mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Oregon for a week

Heading on a road trip to Oregon (May 9th - 16th). Driving up from Utah with my Following. Solo trip so have the freedom to go anywhere I want. So many damn choices it's hard to narrow down which areas I must hit.

So far I've got Bend and Hood River on the list, any other must ride areas/trails? Prefer high speed over slow speed tech but will gladly ride anything.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    From Bend you're not too far from Oakridge or the McKenzie River Trail.

From Hood River you're not too far from the Washington side of the Columbia, which could get you access to the Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham epic (if it's open) or the Cold Creek trail systems. Or stay closer and check out Syncline. You could also go the other way around Mt Hood as far as Sandy Ridge or some of the trails around the east side of the mountain.

A bit more distant to reach Alsea Falls (flow) and Blackrock Mountain Bike Area (freeride). I hear good things about Mt. Ashland but haven't been; shuttles of that have started in the lower parts.

Could make some more specific suggestions if you were more clear with your preferences. For example are you looking for something like the Phil's network (flat twisty XC trails that you can hammer fast on) or like the Wanoga trails (bermed flow trails with some jumps and drops) in Bend when you refer to "high speed"?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tbmaddux View Post
    From Bend you're not too far from Oakridge or the McKenzie River Trail.

From Hood River you're not too far from the Washington side of the Columbia, which could get you access to the Ape Canyon / Plains of Abraham epic (if it's open) or the Cold Creek trail systems. Or stay closer and check out Syncline. You could also go the other way around Mt Hood as far as Sandy Ridge or some of the trails around the east side of the mountain.

A bit more distant to reach Alsea Falls (flow) and Blackrock Mountain Bike Area (freeride). I hear good things about Mt. Ashland but haven't been; shuttles of that have started in the lower parts.

Could make some more specific suggestions if you were more clear with your preferences. For example are you looking for something like the Phil's network (flat twisty XC trails that you can hammer fast on) or like the Wanoga trails (bermed flow trails with some jumps and drops) in Bend when you refer to "high speed"?
    Anything high speed is good with me. Preference these days is to keep the wheels on the ground rather than launch big stuff. Haven't ridden in Cortez yet but love fast flowy xc stuff that points downhill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mopes View Post
    Anything high speed is good with me. Preference these days is to keep the wheels on the ground rather than launch big stuff. Haven't ridden in Cortez yet but love fast flowy xc stuff that points downhill
    He's talking about the Phil's network in Bend....which has plenty of fast and flowy trails but you'll climb to get to them. I personally think the Bend trails are over-rated compared to Oakridge, the Hood area and the North Umpqua Trail. I love the top half of the McKenzie River Trail but the bottom section gets monotonous in my opinion. I haven't ridden Ape Canyon but it's the #9 rated trail in the country on MTB Project dot com
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    He's talking about the Phil's network in Bend....which has plenty of fast and flowy trails but you'll climb to get to them. I personally think the Bend trails are over-rated compared to Oakridge, the Hood area and the North Umpqua Trail. I love the top half of the McKenzie River Trail but the bottom section gets monotonous in my opinion. I haven't ridden Ape Canyon but it's the #9 rated trail in the country on MTB Project dot com
    Thanks, I've got no problem climbing a few thousand feet to get to the goods...

Nat
    mtbr member
    For "high speed" I'd hit the Wanoga trail system in Bend and the bottom half of the McKenzie River Trail.

If you have time on your way to Hood River you might want to do a quick ride at Gray Butte near Smith Rock State Park. It's beautiful and worth it just to see Smith Rock even if you don't ride. From the Skull Hollow trailhead pedal up and go counterclockwise around Gray Butte then descend Cole Trail. Approximately 10 miles, 60-90 minutes.

Have a good time!

https://thedyrt-prd-photos.s3.amazon...jpg?1434682692

mtbr member
    love fast flowy xc stuff that points downhill
    Oakridge. You might be able to get a shuttle from Oregon Adventures. They're not open yet but if they are it'd be right up your alley:

Oregon Adventures Shuttles | Oregon Adventures

Failing that you can always pedal up. Talk to the folks at the Merc about conditions. They know what's up but don't update their webpage very often. Here it is anyway:

Trail Conditions | Oakridge Bike Shop - Willamette Mountain Mercantile

Look into the epic-style rides east of Mt. Hood. Surveyor's, Gunsight, Gumjuwac. I haven't ridden them but they sound like your kind of thing. Maybe not opened up yet by May? I just don't know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Oakridge. You might be able to get a shuttle from Oregon Adventures. They're not open yet but if they are it'd be right up your alley:

Oregon Adventures Shuttles | Oregon Adventures

Failing that you can always pedal up. Talk to the folks at the Merc about conditions. They know what's up but don't update their webpage very often. Here it is anyway:

Trail Conditions | Oakridge Bike Shop - Willamette Mountain Mercantile

Look into the epic-style rides east of Mt. Hood. Surveyor's, Gunsight, Gumjuwac. I haven't ridden them but they sound like your kind of thing. Maybe not opened up yet by May? I just don't know.
    Suyverys and dogriver "should be" open by then but not much above it with blowdown and the snow we got.
    Mt. Ashland is awesome. Not sure when the shuttles will be running but its totally woth it.
    Oakridge
    Post,
    Syncline will be all posion oak by then so **** that.
    Wynoga trails in bend.
    Cold creek
    rock creek camp ground to Tarbel to chinook, and back down

mtbr member

Surveyor's trail conditions

Quote Originally Posted by elistan View Post
    Suyverys and dogriver "should be" open by then but not much above it with blowdown and the snow we got.
    Mt. Ashland is awesome. Not sure when the shuttles will be running but its totally woth it.
    Oakridge
    Post,
    Syncline will be all posion oak by then so **** that.
    Wynoga trails in bend.
    Cold creek
    rock creek camp ground to Tarbel to chinook, and back down
    I'm doing a similar trip next week...hoping to do Surveyor's, Alpine, Mrazek and stuff around Phil's.

Anyone know for sure what the conditions are for Surveyor's???
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Oregon for a week

Thanks all I really appreciate the feedback. Just gotta get my dropper sorted out now, New reverb 170 showed up busted outta the box

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm also doing the same trip. Looks like I'll have to ride up to Alpine because the shuttle is not open. Just wondering, is it a fifteen mile ride up to the cut off? Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The ride up to the top of Alpine is more or less 15 miles. 3 miles or so on the North Fork Trail, 11 miles on roads 1910 / 1912 if you go that (I recommend you go that way) to get to Kate's Cut In. Its then about a mile from Kate's to the top meadow on Sourgrass Mt when you turn left at Kate's.

When are you coming? There is still some snow on the last stretch of road to Kate's, but it is melting fast. Folks have got through. The rest of the trail is snow free accessible.

mtbr member
    May 5th Trail Conditions Update | Oakridge Bike Shop - Willamette Mountain Mercantile

"Snow levels have been fluctuating over the past month but Derrick reported he was able to reach Kateís Cut In the other day. The trees have not been cleared from Windy Pass up but it sounds like it isnít a deal breaker if you donít mind lifting your bike up."

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the directions. I will be there around may 9th or so. I'll be staying in Bend and was going to Oakridge for a day or two. I also want to do the MRT. Should be a good week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmith1 View Post
    Thanks for the directions. I will be there around may 9th or so. I'll be staying in Bend and was going to Oakridge for a day or two. I also want to do the MRT. Should be a good week.
    Nice. I think I'm driving up to bend on Monday. Maybe sooner if I can convince the wife...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    We've had good rains here in Bend the last couple of days and looks like maybe some more today. Lower trails (Phil's area, Maston, Peterson, etc) should be great this weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sweet. Just booked a room in bend tomo, going to rally up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm also doing the same trip. Looks like I'll have to ride up to Alpine because the shuttle is not open. Just wondering, is it a fifteen mile ride up to the cut off? Thanks
    It's still early season, but possible if your in the parking lot 9ish you could find someone to shuttle with. Not sure on conditions but tire & clover turn it into one of the best rides out there
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just got to bend. Gotta pick a ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just got to bend. Gotta pick a ride
    Did funner and lower tiddlywinks. Upper was still covered in snow so had to ride up lower. Nice start to the trip. Only saw one other rider.

Gonna check out phils and possibly maston tomo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    so funner was good to go? I hope to hit the closed trails on sunday. Then come back and do some of the others.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    so funner was good to go? I hope to hit the closed trails on sunday. Then come back and do some of the others.
    Funner was good to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Phils was running fast. Hit maston this morning. Gonna check out mrazek tomo but I hear it's good to go also.

I think I took all the vert of SLC for granted. Didn't realize how flatish things would be up here but not complaining.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Plenty of elevation to be had. One thing I always try to explain to my friends when they visit is there is no best time. Early season the lower (& well known) stuff is good. When that's blown out the higher elevation stuff is opening up. When that's blown out the coast trails are coming into their prime. Then there's the big backcountry rides like angels staircase that can be snowed in at the pass until Sept.

If you can add cloverpatch and tire mtn to Alpine DO IT!!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Phils was running fast. Hit maston this morning. Gonna check out mrazek tomo but I hear it's good to go also.
    Not sure how many days you're here but Peterson Ridge outside of Sisters is fun right now.

I think I took all the vert of SLC for granted. Didn't realize how flatish things would be up here but not complaining.
    This time of year that's all we get. We'll have more vertical available after the snow melts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    So my girl and I were thinking of heading up for a few days but sounds like most stuff around Bend is too wet still? Mackenzie no go? We were hoping to hit some of those jumpy lines like tiddly and the traverse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just got back from Mckenzie. It's good to go. My legs not so much...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Alpine is the real deal. Heading back up tomorrow for round two. Few trees down at the top but decent visibility.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

mtbr member
    Shuttles start Friday! I'll be hitting ATCA as soon as the volunteers get the top cleared of blowdown.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Shuttles start Friday! I'll be hitting ATCA as soon as the volunteers get the top cleared of blowdown.
    Yep that's what they said at the shop. Was able to find another guy and shuttle today and tomo.

You like atca better than alpine?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yep that's what they said at the shop. Was able to find another guy and shuttle today and tomo.

You like atca better than alpine?
    Yeah. Alpine/tire/clover/back onto alpine. Dropping down the backside of the mountain puts you in a true old growth environ...it's awesome. Also highly recomend dead mountain. If you found someone to shuttle with do both

mtbr member
    I'm late to the party but if you're coming through Klamath Falls you owe it to yourself to check out Spence Mnt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Finished it up with a second lap of alpine then a couple laps in post canyon and back home.