mtbr member
    Dec 2005

OT: Relocating to Bend

I know this topic has been brought up several times before, and I know that Bend has been growing too fast for its own good. That being said, I need to move there! I am a native Oregonian and not a SoCal immigrant, if that makes it any easier to the locals.
    Anyway, I was just wondering what neighborhoods are the best for families with young children. I would love to hear any personal experiences with the local schools - are they basically the same or do any have better reputations? Are there any private schools in town? I would prefer to live on the westside of town (big surprise) even though I know it would take at least $400k to buy in.
    Also, anybody know what's up with COTA's website? I haven't been able to access it for some time...

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    I know this topic has been brought up several times before, and I know that Bend has been growing too fast for its own good. That being said, I need to move there! I am a native Oregonian and not a SoCal immigrant, if that makes it any easier to the locals.
    Anyway, I was just wondering what neighborhoods are the best for families with young children. I would love to hear any personal experiences with the local schools - are they basically the same or do any have better reputations? Are there any private schools in town? I would prefer to live on the westside of town (big surprise) even though I know it would take at least $400k to buy in.
    Also, anybody know what's up with COTA's website? I haven't been able to access it for some time...
    If you have young kids, say elementary school age, I'd recommend:

1) The Parks
    http://www.tndwest.com/parksatbrokentop.html
    I'm having trouble finding the actual sales office website but if you Google around you might have better luck than I.

2) Northwest Crossing
    http://www.northwestcrossing.com/Nor...News__Updates/
    It's a bit more tightly spaced and "communal" than The Parks, so you'd best be fairly social in nature.

3) The older neighborhood directly west of Harmon Park (I don't know if it has an "official" neighborhood name). It's within walking distance to downtown.

mtbr member
    To leave the drama out, COTA is moving to a new domain, which will be announced once the site is up to run. That should be soon!
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are plenty of houses on the westside for under $400k theses days. The Neighborhoods that Nat mentioned are great neighborhoods for kids, but there are also some good neighborhoods on Bend's SW side near Pine Ridge elementry school. I live about 3 blocks from Pine Ridge and really enjoy this area. There seem to be a lot of homes in this area for sale right now, and plenty to pick from for around $300k to $350k. The Parks and Northwest Crossing are going to be more expensive, but could be worth it if you got the money. It depends on your price limt for a house. Anywhere on the westside will put you close to the trails, Mt. Bachelor, good parks, and downtown.
    Moving to Bend? Let me help.
    Derek Faller - www.BendHouseSeller.com

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

We need a sticky on this OT to Bend topic

It comes up every 2 days or so

Jaybo

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    It comes up every 2 days or so

Jaybo
    Need a "Moving to Bend" forum.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Need a "Moving to Bend" forum.

--Sparty
    We should also have 'hey, everyone, I rode in the snow" yesterday forum.

Jaybo

Making fat cool since '71

Ummm....

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    We should also have 'hey, everyone, I rode in the snow" yesterday forum.

Jaybo
    Did you two just share a "moment?"

Brock...

PS: what is this world coming to?
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink
    I would prefer to live on the westside of town (big surprise) even though I know it would take at least $400k to buy in.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but why is it "no big surprise" that you want to live on the West side of town?

And on a side note, what would one be looking at in terms of $$$ for a small single famly house outside of town?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Forgive me for my ignorance, but why is it "no big surprise" that you want to live on the West side of town?

And on a side note, what would one be looking at in terms of $$$ for a small single famly house outside of town?
    You could get a really nice, new house on the Eastside of Bend for around $225,000.00 & up, ranging from 1200sf to 1600sf. My in-laws are lgoing to re-locate here from Oahu (I know, crazy huh, but their first grandchild is on the way ; ). We are always on the look out for them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Eastside, some very nice neighborhoods are to be found & it is such a lopsided buyers market right now that you could get in for cheap!!. I just saw a wicked, 2400sf house with 3 car garage & very nice interior package for $265,000.00!!

BTW, there is a foot of brand new snow in my driveway ; )

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    You could get a really nice, new house on the Eastside of Bend for around $225,000.00 & up, ranging from 1200sf to 1600sf. My in-laws are lgoing to re-locate here from Oahu (I know, crazy huh, but their first grandchild is on the way ; ). We are always on the look out for them. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Eastside, some very nice neighborhoods are to be found & it is such a lopsided buyers market right now that you could get in for cheap!!. I just saw a wicked, 2400sf house with 3 car garage & very nice interior package for $265,000.00!!

BTW, there is a foot of brand new snow in my driveway ; )
    Good to know. Though a 2400sf house is entirely too much house for me and the better 1/2. Personally, i'd much rather live in a 1000sf house with land/shed/garage/or other bike/ski storage area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    I just saw a wicked, 2400sf house with 3 car garage & very nice interior package for $265,000.00!!
    Wow, that is amazing for that market!