ICEBERG52
    Aug 2009

Oregon mtb trip planning

So, i was riding my bike and i came across a hiker. He was on a 7 day hike with just a back pack and a waterbottle.

This really makes me want to do something similar but on a mtb. but more like 3 days.
    So if any one knows of a few trails that i could do, just a point A to point B trip. That would take 3 days with 15-35 miles a day.

So if anyone knows of anything that would fit this criteria or suggest anything that would be great, thanks.

Ok, thanks guys, so i think ive decided on doing the North Umpqua River Trail, looks pretty sweet. So im 17 and i was going to do it with a friend, here is the list i came up with for the 3 day trip, anything i need to add? i dont plan on taking all the stuff listed because its a 3 day trip, but what am i missing? thanks

List:FOOD AND SUPPLEMENT:
    Day 1, Arrival Day 22 miles
    Snacks: Beef Jerky, mixed nuts
    Supplements: 2 powerbars, 2 power gels
    Lunch: pb&j, apple, granola bar
    Dinner: Can of cambells chunky soup, and couple of tortillas
    Day 2, "Easy Day" 18 miles
    Breakfast: Oatmeal, cooked on fire
    Snacks: jerky, mixed nuts
    Supplements: 1 powerbar, 1 powergel
    Lunch: Can of chili, with some tortillas and fruit
    Dinner: Can of hormel corn beef hash on some tortillas, and a onion cooked in foil by the fire.
    Day 3, Final Day 26 miles
    Breakfast: Oatmeal, fruit.
    Snacks: mixed nuts, raw ramen noodles
    Supplements: 2 powerbars, 2 powergels
    Lunch: chili and macaroni n cheese
    Dinner: Should be home, so maybe a stop to Taco Bell to indulge!!!
    CAMPING, HYDRATION, MISC. SUPPLIES
    OK, so just to cover the basics of eveything non-bike related.
    Light sleeping bag
    small, light tent
    can opener
    knife
    water purification tablets
    map
    ziploc bags
    electrical tape
    zipties!
    money
    TP!!!!!
    emergency poncho
    clothes pins
    wristwatch
    camera
    pen and paper for diary of trip
    3 water bottles, 2 on bike
    lighter, matches
    flashlight/headlamp
    electrolytes
    sporks
    bowl
    pot
    FOR THE BIKE
    2 extra tubes
    tire pump
    oil/lube
    tools, allen wrenches, screwdriver
    tire handles
    patches
    gloves
    helmet
    shoes
    CLOTHES
    light towel
    riding shorts
    2 pairs of spandex
    3 pairs of socks
    2 jerseys
    2 tshirts
    swim trunks
    flip flops
    Last edited by santacruzsl52; 10-25-2009 at 02:17 PM.

mtbr member
    check out some of the pack light trips guys are doing all over the nation in the vacation and travel chapter of this forum. Lots of good information from people with experience.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Umpqua River Trail

mtbr member
    I have some friends that did a supported trip in the Fremont National Forest, I do not know the route they took.

The Boundary Trail between Mt St Helens and Mt Adams could be done as a multi day trip, but tuff as hell.

I've heard of people riding the "Prefered Cycling Trail in Southern Oregon, I wouldn't recomend it, and don't get caught.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

ICEBERG52
    Aug 2009
    have you done this trail before? any advice?

ICEBERG52
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarider1
    Umpqua River Trail
    have you done this trail before? any advice?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzsl52
    So, i was riding my bike and i came across a hiker. He was on a 7 day hike with just a back pack and a waterbottle.

This really makes me want to do something similar but on a mtb. but more like 3 days.
    So if any one knows of a few trails that i could do, just a point A to point B trip. That would take 3 days with 15-35 miles a day.

So if anyone knows of anything that would fit this criteria or suggest anything that would be great, thanks.

Ok, thanks guys, so i think ive decided on doing the North Umpqua River Trail, looks pretty sweet. So im 17 and i was going to do it with a friend, here is the list i came up with for the 3 day trip, anything i need to add? i dont plan on taking all the stuff listed because its a 3 day trip, but what am i missing? thanks

List:FOOD AND SUPPLEMENT:
    Day 1, Arrival Day 22 miles
    Snacks: Beef Jerky, mixed nuts
    Supplements: 2 powerbars, 2 power gels
    Lunch: pb&j, apple, granola bar
    Dinner: Can of cambells chunky soup, and couple of tortillas
    Day 2, "Easy Day" 18 miles
    Breakfast: Oatmeal, cooked on fire
    Snacks: jerky, mixed nuts
    Supplements: 1 powerbar, 1 powergel
    Lunch: Can of chili, with some tortillas and fruit
    Dinner: Can of hormel corn beef hash on some tortillas, and a onion cooked in foil by the fire.
    Day 3, Final Day 26 miles
    Breakfast: Oatmeal, fruit.
    Snacks: mixed nuts, raw ramen noodles
    Supplements: 2 powerbars, 2 powergels
    Lunch: chili and macaroni n cheese
    Dinner: Should be home, so maybe a stop to Taco Bell to indulge!!!
    CAMPING, HYDRATION, MISC. SUPPLIES
    OK, so just to cover the basics of eveything non-bike related.
    Light sleeping bag
    small, light tent
    can opener
    knife
    water purification tablets
    map
    ziploc bags
    electrical tape
    zipties!
    money
    TP!!!!!
    emergency poncho
    clothes pins
    wristwatch
    camera
    pen and paper for diary of trip
    3 water bottles, 2 on bike
    lighter, matches
    flashlight/headlamp
    electrolytes
    sporks
    bowl
    pot
    FOR THE BIKE
    2 extra tubes
    tire pump
    oil/lube
    tools, allen wrenches, screwdriver
    tire handles
    patches
    gloves
    helmet
    shoes
    CLOTHES
    light towel
    riding shorts
    2 pairs of spandex
    3 pairs of socks
    2 jerseys
    2 tshirts
    swim trunks
    flip flops
    When are you going? It can rain a lot this time of year and completely change your entire trip.
    I would also opt away from canned food and having to carry a can opener. They weigh a lot, take up room, don't fill you up long term and then you are stuck with a can. Check out Trader Joes, they sell whole grain rice in plastic one service packets as well as soups, Indian curry and other options. I would cook all your meals once at home that you plan for dinner. Right now it doesn't seem that important, but it will once you are out there. Chocolate rocks too. And more on trail food.
    Also, I would recommend 3 pairs of spandex, one change of clothes to wear all evenings and riding clothes like jerseys you can wear more than once. Also, your riding shorts can be your swim trunks. Do bring a book or magazine if you know you will be by yourself.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!! You might also want to check in with the store in steamboat to shuttle you back up to your car once you are done.
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Are you asking about the Umpqua ? If you are its about 80 miles long. One of the most epic rides in the country. Contact Cogwild in Eugene for details.

ICEBERG52
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cog Wild
    When are you going? It can rain a lot this time of year and completely change your entire trip.
    I would also opt away from canned food and having to carry a can opener. They weigh a lot, take up room, don't fill you up long term and then you are stuck with a can. Check out Trader Joes, they sell whole grain rice in plastic one service packets as well as soups, Indian curry and other options. I would cook all your meals once at home that you plan for dinner. Right now it doesn't seem that important, but it will once you are out there. Chocolate rocks too. And more on trail food.
    Also, I would recommend 3 pairs of spandex, one change of clothes to wear all evenings and riding clothes like jerseys you can wear more than once. Also, your riding shorts can be your swim trunks. Do bring a book or magazine if you know you will be by yourself.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes!! You might also want to check in with the store in steamboat to shuttle you back up to your car once you are done.
    Ok, thanks cog wild. i know there are alot of those dehydrated meals and stuff, and thats what i would probably get for the trip. Its just a rough list, i was going for flavor more then weight mostly. And i would like to have the cans to boil water in or something, i have the military can openers, about the size of a quarter, didnt plan on doing the kitchen sized one, lol.

I dont plan on going till the spring, or even the summer maybe. Wish i would of thought of this sooner! I am new-ish to biking (roughly 4-5 months) and i was just thinking that doing this would be alot of fun, i never realized that there was so many people that do these things.

Great idea though on the bike shorts as swim trunks! =p

I will check out Trader Joe's, i love going there anyways lol, but i dont think i really need more trail food, mostly because im used to riding 20+ miles with only having a granola bar and a water bottle. But i wont turn down the chocolate!!!
    Im not much of a reader, but i plan on doing this with a friend, wish i could just carry my guitar with me =p

So i have one more question, is a 5 day trip worth carrying along a trailer?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The earliest I've seen the upper sections open is April 1 and then some years they're not open until June. It all depends on the snowpack.

For late spring and early summer you will definitely need some mosquito repellent for those upper sections. But most importantly if you are sensitive to poison oak, get some Tecnu to wash off the oil. Its on all of the sections downstream from Toketee, but particularly prevalent on the lower sections.

The two places that I am aware of that provide day shuttles are the North Umpqua Store at Dry Creek and the Lemolo Lake Resort. I don't know if the Steamboat Inn provides shuttles.

I hit Dread & Terror today and it was fantastic.

Tree Hugger
    Do not bring a trailer. It will ruin the ride.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

it means 'no problem'
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan
    I have some friends that did a supported trip in the Fremont National Forest, I do not know the route they took.

The Boundary Trail between Mt St Helens and Mt Adams could be done as a multi day trip, but tuff as hell.

I've heard of people riding the "Prefered Cycling Trail in Southern Oregon, I wouldn't recomend it, and don't get caught.

Better advice is just don't ride the PCT at all. It isn't open for bikes.

The Fremont is very challenging in route finding, elevation gain & loss and remoteness. If you're going there alone, or even with a friend, I would strongly suggest you check in with the Forest Service offices in Lakeview, Paisley and Silver Lake if only to tell them your intentions. Carry a water filter.

Have fun!
    "“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Edward Abbey

mtbr member
    If you do the North Umpqua trail you can camp in a central location, or create drop sites at designated campgrounds along the route, if you really want to feel like you are roughing it. Personally I like the centralized camp set up.

Cheers,
    BFE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sans soucie
    Better advice is just don't ride the PCT at all. It isn't open for bikes.

The Fremont is very challenging in route finding, elevation gain & loss and remoteness. If you're going there alone, or even with a friend, I would strongly suggest you check in with the Forest Service offices in Lakeview, Paisley and Silver Lake if only to tell them your intentions. Carry a water filter.

Have fun!
    Was only joking about the PCT.

Another trail to check out is the Elk Horn Crest Trail in the Blue Mts. It'll be another tuff one.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I personally can not imagine riding the NUT trail with three days of food, clothing, tent, etc on my back. Starting from the top, you have narrow sections with a 60 foot drop right off the trail, people loose their balance with just a camelback on. There are also so stout climbs.
    This summer a friend and I took the Bob trailers out on an overnight camping trip. We packed pretty damn light - lightweight tents, sleeping bags, prepared food so no stove, one water bottle each. Our two extravagances were a pillow and a full size towel for after swimming. Even with this, our Bob's had some stuff on them, so for those who say don't bring a Bob, I am not sure about that. They are really fun to take on trail, don't hold you back and can handle the trail well.
    I am stoked to hear that you are doing this with a friend, that will make it even more fun!! You could also look into having the store pick up your stuff and shuttle it to your next evening destination for you. You are riding long distances if you plan to do it in 3 days, while in 5, carry stuff makes sense. My hubby and I have done this before, we were in New Zealand - you get dropped off on this peninsula by boat, they take your bags to where you are camping that night, next morning you put your bag back on the dock and they bring it to your next camping spot, and this continues for 5 days, pretty damn fun and similar climbing and downhill to the Umpqua.
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!!

ICEBERG52
    Aug 2009
    ok, thanks for all the advice all 3 of you. Im not looking for a nice comfortable ride so much though, i want to do the "survival" type thing, we are packing light, just food, tools, sleeping bag, and im not sure if were even bringing a tent. i ride some trails out near Hood River, mostly Gorge 400 Trail, and that trail has some really skinny and tight corners so i got practice

As for the 60 ft drops... well i am a good enough rider, and i know when to get off my bike and walk when a trail is too sketchy. (i learn from experience, worse thing about falling down a swithcback is the walk back up

Do you know how far west the trail goes?(like does it run into a town or close to one?) i want to do as much of the trail as i can, because from the pictures i have seen it looks amazing!