Really, I'm not.
    Jun 2007

New question here. OT- Portland attractions

This August my girlfriend and I will be going to Portland for a few days to check out the Pacific University School of Pharmacy. We will have some free time so I am wondering what there is to do in or around Portland that is not biking related. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Take her to a strip club, we've got plenty to choose from.

Really, I'm not.
    Jun 2007
    Anything else maybe a little more romantic?

Metalheadbikerider

His N Hers strip club?

Quote Originally Posted by I'mNotGoodAtThis
    Anything else maybe a little more romantic?

Actually, there is a lot do here depending on your interests. So, what are your ineterests?
    A couple of weekly rags to check out for some info:
    www.willametteweek.com
    www.portlandmercury.com
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just kidding. Forest Grove is only about a 45 min. drive from the coast. I'd say Cannon Beach my GF loves it!

Really, I'm not.
    Jun 2007
    A friend recommended Forest Park, might check it out. The coast was an option also.
    I was just wondering some of the local restaurants to go to, without breaking the bank of course. We are both college students so money is somewhat of an issue. Maybe just some local hot spots, places to hang out, sights to see. We don't need to go on any touristy things like a guided tour. I've never been to Portland so I was wondering what there is to do there and in the surrounding area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Go to the rose gardens. They will not have roses this time of year, but the views of Portland are great. If you go in there after dark the views are even better. The waterfront is nice to see the river and all the bridges. The downtown shopping can be fun, especially around Christmas. There are also a lot of good bars to just hang out at and grab a bite to eat. I have not been downtown for a long time, things may have changed.

Metalheadbikerider

Couple thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by I'mNotGoodAtThis
    A friend recommended Forest Park, might check it out. The coast was an option also.
    I was just wondering some of the local restaurants to go to, without breaking the bank of course. We are both college students so money is somewhat of an issue. Maybe just some local hot spots, places to hang out, sights to see. We don't need to go on any touristy things like a guided tour. I've never been to Portland so I was wondering what there is to do there and in the surrounding area.
    Forest Park is a nice place for a hike, especially trails like the Wildwood Trail. Get off of Leif Erickson (the main gravel thoroughfare that runs the distance of the park) and hit the trails. Or you could head out to the Columbia Gorge for more remote hiking/mtb biking, and beautiful waterfalls.
    If you go to the Rose Garden hike uphill and check out the japanese garden too. There is also a chinese garden downtown. Powell's Books in downtown is worth stopping at for sure.

There are MANY places to eat/drink/be merry in Portland. A couple that come to mind that we enjoy are:

The Montage-hip joint with Rainier beer and good mac n cheese with sweet take-home aluminum foil sculptures.

Mother's Cafe-nicer place downtown, without the need totally dress up. $10-15+ dinners, and killer french press Stumptown coffee (best coffee in town) with chocolate cake for dessert.

The Delta-funky soul food spot where none of the dishes, or waitstaff match, and the White Trash Meatloaf kicks @ss. 40 oz. of Pabst in the bottle served in a bucket with ice is a must. If it is busy you can put your name on a wait list and write "The Lutz" next to it, and they will call you at the neighborhood (and smoky) bar on the corner, where cans of Pabst are a $1, when a table is available.

Also:
    Bars and great music all over town. You'll have to be more specific for help in this area-don't know where to begin for you.

Hawthorne St. is a cool street to hang out with many shops/bars/cafes/record stores/vintage clothing stores to check out.

Mt. Tabor is a cool city park on the end of Hawthorne St in SE Portland to check out. Extinct volcano with nice views of the city, and some trails to play around on.

If you have any other questions, ask away.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org