mtbr member
    Sep 2004

OSU is it worth the move

Just a new yorker moving to OSU really need some advice from some people who know the area. Education is second to bieng able access some woods a couple times a week. I know its a general question but you come to upstate NY ill show you a great time. At least till fall semester, help a yank out. Local and tourist trail info is all the same to me thanks ahead

Making fat cool since '71

It depends...

Quote Originally Posted by swampluv
    Just a new yorker moving to OSU really need some advice from some people who know the area. Education is second to bieng able access some woods a couple times a week. I know its a general question but you come to upstate NY ill show you a great time. At least till fall semester, help a yank out. Local and tourist trail info is all the same to me thanks ahead

Will you renounce all claims/allegiences/affection for/to/with the Spankies? Do your friends snicker just a little bit when you tell them you are a mighty fighting beaver?

Kraig...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member

McDonald Forest

Hey the McDonald Research forest(not fast food) is one on the edge of town If I remember right it is about 7,000 acres of trails. Many more, that is just on the edge of town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moodster
    Hey the McDonald Research forest(not fast food) is one on the edge of town If I remember right it is about 7,000 acres of trails. Many more, that is just on the edge of town.
    And there's more than that not too far away also. Lots within riding distance, and much more within (relatively) short driving time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just out of curiosity, how is the party life/fun factor of that school?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianswagon
    Dunno, I'm an older fart. It is a big school, ~16-18,000 student body size, so I assume it would be a regular party place. UO in Eugene (where I live) certainly is.

mtbr member

It is

But not as much as OU

Depends on your "tastes"...

If you are into sheep and weed then it's a golden place. If you are into riots and drunken frat bros then UO is your place. I guess it's nice to have options...

Kraig...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

red sox and sheep

Thanks for the input. For the record I wear a red B on my head. You guys even helped me with a question i didnt have to ask and I choose the sheep. Good hear that the trails dont have anything to do with fastfood with only downside of not have a quick place to eat after a intense session of sheep sheering. thanks again and hopefully ill be there in the fall. If you see a clyde on a beutiful schwin wearing a B say something and we might sheer some sheep in between trails. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah the options sound good, im thinking UO fits my style nicely. Hows the riding up there? Pretty wet im guessing?

Now I can get serious...

Thanks for the input. For the record I wear a red B on my head. You guys even helped me with a question i didnt have to ask and I choose the sheep. Good hear that the trails dont have anything to do with fastfood with only downside of not have a quick place to eat after a intense session of sheep sheering. thanks again and hopefully ill be there in the fall. If you see a clyde on a beutiful schwin wearing a B say something and we might sheer some sheep in between trails. Thanks again.

There is great riding either place (Eugene or Corvallis) and much of it is "close" for the most part. It's sort of a win/win rather than a win/lose deal in that respect.

Swampluv, I'm a fellow clyde that loves the sox and to ride so come on down/over. Be careful with the sheep thing up there though. You should do a search for: Corvallis+sheep+football and see what happens (the Oregonian had a couple of nice articles).

Once you are here give a shout and I'm sure there are plenty of us to show you around.

Good luck.

Kraig...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    As only Reeves can put it, Excellent

mtbr member

BeaverU Alumni Here!

Born and raised Oregonian. I lived in Portland for 15 years, then Eugene for 3 years, then Corvalis for 3 years, and I am currently living in Central Oregon.

Eugene is a great town and the UofO is a beautiful campus. There is probably better night life in Eugene all in all, but Corvallis is also a kick ass town with more trail riding right out your back door than you will ever find in Eugene. Mac forest is packed with lots of double track climbing and single track decents (sp).

Oregon in general is a mountain bike mecha. Great riding almost every where you call home.

Good luck with your venture.

Jason

just like a speeder-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    Oregon in general is a mountain bike mecha. Great riding almost every where you call home.
    Mac forest is pretty fun; I think it's got some year-round riding, too.

As for the "meccas within the Oregon mecca," I think of Oakridge, Bend and Hood River; awesome, endless networks of trails in those areas. You'll be, I think, maybe about an hour and a half from Oakridge? Lucky bastard. (Search for posts of pictures from, say, the Alpine trail.)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I grew up riding in oregon and made the move to upstate NY for grad school a 2 yrs ago, man I am jellous that you are heading back to the good stuff.

Cheezy Rider
    I work at OSU. 10 minute ride from my house to campus, 5 minutes to get to single track. Unfortunately, it's mostly mud from November to May.
    But there are plenty of logging roads and a few maintained trails that are ridable year round, so you can get your fix any time, if you don't mind gettng wet. The whole rain thing can be pretty inconsistent...last year we barely had any from January through March, a lot of ski resorts didn't even open. This year we set a 31-day record from Dec 19 to Jan 19, almost 20 inches of rain. You can pretty much figure that at some point every year we'll get enough rain to make you sick of it.

Early fall the riding is awesome, so you'll get a good taste when you get here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There's plenty of riding for whatever your style. The local trails are nothing to right home about but fun none the less. The legal stuff is graveled double track good all year. The illegal stuff is usually tight techy singletrack that comes in short burst with logging road connectors. Steep up, steep down ... nothing rolly. An hours drive will give you whatever your pedals desire. And the wet factor can't be underplayed, it's soggy here 9 months of the year. Hahaha.

Local Trails:
    http://www.mac.oregontrailseries.org/course/50kwest.GIF
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/recr...idge1350.shtml

Clubs nearby:
    http://www.merrycranksters.org/
    http://www.disciplesofdirt.org/
    http://blackrockfreeride.org/mx/index.php

Shops:
    http://www.santiambicycle.com/
    http://www.bicycleway.com/
    http://www.fullcycles.com/

Cheezy Rider
    ...and then there's days like today, sunny and 60 degrees. I better go home early, I feel a cold coming on *cough*.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    With due respect to Mr. Buddha, he is exaggerating a bit.

There are several decent legal singletrack trails in Mac Forest. One is open all year, even in wet conditions. Most are not ultra challenging, but not just fireroads either, and at least you are in the woods.

Northridge Trail on Mary's Peak will test all but the best riders.

The wet season more realistically is 7 or 8 months total. I'm averaging wet and dry years, and including a few windows of good weather such as we are having now to come up with this.