mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Oregon mountain biking in October

We're thinking of taking a biking trip in October - considering Idaho, Oregon. We'll either be leaving from Vancouver or Fernie BC. Is the weather ok in Idaho for biking/camping/hiking that time of year.... and where is a good place to go for some nice buff trails. Any help would be greatly appreciated (any suggestions for other locations or places to stay would be great too).

Thanks!

meatier showers
    I'm in Oregon. I can tell you this for sure -- the weather here will either be awesome or miserable. Or somewhere in between.

--Sparty

P.S. If you come to Oregon in late October, get to Barbie Camp Oct. 24-26. Riding, socializing, campfires, potluck, mustaches.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    It could be 40 and rainy or 80 and beautiful. Your best bet to be dry and somewhat warm would be Bend.

Known Mountainbiker

PNW Weather Forecast.

Here in Oregon, we have a 50% chance at forecasting the weather correctly two days in advance. Our forecast chances increase to 75% day to day. I can tell you what the weather is right now but that claim only holds for another five minutes and after that, we're back to the 75% forecast.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Partly cloudy with a chance of rain or snow. Works for the Bend forcast from October to May.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Bend: Almost a sure thing.

Hood River: Ditto, but higher chance of rain. Road 44 trails almost a sure thing.

Oakridge: Same, same.

Ketchum: Watch the forecast. October can be bite-butt cold, and you can easily get snowed out of the good stuff in the Stanley Basin. Imperial Gulch area a more sure thing, but again, potential COLD mornings!

As mentioned above, Bend is the best bet. If it rains, it will only be better, as it's pretty dry and dusty at the moment (or it was a week ago, anyway).

PM me if you make it to Hood River. We'll find something stellar.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks to everyone for the advice... I think we're going to head to Oakridge this weekend, and stay about a week. What's a good hotel to stay at? I am planning to bring my dog.... any problems with taking dogs on the trails? We may also bring kayaks and would just be looking for a very easy river for a beginner....class I-II .... is there any section of a river around there that would qualify, and actually have enough water to paddle?

Thanks again

DOD Member
    You are in luck for the kayak thing. The Middle Fork of the Willamette runs right thru Oakridge and for the most part has very mellow rapids, but has significant current. The biggest rapid on the river is just below the "green" bridge and is easy to scout. Put in at Greenwaters Park on the east edge of Oakridge and float either a 4 mile, or 8 mile section. (roughly)

The North Fork runs together with the Middle and is a really fun river when the rains come. Lots of III, IV stuff in it! Not a beginner river. Lower sections of it are doable right now, but even at these levels, the pour overs and short falls are not for novices.
    MaxSteel