Thread: Oregon Tires

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. Oregon Tires

Spending the summer in Oregon and I want advice on tires for two different areas.

The Bend/Central Oregon area
    and
    Cascade/Coastal Range type areas (Sandy, Scappoose, Black Rock)

I have been doing almost all of my riding in the Chihuahua desert as of late, so I am running super knobby, slow rolling, heavy duty tires that I HATE because of the weight but are nice for having decent traction and durability. (dry loose over looser over loosest over hardpack with needles/sharp rocks/thorns).

I am willing to change out tires for different locations and I will run them tubeless (whether or not they are UST). Looking for a 2.3-2.4 front and 2.2-2.3 rear.

EDIT: I am looking for fast-ish rolling with very good cornering performance. Trail to AM style riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shiggy lives in the area, so should have some good advice because he tries everything.

I would recommend:

1. Mutano Raptors - 2.4 front and 2.2 rear

2. WWLT (not made anymore, but can still be bought) front with mutano 2.2 rear.

3. Conti Mountain Kings - the new X-King looks good in pictures too

Lots of others too...

Out spokin'
    I enjoy Maxxis Ardents. Kinda 'do it all' tire except for mud.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I have had very good luck with this set up:

Front: 2.4'' Continental Mountain King
    Rear: 2..35" Maxxis High Roller
    (also used the Intense For Lites 2.4" absolutely bomber but HEAVY)

mtbr member
    for a 29er, I love the Stout for the rear and Werewolf for the front, both fast with good grip and good volume tires.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    Spending the summer in Oregon and I want advice on tires for two different areas.

The Bend/Central Oregon area
    and
    Cascade/Coastal Range type areas (Sandy, Scappoose, Black Rock)

I have been doing almost all of my riding in the Chihuahua desert as of late, so I am running super knobby, slow rolling, heavy duty tires that I HATE because of the weight but are nice for having decent traction and durability. (dry loose over looser over loosest over hardpack with needles/sharp rocks/thorns).

I am willing to change out tires for different locations and I will run them tubeless (whether or not they are UST). Looking for a 2.3-2.4 front and 2.2-2.3 rear.

EDIT: I am looking for fast-ish rolling with very good cornering performance. Trail to AM style riding.
    You would get limited suggestions from me as I never recommend using any standard tires and/or rims without inner tubes.
    Last edited by shiggy; 12-16-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I run Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front and Maxxis DHR 2.35 on the rear of my AM bike for riding Blackrock and Sandy Ridge.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    You would get limited suggestions from me as I never recommend using any standard tires and/or rims without inner tubes.
    Yeah. It really depends on the tire. I have had great AND mediocre experiences.

Making fat cool since '71
    I LOVE my Ardents (2.4) at BR and for fast/sketchy riding. I run a sticky one up front. I also LOVE the Syncros Point 'N Chutes.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Making fat cool since '71
    (sorry for the double post...I don't love the tires enough for a double post)
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s
    Yeah. It really depends on the tire. I have had great AND mediocre experiences.
    I imagine shiggy's position has more to do with inter-industry relations and apparent public responsibility than actual product performance.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

MattSavage
    2.35 Nevegals, front and rear.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    2.4 Trail King front
    2.4 Mt King rear

Slow on the climb but plenty of confidence when coming back down.

Justin Vander Pol
    Maxxis Minions! Not the lightest, but you will get addicted to the cornering traction. They now make a nice variety of sidewalls and rubber compounds.

I walk the line
    Quote Originally Posted by juice
    Maxxis Minions! Not the lightest, but you will get addicted to the cornering traction. They now make a nice variety of sidewalls and rubber compounds.
    I don't know about that. It sounds like the OP is looking for more of an xc tire, and the Minions are definitely more oriented to the gravity set.

Try a Specialized Clutch Control up front, with an Eskar in the back. They have great tubeless options, and make surprisingly nice tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I imagine shiggy's position has more to do with inter-industry relations and apparent public responsibility than actual product performance.

--sParty
    Not really. IME converting standard tires and/or rims is a royal PITA, a crap shoot if a combo will work at all and potentially dangerous.

I have tried it.

Just not worth the hassle when I can take a UST spec rim, a UST or tubeless ready (UST spec bead) and have it mounted and ready to ride, using a floor pump, in under 2 minutes.

If somebody wants to run converted tires/rims, fine. Just be aware of the risks. Way too many avocates of DIY tubeless glaze over the downsides. It is far from the cure all many claim or easy to deal with.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Panaracer Rampage 2.35's. Great all-around tire and lighter than Nevegal's

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BluKoolaide
    I don't know about that. It sounds like the OP is looking for more of an xc tire, and the Minions are definitely more oriented to the gravity set.

Try a Specialized Clutch Control up front, with an Eskar in the back. They have great tubeless options, and make surprisingly nice tyres.
    The OP did mention Blackrock (freeride, dh) and Sandy (XCDH trail... traction is appreciated... you can corner hard out there) and Scappoose (which has a steep + fast DH trail).

Minion 2.5 EXO 3C is not so heavy (relatively speaking: 855gm).

Those specialized tires do look good. I'd like to try a set. Lots of good tires to choose from these days.

Sometimes I say stupid things

mtbr member
    I'm dreading the day when I use up my last set of 2.5 WTB Moto Raptors.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I'm dreading the day when I use up my last set of 2.5 WTB Moto Raptors.
    What are you gonna do?I am in the same boat.
    Master of Laundry...Lord of Cleaning!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What are good 26" tires for the mud? I'd prefer folding (single speed, if that matters).

I've been very happy with my Jones MudX for my 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker
    What are good 26" tires for the mud? I'd prefer folding (single speed, if that matters).

Hard the beat the Bonty Mud X as an all-round mudder, 26 or 29. I do prefer the 26" in 1.8.

Maxxis Medusa, Schwalbe Dirty Dan are also good.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Try a Specialized Clutch Control up front, with an Eskar in the back. They have great tubeless options, and make surprisingly nice tyres.[/QUOTE]

I second the Spesh Clutch 2.3, such an awesome tire for most of all riding terrain and disciplines. Does great in loose, duff, wet and loam and decent on hardpack too. I am running the Clutch Control 2.3 2bliss (single-ply) on my Stan's Flow rims with a scoop or two of sealant for all of my riding and they do great for both going up and down since they only weigh 760g's/tire and save some weight without having to run tubes as well. They do run a tad slow when climbing, somewhere in between a Nevegal and a Muddy Mary, but absolutely rail in just about any terrain coming down. I just got back from an all trail ride with mixed rocky, buffed trail and some snow climbing/descent of nearly 3k' in under 6 miles on a 33.3lb bike with no probs whatsoever. They are my favorite "AM" tires to date and I have run quite a few different options out there over the years. Like them for everything Oregon and the NW has to offer as far as trails go. If riding a bunch of slickrock with occasional loose singletrack, like in the SW of the country, I would probably opt for the Conti Trail King instead in a UST since the regular beads/sidewalls are pretty thin and very susceptible to thorns and punctures.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Do you run the Mud X front and rear?

I'm riding rigid too, so I won't mind the 1.8" in the rear, but might want something larger up front for "suspension".

Take Chances
    I have been using Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E in the front and a 2.1 Nevegal DTC in the rear for most riding. Neither are UST but I have stan's'd them. Pretty good setup all around.

Picked up a pair of KOT 2.35 for front and back for mud. The are mud biting machines. I run them with tubes. I don't think the high side knobs are going to last.

Do you run the Mud X front and rear?

I'm riding rigid too, so I won't mind the 1.8" in the rear, but might want something larger up front for "suspension".
    Yup.

Heck, I like to run the old Medusa 26x1.55 f&r, rigid.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by tymelero
    I have been using Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E in the front and a 2.1 Nevegal DTC in the rear for most riding. Neither are UST but I have stan's'd them. Pretty good setup all around.

Picked up a pair of KOT 2.35 for front and back for mud. The are mud biting machines. I run them with tubes. I don't think the high side knobs are going to last.
    KOTs are pretty good, as long as the ground is soft. You also need to run the 2.35 on a 28mm+ rim or it feels like you are riding on ice in the wet.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sounds groovy! Luckily the Trek official website has the 26x1.85 MudX TRL tires for $23.99 each while the bigger ones are $20 more .. I'm gonna go check some LBSs tomorrow to see what they run, but if they aren't comparable, then I will just order some up tomorrow night. Thanks for the advice Shiggy.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Lets us know

Sounds groovy! Luckily the Trek official website has the 26x1.85 MudX TRL tires for $23.99 each while the bigger ones are $20 more .. I'm gonna go check some LBSs tomorrow to see what they run, but if they aren't comparable, then I will just order some up tomorrow night. Thanks for the advice Shiggy.
    But a 1.85 tire sounds really skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    But a 1.85 tire sounds really skinny.
    And rides very well
    mtbtires.com

I walk the line
    And rides very well
    On dirt roads.
    My girlfriend stole my hipster jeans.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Heck, I like to run the old Medusa 26x1.55 f&r, rigid.
    I tried a Medusa as my rear tire and thought it sucked in the mud. The knobs are so small and wimpy it has very little traction at all. I don't see why anyone would want this tire in really muddy conditions. The Schwalbe Black Shark has it beat hands down...
    "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."

mtbr member
    "IME converting standard tires and/or rims is a royal PITA, a crap shoot if a combo will work at all and potentially dangerous"

True, it seems like about half of the standard tires out there don't mount up securely or hold air all that well when installed tubeless, especially most standard Kenda's and Continentals. A death wish waiting to happen as I have experienced first hand my standard Kendas (before there were UST Kenda's available) blowing off my UST rim, even with sealant after landing a "floater" at speed.

FWIW, I have had good luck with Schwalbe BB's, WTB Prowler 2.5 only, Maxxis Minion and HR single-ply 2.5 wire bead holding air well with DYI conversion kit (rim strips and sealant).

To date, I just run tubeless with Stan's rims (Flows) and tubeless compatible tires (Spesh Clutch Control), but UST on UST is the best for reliability out there if you can find a UST rim and UST tire that suits your needs the best, I haven't yet.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Totally agree - Mutano 2.4 both front and rear tho, their skinnier 2.4's. If super rocky/loose/loamy - Weirwolf 2.3. Tubeless of course.

Ovaries on the Outside

Late to the party, but I picked up some Stouts for this winter and they've been really really great. I heart them.

Members who have read this thread: 0