mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Our most important ride- search and rescue

My wife and I are out for the summer as always and had what is likely to be our most important ride of the season yesterday. As we were popping out from COD and crossing over into the parking area for Dog Heaven before our cruise back to 7th Mtn, we found a very hysterical mom (and granddad who) had lost her 6year old son Kayden walking back from the bluff overlook. Jo and I sprung into action doing search and rescue via bike. We instructed the mom to call 919 and gave her the location (she did not really know where she had parked) and then we split up and took off on bikes. I went down to Entrada on the haul road and swung back doing what I thought would be the outermost possible trail, while Jo rode straight back on the main road/trail looking. In less than 10 minutes we found little Kayden, we had him back to mom before the sheriffs search and rescue even mobilized. He was a bit shaken but fine and super happy to see his family.

We will have many other great rides this summer, but none as important as that one.

Good to be back and I look forward to working with COTA as always building some new trail and taking care of some old.

Woody

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Good work Woody. Nothing scarier for a parent than a lost child.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Good work Woody. Nothing scarier for a parent than a lost child.
    We don't have kids, but I can imagine how scary that is. This is the first time in 3 years I arrived healthy from the waist down. I hope to not have to come see you this year, but maybe we could catch a ride and beer instead of meeting in your office for a change.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Right on! I'm glad to hear it!

Tactical Nightmare
    You sir, are to commended for your efforts. Truly, as a dad of a 7 year old son, I can tell you those moments had to be the most horrifying time in those people's lives. If that were to happen to me, I could only hope that a Samaritan such as yourself would be around to assist.

You give me hope for humanity! Sounds grand, I know, but really, we need more people like you willing to step up and help out.
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - Team Dirt - Build It. Ride It.