Afric Pepperbird

OT: Sea Sucker bike rack system?

I'm just curious if anyone here has any firsthand experience with the Sea Sucker bike rack system?

SeaSucker Vacuum-Mount Bike Racks

I really want a nice, clean system for my brand new car. No roof rack, trailer hitches, etc. I want easy on, easy off, and no harm to paint.

Yes, I've done a lot of reading about it on the "car & bike" sub-forum here, but thought I'd see if anyone has tried it in the fussy Oregon climate. I've called some LBS' here in Bend, and they say they were impressed after the initial "no way would I trust that thing" factor.

Price is a bit high, but I can live with that

Thanks

mtbr member
    The only experience I have with vacuum cups is from installing windows. Drawbacks I could see is the mounting surface needs to be really clean. I bet if you leave that on your car for an extended period of time (all summer) it's going to leave a mark. I think the locking system is a little cheesy. It looks really versatile though, you could mount a bike on just about anything with a smooth hard surface. Would be great for rental car situations.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in Bend View Post
    The only experience I have with vacuum cups is from installing windows. Drawbacks I could see is the mounting surface needs to be really clean. I bet if you leave that on your car for an extended period of time (all summer) it's going to leave a mark. I think the locking system is a little cheesy. It looks really versatile though, you could mount a bike on just about anything with a smooth hard surface. Would be great for rental car situations.
    The good thing is you don't leave it on for an extended period of time. Once you hit the trailhead (and back home), it takes two minutes to take off and store in your car. And because of this very reason, I would not need their locking system, although something would be handy for those quick trips to the store after a ride.

Keep Singletrack Single
    How is the anti-theft on this rack? It does not seem secure...
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    How is the anti-theft on this rack? It does not seem secure...
    The cable anchors, seen here. (There's a video somewhere on their website on how to secure the bikes with the anchors). But, as mentioned above. I'll not really need a theft device.

Tactical Nightmare
    That is a really nice rack for sure, and I totally understand not wanting to mess up paint.......I'm kind of a car guy too. Boy, that "trusting it" obstacle would be hard to get over though, with the investment of a nice bike sitting on it, flying down the road at 65mph. But if you can get past that, you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    The good thing is you don't leave it on for an extended period of time. Once you hit the trailhead (and back home), it takes two minutes to take off and store in your car. And because of this very reason, I would not need their locking system, although something would be handy for those quick trips to the store after a ride.
    You would have to clean the areas well after you return from your ride to reattach it to the car securely, it could be a hassle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Very interesting rack. All my mountain bikes are QR15 and I don't see how to mount my bikes to that thing. Given the continuos change in bikes, I'm sticking with racks that clamp the wheels, its about the only thing that hasn't changed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @bdombrow They sell adapters for 15mm/20mm
    Fork Up 15mm Adapter - SeaSucker

There are a few other posts that discuss Seasuckers on MTBR.
    Seasucker?
    Sea Sucker racks...

I like mine. I don't use it often. I prefer my hatchback for security and gas mileage. But I have used mine on 200+ mile road trips, mostly freeway speeds, very secure.

Oops. I just re-read the OP. I guess you have been checking on Seasuckers in the other sub-forums. You wanted to know about how they work in Oregon weather. Sorry, can't help you there!!
    Last edited by allroy71; 01-14-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: I didn't answer the OP

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Also love mine. My buddies Thule has failed twice

2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc