Afric Pepperbird

OT: Non-ethanol gas in Bend?

Does anyone know of ethanol-free gas stations in Bend? There is this listing, but if anyone has any first hand experience, I'd appreciate it. Plus, that list seems pretty short, and most of those Bend stations are "unbranded", or is that the norm?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Talk to a boat dealer. They should be able to point you in the right direction as Marine grade fuel is non ethanol.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    I believe the Shell station on 27 and 20 has some. The Expressway on 15 and Reed used to in premium but not sure about that anymore.

it means 'no problem'
    Quickway on Butler has an entire menu of alt fuels, I buy my biodiesel there and I've seen ethanol free...
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

Afric Pepperbird
    Thanks for the heads up. I live rather close to the Shell on the east side, where the guys in white uniforms treat you well.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    The station on Boyd acres and Greenwood also has quite the menu of fuels; with two grades of non-E.
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Ethanol-free gas stations in OR
    IS comprehensive and unbranded is the norm for ethanol free. Shell might put a few additives in theirs but they ALL get it from the same source including Shell. I've never had a problem with unbranded and it is critical for my race sleds. The list is short because of OR law - most of those stations have to sell 15% ethanol containing gas to make up for selling non-ethanol!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

industry employee
    Shell near AM/PM on 3rd street/Greenwood.
    1144 Ne 3rd St
    Bend OR 97701-4529

mtbr member
    Part of the problem, in regards to the availability of non-ethanol premium fuel in Oregon, has to do with the stations' storage tanks. When most stations upgraded their storage tanks in the late 1980's, early 1990's, they installed one tank for premium and one for regular. The mid-grade fuel was then a mix of the two, done at the pump. Along comes state rules requiring at least 10% ethanol content, year round, which lasted about a year before stations were allowed to sell ethanol free premium. However, if they did not have a dedicated tank for the premium, they couldn't sell it, since their mid-grade was still pump mixed.

So if you see a station without ethanol free premium in Oregon, it is because of their storage system.
    Seen on a bumper sticker
    Fight terrorism. Ride a bike.

highly visible
    I've bought E0 (pure ethanol free gas) at the Quickway. For my previous car, a 2001 Jetta, it amounted to an 8-10% improvement in fuel economy over the usual E10. E10 only has 4% less energy in it than E0, but older cars often don't run as efficiently on it so the hit can be more than 4%.

I now have a newer car and haven't tried pure gas in it, but I've heard that newer vehicles are designed to handle E10 better and the difference should be very close to 4%. I've also heard from a couple of sources that the engine programming can take a tank or two to make the adjustment from E10 to E0 and back again, so you may actually see a temporary mpg hit switching to the pure stuff. From what I can tell, on newer cars it's best to pick one or the other and stick to it consistently.

By the way, the reason you can only get non-ethanol premium is because it's the only thing Oregon law allows. When the legislature re-legalized E0 at the beginning of 2011, they wrote the law specifically to allow it for premium fuel only -- ostensibly because many marine and aircraft engines require premium, and those were the groups clamoring loudest for its return. Of course it also helped placate those who would rather see most of us burning gasohol, since almost no one is going to save money going to pure gas if it's premium. I would bet GMan is right that many of the stations selling E0 premium are also selling regular of 15% or higher ethanol, so they can sell blended mid-grade via pump mixing as PomPilot points out.
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Afric Pepperbird
    Thanks for the 411 you guys. Much appreciated. I just bought a brand spankin' new car, and want to avoid corn at all costs.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The website listing the E0 fuels has a few that sell 93 octane and couple selling 94 octane. They are all way out in the boonies though. Too bad, I'd love to get a supply of 94 for the toy car.