SOL on Clear Lake. The most applicable traffic cam is Santiam Junction (which is trying to crap out right now). For McKenzie Bridge approximation I look at Detroit, which is about 600 ft lower. Looks like McKenzie Bridge should have some good snow going now too.

Tree Hugger
    Last weekend I heard there was snow at belknap hot springs, near the bottom of the trail.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

meatier showers
    There's a webcam at Christmas Treasures between Blue River & McKenzie Bridge. That ain't much help, tho.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas