Thread: Oregon Sunshine

mtbr member

Oregon Sunshine

Beatiful day in the Oregon backcountry, we had blue sky (not much), rain and plenty of singletrack

Coming down XT Ridge

Through some big trees

Jedi like

Turn Pike time

It's all down hill from here

Great ride and good route, thanks to Sparty for planning it.
    Just the Pictures

The Shop

The Blog

Time To Ride,
    General Coonskins

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Looks fun

Oakridge area? On Friday, I was at my Goldendale office. The employees were all pressed against the windows watching it rain. It is like a westerner when it snows. It was funny watching their excitement about the rain. In a month we will be in snow and ice up there..and they won't say a word. Too bad there is not good riding in that part of the State of Washington.

Jaybo

meatier showers

More photos

This is how the day began...

Getting ready to go... still no rain

Lou hams it up during a break on the climb

Snack break at the top of the climb. Lou's still hamming it up

Bianca hams it up

Another break at the west end of Winberry Divide Trail

Lou again... you guessed it

"That cool section" of North Shore Tie Trail

Guess who's still hamming it up for the camera

Max Steel crosses one of many creeks along the way

Sheri is about to catch BIG air!

How the day ended...

It was a wet day, but not bad. In fact it was quite warm. Good trails, good peeps, good times. Thanks, everybody!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Singletrack Addict
    Great shot!

Your photography has become quite excellent. Watch out Sasquatch!

Not much riding for me lately. It's all about the Turkey.

Singletrack Addict
    Actually now that I've had a couple beers, I like this one:

DOD Member
    hate to admit it, but that is me on my way down because of a 12" jump I couldn't land. Later in the ride I got lazy on a rubber water bar and biffed! Anybody got any training wheels I can have?

It was a good day.
    MaxSteel

Known Mountainbiker
    Sorry I didn't make it out for this ride, I'm currently working on getting to my "base condition" so I can start my base training for next summer. FYI, when you order a "mucho grande margarita" that translate to "a really big fu**ing margarita". I did not know that. I should of studied harder back in my spanish classes and I wouldn't of been so hung over this morning.

Flaps, how did that drainage work we (and Drew) did on NS Tie last spring hold up?

Nice photos all.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cazloco
    Sorry I didn't make it out for this ride, I'm currently working on getting to my "base condition" so I can start my base training for next summer. FYI, when you order a "mucho grande margarita" that translate to "a really big fu**ing margarita". I did not know that. I should of studied harder back in my spanish classes and I wouldn't of been so hung over this morning.

Flaps, how did that drainage work we (and Drew) did on NS Tie last spring hold up?

Nice photos all.

Caz
    The work we did worked out quite well. There wasn't near as much standing water on the trail as there would have been without our efforts. The draindips are holding up well so far, and the culverts we cleared are actually flowing!

Thanks too to Sparty and General Coonskins for the photos. I wasn't motivated to get out my camera since they were doing their thing.

FlapSS

High Speed Botanist

Nice day in the warm rain

Thanks for all the pics fellas. Good company by all, too bad we didn't have Hungover Chris with us. Paul, nice work wrecking in front of the camera, that's the place to do it. Everyone was smiling all day it seemed, must have been happy to be out on our bikes in the rain "That one area on NS Tie" is just a prime little piece of flowing trail, Best Ever? Well, there's that "one" spot on Lawler.....hmmm Lawler The rocks and switchbacks that followed were plenty good too. Till next week.......

Making fat cool since '71
    Who'd-a-thought rain+singletrack+DOD=good times? Oh yeah, we would.

Good day folks. I've always enjoyed NS tie. Someday I'll ride it when it's dry...

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

meatier showers

Dude!................

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Who'd-a-thought rain+singletrack+DOD=good times? Oh yeah, we would.

Good day folks. I've always enjoyed NS tie. Someday I'll ride it when it's dry...

Brock...
    .........you posted at 2:57am. Are you up early... or late?

Whatever. See you for pre-trailwork breakfast in a couple hours.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Talk to me Goose.
    Rain is the one thing I don't miss about Oregon. I rode yesterday in 60 degrees and sunshine - Dark Mtn. in North Carolina.
    The mountains aren't quite as big out here, but the riding is still very good.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I hear you

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Pete Mitchell
    Rain is the one thing I don't miss about Oregon. I rode yesterday in 60 degrees and sunshine - Dark Mtn. in North Carolina.
    The mountains aren't quite as big out here, but the riding is still very good.
    I was talking to my parents last night, they live in Tri Cites, and recently moved up from California; they told me they hate the climate of the NW. They like the Tri Cities and enjoy the area but people here don't understand how nice other places are in the county. In San Diego, you get up and grab a cup of coffee this time of year and enjoy a warm day. It is sweet!

Jaybo

Talk to me Goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I was talking to my parents last night, they live in Tri Cites, and recently moved up from California; they told me they hate the climate of the NW. They like the Tri Cities and enjoy the area but people here don't understand how nice other places are in the county. In San Diego, you get up and grab a cup of coffee this time of year and enjoy a warm day. It is sweet!

Jaybo
    I lived in Portland so long that I just got used to doing everything in the rain. It's 70 and sunny in NC today - perfect riding weather.
    Don't get me wrong - Oregon is great, but I sure do like the sunshine!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo

Jaybo
    Some people like to have a distinct change in the seasons. Tends to keep the population down compared to those places with always "nice" weather, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I woke up this morning and thought to myself, YES! It was overcast, with a little drizzle & temps in the low 50's. By the time I got to the trail head it was only overcast, by the time I got to the top of the first climb the sun was out AGAIN and it was ~ 82 degrees. I hate not getting a break.

LT. PM Fall is a wonderful time of year in the Mid Atlantic/SE enjoy it. You have ice to look forward to in the mountains, and the rain starts in late march and ends in late may... then you get to look forward to nice hot humid July, August & early September. I loved the riding in NC N. GA mountains. If you hit Ashville post ride grab a bite to eat at the Mellow Mushroom (ok beer selection) and then stroll down to the marble slab icecream place to undo all the good you did on the trails.

Talk to me Goose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    I woke up this morning and thought to myself, YES! It was overcast, with a little drizzle & temps in the low 50's. By the time I got to the trail head it was only overcast, by the time I got to the top of the first climb the sun was out AGAIN and it was ~ 82 degrees. I hate not getting a break.

LT. PM Fall is a wonderful time of year in the Mid Atlantic/SE enjoy it. You have ice to look forward to in the mountains, and the rain starts in late march and ends in late may... then you get to look forward to nice hot humid July, August & early September. I loved the riding in NC N. GA mountains. If you hit Ashville post ride grab a bite to eat at the Mellow Mushroom (ok beer selection) and then stroll down to the marble slab icecream place to undo all the good you did on the trails.
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm looking forward to exploring as many trails as possible while I'm living in NC. So far I haven't been disappointed. I just got so used to the rain in Oregon that I forgot how great it is to ride in the sunshine. No matter what, a ride is a ride and I enjoy them all.

Making fat cool since '71

I've lived all over...

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob

...and OR is the best IMNHO. The southern Willy valley is as close to "perfect" for me as can be. I like a change of seasons, green plants, and don't mind the rain...so, it's all groovy. To each their own though, and thank gawd there are those that hate the rain. We don't need to turn into SoCal, or the BayArea or anywhere there's an Applebee's in CO or...

Enjoy the ride folks.

Brock...

PS: lots of trailbuilding was done in a steady downpour today....man I love this place!
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    What Brock said...
    I started MTBing in Oregon, and have ridden in a few other places. I loved being in Utah, enjoyed the sun when I was there, but before a week had passed, I found myself missing the trees, shade, and yes, even the rain.
    Good ride out there yesterday, and that was some good trailbuilding today. 15-16 peeps can get a lot done together in a relatively short time.

mtbr member

If you like sun....

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Pete Mitchell
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm looking forward to exploring as many trails as possible while I'm living in NC. So far I haven't been disappointed. I just got so used to the rain in Oregon that I forgot how great it is to ride in the sunshine. No matter what, a ride is a ride and I enjoy them all.
    .... try central TX. I miss (real) trees, the smell of decomposing leafy loam in the fall, playing on logs, creek crossings, the first snow ride. I used to curse winter and spring for the "slop" and rain. BTW, when it rains here, people don't know what to do with themselves. They'll slow down to 20 MPH on the highway... insanity. I suppose I agree with ImaKlyde, I like seasons. Rain won't melt you, and makes you appreciate those days where sun is out. Enjoy the ride guys & gals.