mtbr member

Oregon roadtrip to Blackrock, what to ride along the way?

One of my buddies and I are heading to Blackrock in late September and we'll be spending a full week in Oregon. As cool as Blackrock is, we'd like to check out other stuff on the way there and on the way back down to California. My goal is to hit Ashland on the way there but as far as other riding options go I'm a bit lost. What do you guys recommend for two dudes that will have their 6 inch AM bikes AND dh/fr bikes along for the trip? We're not at all against pedaling uphill to get good descents, but the priority of this trip for us will be good descents. We'll just have one car so shuttling is probably out of the question unless any of you would be so gracious to meet up with two Cali road trippers and be our guide.

But yeah, we crave the sweet singletrack that we have heard exists in Oregon.

ride the moment
    Well Mary's Peak is about 20 miles off I-5. Its about a 12-14 mile loop (I'm guessing) with a really killer descent down the North Ridge Trail. Lots of techy roots, yet still a very fast trail. Pretty good trail visibility in most spots so you can safely get some speed up... it is frequented by hikers on the weekends. I'm sure there are some pics on here if you poke around.

Take exit 228 off I-5 and stay on OR 34 towards the coast. It meets up with OR 20 for a while through Philomath and then they split. Bear right onto OR 20 and drive a couple miles. On the left you'll see Woods Creek Rd. Take that left and drive all the way up. It turns into gravel and eventually you'll hit a gate. Park there. Ride your bike past the gate and up the portion of Woods Creek Rd. that is closed to cars. Its a few miles (3-5 not really sure but its not too bad) and at the end you'll see another gate. Just past The second gate on the right will be the East ridge trail. Ride up the East ridge trail, taking a left at the only fork and you'll come out in the parking lot at the top. Ride across the parking lot and the North Ridge Trail starts on the other side. Its a sick ride.

Note: There is a "Tie Trail" between the north and east ridge trails near the top which is sort of uneventful. Just take a left at the fork on the way up East, and they stay to the left at the intersection near the top of the North on your way down.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    One of my buddies and I are heading to Blackrock in late September and we'll be spending a full week in Oregon. As cool as Blackrock is, we'd like to check out other stuff on the way there and on the way back down to California. My goal is to hit Ashland on the way there but as far as other riding options go I'm a bit lost. What do you guys recommend for two dudes that will have their 6 inch AM bikes AND dh/fr bikes along for the trip? We're not at all against pedaling uphill to get good descents, but the priority of this trip for us will be good descents. We'll just have one car so shuttling is probably out of the question unless any of you would be so gracious to meet up with two Cali road trippers and be our guide.

But yeah, we crave the sweet singletrack that we have heard exists in Oregon.
    North Umpqua Trail, Oakridge area, Crawfish
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    North Umpqua Trail, Oakridge area, Crawfish
    Nice call Shiggy! Sending two freeride guys up the NUT. You one smart fella!!!
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

Quote Originally Posted by jeff spicoli
    Nice call Shiggy! Sending two freeride guys up the NUT. You one smart fella!!!
    On their all mountain bikes, bonehead.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    It's not that we're diehard freeride guys... We're just bringing freeride/dh bikes along for the ride. Personally I'm more of an epic 4-5 hour backcountry xc guy that just happens to still own a freeride bike. Heck I'm more of a roadie now than I am a freerider guy. My AM bike is a Specialized Pitch with a 36 float, dual ring xtr... so it's essentially a very pedalable mini dh machine. It doesn't stop me from doing lung busting 8-9 mile climbs to get to a patch of singletrack and I'm okay with a grinder of a climb if the descending is worth it. So yeah, climbs are totally cool as long as the descents bring grins to our faces.

Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    It's not that we're diehard freeride guys... We're just bringing freeride/dh bikes along for the ride. Personally I'm more of an epic 4-5 hour backcountry xc guy that just happens to still own a freeride bike. Heck I'm more of a roadie now than I am a freerider guy. My AM bike is a Specialized Pitch with a 36 float, dual ring xtr... so it's essentially a very pedalable mini dh machine. It doesn't stop me from doing lung busting 8-9 mile climbs to get to a patch of singletrack and I'm okay with a grinder of a climb if the descending is worth it. So yeah, climbs are totally cool as long as the descents bring grins to our faces.
    There are ups and downs on the NUT. Huge grins on the descents of some sections. Down stream on Deer Leap and Jessie Wright are a blast. Starts with a stiff climb for a couple of miles.

There are other threads about Crawfish and Oakridge riding.
    mtbtires.com

Making fat cool since '71
    Depending on when in September (I'm out a week towards the end) I'd love to show you Crawfish, help with a shuttle. I've climbed the road enough times this year to ride it, it may be time for a shuttle on that one. It's one of my fave OR shuttles. The NUT is excellent XC riding, great stuff. Lawler and Hardesty are good "shuttle" type rides. Done the right way...a great day on the bikes would be to shuttle Crawfish, Hardesty and Lawler. It would be a fair bit of driving, but man what a day of shuttlemonkey-ness!

When are you "here?"

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Depending on when in September (I'm out a week towards the end) I'd love to show you Crawfish, help with a shuttle. I've climbed the road enough times this year to ride it, it may be time for a shuttle on that one. It's one of my fave OR shuttles. The NUT is excellent XC riding, great stuff. Lawler and Hardesty are good "shuttle" type rides. Done the right way...a great day on the bikes would be to shuttle Crawfish, Hardesty and Lawler. It would be a fair bit of driving, but man what a day of shuttlemonkey-ness!

When are you "here?"

Brock...
    Brock:

My buddy and I will most likely be there from Sept 27 or 28 through Oct 1. We're leaving on the 25th but taking our time to get up there and riding in my old stomping grounds in Humboldt and then checking out Ashland before we make our way to Salem and Falls City. We'll be most likely driving back on the second of October so my buddy can get to a wedding on the 3rd. We'd be perpetually stoked and thankful to have a good guide for a trailride, and if you're up for it and available we're definately in to meet up and shred.

-Ian

can't get here by wishin

me too

i'd like to sign up to ride with brock and you guys too... i'll "help" by riding in the cars and going down the trails....which i could sweep as i'm pretty slow...

it means 'no problem'
    Reading the OP my first thought was make the drive the rest of the way up to Hood River and ride Post Canyon. Perhaps that's too far out of the way / not enough time. You wouldn't regret it, though. Also, if we get some rain consider heading over to Bend. It's good here.
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey