mtbr member

Oregon road trip

My wife and i are planing a road trip from Houston to Oregon to scout it out thinking of moving in the next year or so. What are some of the trails that are a must when we are there we ride mostly XC as we live in Houston and there is nothing else here but would love to try some other riding styles. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Two questions: (1) when are you thinking of visiting (it makes a difference b/c of snow or heat; and (2) where are you thinking of moving in Oregon.

Assuming you are coming in the summer, here are the trails I would go for (in order):

1. 2-3 days in Oakridge - Since you like XC, look at the Middle Fork of the Willamette, Alpine-Tire-Cloverpatch, Moon Point, and Waldo Lake. Check with Randy at Oregon Adventures for shuttles.

2. 1-2 days on North Umpqua - a bit out of the way if you live in Portland, but right on your way if you are coming from Houston. The top sections--Dread and Terror through Jesse Wright are my favorites.

3. 1 day on the Mckenzie - Many people say this is their favorite trail in Oregon and it is beautiful. I prefer Oakridge and the NUT, but you should still try to go to the Mckenzie.

4. A day or two in Bend - too much to ride here to really describe, but you can get a lot of the flavor of the area in just a day or so. Just be sure to bring your own job if you want to move there--perhaps in distressed real estate.

5. Hood River - In the spring/fall, try Syncline. In the summer, try Surveyors Ridge. Great town too!

6. St. Helens - This is in SW Washington, otherwise I would list it third overall. The Ape-Canyon/Plains of Abraham trail is really special.

Dang - now I really want it to be summer right now!

mtbr member
    forgot to mention that it would be middle to end of July trust me heat is a non issue for us we rid in Houston and its normally above 100 in the summer. Not sure were we want to move that's why we are going to scout it out just looking for a change of life style i grew up in Alaska and my Wife in Brazil and tired of the hustle and bustle of Houston and the flat flat land. Thanks for the info thorkild

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishei1
    forgot to mention that it would be middle to end of July ...
    Mountain Bike Oregon
    http://www.mtbikeoregon.com/

Get a good taste.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    forgot to mention that it would be middle to end of July trust me heat is a non issue for us we rid in Houston and its normally above 100 in the summer. Not sure were we want to move that's why we are going to scout it out just looking for a change of life style i grew up in Alaska and my Wife in Brazil and tired of the hustle and bustle of Houston and the flat flat land. Thanks for the info thorkild
    The only place I won't recommend in July is Syncline b/c it just bakes in the sun all day and there are so much more pleasant places that time of year. Where are you from in AK? Both my wife and I are from there two. She's from Anchorage and I lived all over the state growing up, but anchorage most recently.

And--listen to Sparty. MBO is a perfect way to get a ton of riding in over a few days!

mtbr member
    North Pole moved to houston for school after high school and some how got stuck here. It sucks you can only camp a few month of the year with our sweating to death LOL. But god is it cheep to live here!

Making fat cool since '71
    MBO would be a great way to get a good idea of some of our riding, plus you could hit the other areas on the way in/out of OR...Oakridge area has good trails and good variety. "The Gorge area" has some good riding, the NUT is *****in' but there isn't the amount or variety of other areas. Bend riding is fine, but I prefer OakTucky and Hood River stuff.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    I lived in Houston for a couple years and now live in Portland...Houston does suck and I'll even go as far to say the whole southeast portion of Texas sucks.

Thorkild pretty much nailed it. I will also add the Northeast corner of Oregon around LaGrande, the scenery is amazing and there is some really good riding to be had too, but not a lot of it. If I were to tour Oregon, I would definitely add this area to the list.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    yea OldHouseMan it sucks have to drive 1:30 just to get to any hills at all and thats only like a 400-600 foot elevation change LOL i think 1300 ft is as high as i have climbed on a bike and had to go 4 hours west to do that in comfort TX I will be talking to the wife about MBO tonight!!!

mtbr member
    yea OldHouseMan it sucks have to drive 1:30 just to get to any hills at all and thats only like a 400-600 foot elevation change LOL i think 1300 ft is as high as i have climbed on a bike and had to go 4 hours west to do that in comfort TX I will be talking to the wife about MBO tonight!!!
    You will still need to drive 1 hour, give or take a few minutes, (Bend, Hood River and Ashland are the exceptions) to get to quality singletrack from most metropolitan areas in Oregon, but these places will yield much better riding than what is around Houston.

And it'll be hard to find any trails in Oregon that do not yield at least 1300' of elevation change.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    i don't mind the drive but like you said the 1:30 drive here only gets you a nice little 7.6 mile loop or a HUGE 16 mile loop next to it LOL

Out spokin'
    Speaking for Eugene... Whypass (25 miles of "secret" stash trails) is half an hour drive; Oakridge is about an hour away... most trailheads are a bit farther than that (Alpine being a notable exception).

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    IT'S FINALLY TIME!!!!!!!! We leave today for for our trip i cant wait we are making a side trip to L.A. to see a friend the its time to ride!

Singletrack Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishei1 View Post
    IT'S FINALLY TIME!!!!!!!! We leave today for for our trip i cant wait we are making a side trip to L.A. to see a friend the its time to ride!
    Sweet!

What did you decide for an itinerary?

Members who have read this thread: 0