Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Rep Power: 35,956
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,679

    Oregon Vacation...where to go?

    Hey guys. So I'm headed up to Oregon in July. I know it's a long time from now, but I want to hit up some local trails and bike shops while I'm there. I'll be in the Sherwood area visiting family. Are there any local trails nearby? How about good LBS? I'm thinking about picking up a new bike while I'm up there. Hopefully I can get a good deal or something. The prices in Hawaii are pretty steep, close to MSRP or MSRP, plus Oregon is tax free.

    I maybe able to have one day to try out a local trail. I wouldn't mind hooking up with some of you folks to go on a epic ride.

  2. #2
    Rep Power: 35,956
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,679
    I've been doing some research. Looks like Fat Tire Farm is close to where I will be. You folks have any experience with them? I'm looking to get another 29er bike. Do they have a pretty good selection of bikes?

  3. #3
    Obviously Single
    Reputation: LeeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,129
    Fat Tire Farm is a great shop -- I like it very much. Most will either love or hate it, depending on if they got ignored or mistreated on their first visit (IMHO).

    In general, they are a good mid-high-end shop. Good knowledge, good bike choices, decent parts sitting around, and nice folks working there. In my experience, they do excellent work but cost a bit more than other (less excellent) shops.

    As far as the Sherwood area, there are no local trails, but lots of back (dirt) roads, e.g. on Chahalem Mountain and Bald Peak (just NW of Sherwood). You can drive 30-45 minutes west and hit Tillamook Forest, and there's one trail a little closer, around Hagg Lake. Of course you can head east that time of year and ride in the Columbia Gorge, e.g. Hood River and friends. And there's always Mt. Hood.

    Check out the Portland Bike Club (Northwest Trail Alliance) for other trail info, group rides, etc.
    The Lee-Man

    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    205
    Between cycle path and fat tire farm most bike brands offering good 29ers are represented.

    I purchased a yeti sb95 from cycle path and the deal went super smooth. They swapped out the 3x drive train for a 2x and a shadow plus RD for $40.

    Fat tire built up to me an über expensive wheel set and they nailed it. I gave them my list for the build and they said no problem, take about a week. Good people.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    427
    Buy a bike at Fat Tire Farm and then head east 1hr to sandy ridge and rip some great single track.

  6. #6
    Cannonball!
    Reputation: coiler-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    453
    Easy, best place for a MTB vacation in Oregon...

    SW Washington!

  7. #7
    Rep Power: 35,956
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,679
    Hey thanks for all the feedback guys. I am really excited about this trip. I've been to Oregon once before but it was for a family wedding. I was there for only 3 days, but it was spent hanging with the new family. Plus I wasn't into MTB back then. I believe I'm going to be up there for a full week visiting the family again. I think if I plan ahead and nail down the places I want to go, then I can fit in a bike shop visit and possibly a short trail ride in one day.

    Most of the stuff I ride here is mossy, rooty, muddy trails. I haven't really been on a fast hard packed singletrack. It's hard to find anything like that over here. We don't have any MTB specific trails or anything like that. So it's going to be a new experience for me.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by coiler-d View Post
    Easy, best place for a MTB vacation in Oregon...

    SW Washington!
    Are you picking up a Discover Pass for him? ha...
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Hey thanks for all the feedback guys. I am really excited about this trip. I've been to Oregon once before but it was for a family wedding. I was there for only 3 days, but it was spent hanging with the new family. Plus I wasn't into MTB back then. I believe I'm going to be up there for a full week visiting the family again. I think if I plan ahead and nail down the places I want to go, then I can fit in a bike shop visit and possibly a short trail ride in one day.

    Most of the stuff I ride here is mossy, rooty, muddy trails. I haven't really been on a fast hard packed singletrack. It's hard to find anything like that over here. We don't have any MTB specific trails or anything like that. So it's going to be a new experience for me.
    You are going to like it. I go to the North Kohala Coast every year and I have a solid idea of what you get to ride. The ST here is pretty special. You will like climbing without the humidity more than you can imagine.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  10. #10
    Cannonball!
    Reputation: coiler-d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    Are you picking up a Discover Pass for him? ha...
    Zinggg!

  11. #11
    Rep Power: 35,956
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    You are going to like it. I go to the North Kohala Coast every year and I have a solid idea of what you get to ride. The ST here is pretty special. You will like climbing without the humidity more than you can imagine.

    Hey so did you check out Kulani or Kalopa while you were here? Where did you ride?
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Hey so did you check out Kulani or Kalopa while you were here? Where did you ride?
    I have always stayed on the North Kohala Coast. Rode everything listed in the John Alford book(not much to choose from). Hooked up with a semi-retired doctor in Kona who gave me a guided tour of the hills/farmland above Kona. Spent a lot of time exploring the lava fields around the Mauna Lani area. The only "trail" that I rode countless times is that ST that drops you down to the black sand beach into Polulo Valley. I love that area! The kids are older now, so the last couple of years I have avoided the run into Kona to pick up a bike. Most of the time is spent in the water paddle boarding now. Next year I may send you a note... we usually head over after school is out. Ridden quite a bit on Oahu as well, mainly North Shore. There are a few trails above Dillingham that I have enjoyed thoroughly. Maybe I can try out the "wet" side of the island next year. With the weather here I am starting to think about your paradise at this very moment.

    Cheers!
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

  13. #13
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,468

    Sweet

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Hey so did you check out Kulani or Kalopa while you were here? Where did you ride?
    We go to Maui every year in February. I usually road ride and NEVER want to leave. The warm air, overwhelming beauty, and good vibes are incredible. This year I'm going to try some mountain biking up in this reserve a guy was telling me about....riding in the morning and chilling in the afternoon. Wow!

  14. #14
    Rep Power: 35,956
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    We go to Maui every year in February. I usually road ride and NEVER want to leave. The warm air, overwhelming beauty, and good vibes are incredible. This year I'm going to try some mountain biking up in this reserve a guy was telling me about....riding in the morning and chilling in the afternoon. Wow!

    Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in awhile....

    Lucky guy, not even I go to Maui every year and it's only an island away.

    Well if you ever make it to the Big Island, we have some pretty good mountain biking here. Not a lot of trails, but just enough to satisfy whatever you maybe looking for.

    Anyways, my Oregon vacation is just a few months away. I'm getting pretty excited. I will try my best to ride some trails when I get up there. I can't promise anything though cause the main objective of this trip is to spend time with my relatives. Too bad none of them are into mountain biking.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

  15. #15
    Rep Power: 35,956
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,679
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa#1 View Post
    I have always stayed on the North Kohala Coast. Rode everything listed in the John Alford book(not much to choose from). Hooked up with a semi-retired doctor in Kona who gave me a guided tour of the hills/farmland above Kona. Spent a lot of time exploring the lava fields around the Mauna Lani area. The only "trail" that I rode countless times is that ST that drops you down to the black sand beach into Polulo Valley. I love that area! The kids are older now, so the last couple of years I have avoided the run into Kona to pick up a bike. Most of the time is spent in the water paddle boarding now. Next year I may send you a note... we usually head over after school is out. Ridden quite a bit on Oahu as well, mainly North Shore. There are a few trails above Dillingham that I have enjoyed thoroughly. Maybe I can try out the "wet" side of the island next year. With the weather here I am starting to think about your paradise at this very moment.

    Cheers!

    The "wet" side of the island has a pretty good variety of trails to offer. Kulani is always a fun place to ride. Plus it's only a few minutes out of town. You are more than welcomed to join the crew down here for a ride.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

  16. #16
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,468
    Have you ever done Halaukela on Maui? I am considering riding from Lahaina up it and back one day while in Maui.

  17. #17
    Rep Power: 35,956
    Reputation: Mazukea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,679
    Nope, can't say I've ever ridden on Maui. I swear I've only been to that island about 4 or 5 times. I've been to Haleakala a few times though. I bet it would be a fun ride going up....and very fun coming back down.
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    93
    Hey give me a pm if your interested in tentatively planning a ride. I am heading to the big island in march or so to visit the in-laws and I need a good reason to bring my bike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •